An Afternoon of Wonder Around Mambajao

I think my guide knows what places visitors want to see! Like this first fly-by...
The Mambajao Town Hall. Oh ha?! I've passed this way on arrival this morning, right? But I just let him guide me to wherever he wanted. Doing it this way, gives me a feel of what locals are proud of and what they think visitors should see!

This is one of the smallest I have seen in this country! It is even obviously already spruced up and expanded, but still “cute”. Yeah, I don’t know why it looks attractive to me! Probably their keeping that main structure intact. But look at the roof gutter, it’s disintegrating. Somebody please help them. Can you?!

No one will probably bother anymore as they have a new one up across the church!


Next we made a u-turn to also just make a fly-by at their church.
The San Nicolas De Tolentino parish built in the early 1990s. Nice!


An Old House. There are many of these in Camiguin!
This one they call Norkis. Yeah, because downstairs is a Norkis branch.

Like everywhere else, most of the ground level areas of these old houses are already being converted to concrete. But I like it that the general olden look of the upper floors are are still maintained. Not for long I suppose, since wood can only last so many years. And these houses were probably up in the 40s, 30s, 20s or even earlier.

I wonder if our recent architects and engineers have thought of designs and/or building materials that are sturdy and long-lasting but can emulate those kinds of look or designs. Would be great, 'no?!


Another Old House. They call this Landbank - for obvious reasons!
If you noticed in my earlier story, I already snapped a photo of this one (from the other side) as I entered town.

Still great and can even still house a bank! Therefore secure as a bank needs it to be, right?! But I wonder, is the second level floor still wood? Hmm, then one can easily get into the bank or its vault! Ah, they probably wouldn’t have made this their branch if they thought it was not that safe enough!


More Old Houses. Same fate as the others. Ground level gets to be concreted first.
I hope they’d be able to maintain that era look when they repair upper levels. But I wonder, are there lasting materials that can be made to look like wood?


Yet Another Old House!
How cruel of “modernization” ‘no?! Look at this one, the need to widen that pavement has almost eaten into the original structure of the house. But still beautiful, I guess! Do you see that non-painted portion at ground level? Yup, hollow blocks walling na!

Oh, where that maroon era-looking jeep and the motorbike are parked? I think that would have originally been just the "side" of this house - since there is a balcony on the (right)side facing that smaller road. Now it looks like they seem to have switched, since the bigger road (provincial highway) is this one on the left. Side became front!

Let's move on...

THE Provincial Capitol of Camiguin. Yes, really!
Startled at the miniscule size of this building, I asked my guide "are you sure?" and he nodded vigorously! But the big letters couldn't lie, plus, those men affirmed it, so I had to believe!

Imagine, Camiguin was already a sub-province in 1958. It became a province in 1966. And this is their capitol? If those guys told me this was a police station, a clinic, a museum or a barangay hall I would have believed them pronto!

They did tell me that actually, their 'old capitol' is somewhere downtown (near the church), but they assured me it is no bigger nor grander! They say it is now occupied by TESDA. I itched to see it, but we were still going upland. Maybe next time.
When I looked around and beyond this 'facade' though, I noticed that the capitol compound is a sprawling wide area with a series of low-level buildings. That just made me think "who needs a grand structure, if they can serve their people this way", right? Oo nga naman... but hello Barangay Mactan or Barangay Mabolo! Whaahehehe!


Anyway, let's get moving even more...


And here is One More Big Old House (of the rural type, that is)
All I could say was "yan ang bintana"! I wonder, would you still need even an electric fan up there? I doubt! Nothing but an unlimited supply of fresh natural air! Coolness!

Yep, surely cool fresh mountain air since this one is a bit on the outskirts I saw as we were fording a fine road going towards the Katibawasan Falls.

Uh-huh, Katibawasan Falls! But let's do that next!


To read the chronology of stories on this trip, click the following article numbers:
01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26
27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Post a Comment

0 Comments