The Tuguegarao Kalesa

Out of the cathedral, I started my intent to roam nearby places. This is the old center of town in the first place, so I knew I would see and learn many things in this area alone.

Voila! I saw a kalesa!
kalesa as a commute mode in Tuguegarao Cagayan
In my mind I was saying: "oh okay, they also have kalesa up here, that's nice". But, nothing for me to wonder about. They are still common at many places in the Philippines.

I just waited for it to pass, so I could cross the road. You see, across (to the left of kalesa) is/was the city hall (not in photo) that is now a commercial building with many stores. I wanted to walk on that side going to their Rizal Park, so that I could somehow be under the shadows of buildings and trees. It is still a scorching sun at 4:34PM! But.., but..,

But..! OMG! When kalesa passed in front of me, I noticed something...
kalesa as a commute mode in Tuguegarao Cagayan
Do you see that?! Yes, the wheels! Those are (I am guessing) I think, the kinds that you use for motorcycles, right?! Haha, now THAT is 'kakaiba'! Unique to Tuguegarao I think!

I mean I have seen kalesas in many places like Luneta, Binondo, Laoag, Vigan, Cebu, Iligan, etc., but their wheels are of the 'how it was in the past' style. They're all of the "wild wild west" type - big in circumference and made of wood (and steel?).

These ones in Tuguegarao use the modern motorcycle wheels, and this was the first time I saw something like that. Ah hahaha, as I walked, I kept an eye at each and every kalesa. They are ALL the same! None of them anymore use the big old wooden wheels!

Then of course I started imagining... less friction, better for the animals. And less bumpy, better for the passengers! Why not coconut?! Clever! Yes, very clever indeed!

Unfortunately, I never got to ride one. Next stop, (the next story) was very near kasi:)

==========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of my notes:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30
31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40
41   42   43   44  Forty four stories just 4U!
==========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.



Post a Comment

0 Comments