Going Up to Cape Engaño Lighthouse

Siwangag Cove also called Cape Engano Cove
Before embarking on this trek, I asked myself: what is there really?, why do I have to trek up that hill just to see the ruins of the Cape Engaño Light House? And it is already nice to see from down here on the water anyway! But I still went for it just the same, for lack of anything else to do or anywhere else to see while on this boat tour. Uso eh!

It was not a very comfortable "climb", but yeah, good views up there! Although I felt I was wilting every second, on the way up, while there, and on the way down! A very hot day!

Let's describe the way up there:
#01 Boats dock at some distance from the designated entrance - which is somewhere under the trees behind that white tent. I asked my boatmen why not dock over at that part of the beach nearer that tent. They said this is their designated docking area and they may not do so anywhere else.

#02 You pay for the entrance fee. This is also where you get a guide - not required, but my personal view is it's better to have one. You will learn their stories and histories as you wonder about the views (and huff thru the climb hehe). Guiding is a livelihood of local residents organized by the local authorities. Manong Isabelo Gagote, Jr. is very good!

#03 And then... the trek. With all the rests and pictorials along the way, it took me about 30 minutes to the light house. This walk up the hill actually starts wonderfully amidst trees and shrubs. Then it goes steeper with grass and a few shrubs in the surroundings. This is just a dirt path by the way. A trail as some folks call it.

illustration of the trek path to Cape Engano Lighthouse
This is the same photo as above, I just zoomed it a bit to show the path.
Somewhere halfway is the steepest that at times my knees were alternately touching my chin in every step of the way hehe. Ah the path is safe enough. They fenced the dangerous ridges with poles made of tree branches. Primitive but serves the purpose, I guess. You can hold on to them as you walk up or down, but you won't lean on them with your whole body... I trust hehe!

Yes it is safe, but tiring hahaha! C'mon, I hereby claim (ayan, napa-divulge na) that I'm turning gold in 10 months. So, it must be the age! Of a desk-bound sedentary office warrior, whose only known physical 'exercise' is making that far walk every weekend, from check-in to gate at NAIA3!

Some notable notes for you my dear readers:
The 'climb' started at midmorning. A little past 10AM. Would have been better if I did it earlier or even late in the afternoon (the sunset views would have been fantastic too). But then again... how about the waves?! Argh!

We said 'the later the day, the bigger the waves'. And I noted too, that the boat ride from Anguib to Palaui Island (yep, where the lighthouse is) was choppiest. So, its up to you how you want to plan your routes, depending on your appetite for the big waves hehe!

Oh well, maybe combining Anguib and the lighthouse in a day is not a good option after all. Especially that, if you are coming later this year or next or next, the road going to Anguib might already be 'wonderful'!

Okay okay... let me post some of the views from up there, in my next entry hehe...

==========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of my notes:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30
31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40
41   42   43   44  Forty four stories just 4U!
==========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.



Post a Comment

0 Comments