My Aborted Callao Caves Visit

Bummer! But I enjoyed it hehe!

Done with the sumptuous lunch at Crown Hotel & Restaurant, I went out and hailed a tricycle though still unsure on where (else) to go. When a trike stopped, I asked where would be good places to visit in Tuguegarao at this time.

His initial reply was Iguig, I said I just came from there. Then he said Callao Caves, and I said I have been there long ago. Next he said something like a river. I asked "ano meron dun", and he said "swimming parang beach". Almost laughing, I actually got curious.

I was still thinking on what next to ask when this driver added that, if we go further from that river "beach", Callao caves is just actually nearby. And he offered that there is now a different approach to the cave, from the river, that we can go to. Hmm, that caught my attention, so I said let's go!
45mins into the ride, just when I thought we were already near the cave's entrance, trike veered right on a 'fork intersection' and the road seemed to be steeply going down...

I did not say anything, just went with the flow, it looked interesting...
There were vehicles and people down below, so I thought this must be the river...

OMG I realized yes IT IS the river that is "like a beach" that driver said earlier...
Pinacanauan River Beach Picnic Area
Ang daming tao! As the tricycle rolled going down, driver and I agreed that we might as well go straight to see Callao Caves first, then stop here on the way back to the city.

I was jaw-droppingly silent hahaha


Wide-eyedly bewildred...
Pinacanauan River Beach Picnic Area


Those are people of all kinds and all ages...
Parang beach nga! Yes a public beach, on a river! OMG what a wonderful sight!

Out of that 'river beach', we continued and the road looks very rural...


There is even this thing that looks like a collapsed bridge...


The sign says we have to turn left...
At this point, I have been sitting on this tricycle for exactly an hour.

Well, I liked looking at that old house. I wish there'd be more...
Oh and a diligent young lady! Meron pang ganun?! At least in this far away place...

Turn left again... nakakabgot na!


We finally reached this canal, which driver said is indicator we have arrived


Arrived at what? Well, here... another bank of the river...
As I was walking ahead (excited?), driver told me to turn right at that corner...

And I saw this!
OMG! Another public beach by the river hahaha! I really love the experience. First time I saw a river treated by hundreds (or thousands?) of locals as if it were Boracay! And at various portions of the long river ha?!

See that? This is really a tourist destination. They have their maps and legends
Oh where's the police? Sa likod ng map. Ayun sa gilid sa kanan, naka-blue!

No wonder my trike was asked to park by the canal...
Full parking area. Everywhere there's a vehicle!

Alright, so driver explained to me that this is Pinacanauan River...
Pronounce that as Pi-na-ka-na-wan. And he explains that although this is still very long and far to the right (upriver), those we have passed earlier are way far downriver.

Ayan, ayan, ayan na! Diagonally across the river... the entrance to Callao
boat crossing the Pinacanaian River to reach Callao Caves
Red arrow points to the parking area (you see parked vehicles there) for those who went the usual way - the road direct from Tuguegarao. Green arrow points to the docking station for those like us who would cross the river, then climb the stairs to the cave entrance.

My driver asked around, and commissioned this boat just for the two of us...
Yes that's him in white pants, I was already seated at the other end of the boat (near the engine) when I took this photo!

It is quicker this way (charter), instead of waiting for the boat to get full.
Calla Cave Boats
I did notice, all boats sport that kind of engine. Pang-speedboat yan ha?! So this is not so rural a place after all, aight?

Too many people swimming as we pushed back...
The two boatmen had to make noises, sounds, whistles or say "excuse me" just for our boat to be able back out from the riverbank and turn facing towards Callao Caves entrance.

Now here is where the "bummer part began. Our boat was already speeding to cross that river. Somewhere somehow though, other boatmen coming back from the cave were telling things to our boatmen. They were conversing in their language - even my trike driver could not understand what they were saying.

The more senior of our two boatmen was decision maker here. He was behind me, in charge of the engine. He stopped the boat in the middle of the river halfway to the dock. They were still asking other boatmen.

Then, our boat turned back to where we came from. Boatman behind me was still muttering things. I think he was like protesting or something - even cursing. I asked "anong nangyari", he answered in his language so I didn't understand.

I turned to my driver... with that expression, I sensed it... "no go"...
We were not properly told what the real story was. I just know they returned our boat payment and we went away.

My tricycle driver was feeling guilty feeling ashamed that this happened. He apologised, I did not say anything and just smiled, for what was to say anyway, right? We both did noth understand very much what has just happened.

I thought to myself, maybe it was already too late to enter the cave. But it was only 2 minutes past 3PM. Ah maybe there were still too many people in line. Ah whatever! Soon I dropped thinking about Callao. We were back in the river!

Yes,the 'river beach' hahaha. This time we stopped and took a closer look...
Its a big wide river, and people can congregate on both banks. They just choose their preferred spot and camp-in, howsoever they like to do it! Aliw.

Oh those cottages, they're "for rent", though temporary structures for the day...
Yep, driver told me that when the day ends, when all visitors are gone, those who erected those "cottages" are required to tear them down. Oh I see...

Yes I see a jeep full of everything it looks enormuous!
overloaded jeep at Pinacanauan Bridge Tuguegarao
Hahaha, I did not think I'd see this kind of situation here. This is still Tuguegarao City! That person in white almost covering the driver's view is a child. Above him are three ladies.

And this is the back view of the same jeep...
overloaded jeep at Pinacanauan Bridge Tuguegarao
That guy in white out front (on the roof of course hehe) is so at ease where he is seated that he was busy in an animated conversation with the person beside him. How do we call that, still "seat-mate" or "perch-mate"? Whatever hehe!

Here comes another one with more people on top..!
overloaded jeep at Pinacanauan Bridge Tuguegarao
See that boy waving? He saw me taking a photo. But behind him, with that purple phone is a girl taking photos of where they're passing - probably including me! Hahaha, bow!

This is the back of that same jeep...
overloaded jeep at Pinacanauan Bridge Tuguegarao
Too many people, right? And up on top are some women and girls. I can't even imagine how they clambered up there and how they'll get off later.

Now back at the river... Even new vehicles also go swimming!
people and vehicles at the Pinacanauan River


And oh here's another one fully loaded jeep!
You would wonder, how many jeeps are there that ply this route, and how many people. Why do they have to cram themselves on one vehicle? Wala na bang iba?

Anyway, after that long and winding travel...
Here we were at the intersection going to city proper.

And the rest is history hahaha!

==========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of my notes:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30
31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40
41   42   43   44  Forty four stories just 4U!
==========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.



Post a Comment

0 Comments