THE Return: From Sta. Ana to Tuguegarao

Done with Sta. Ana so I headed back to Tuguegarao. How? Ah. you remember the rickety ride I had coming to this place? Yeah, so I told myself, never again (choosy ba)!

Thus, I asked around - and discovered that those VHires (oops Cebuano term diay na), I mean those "UV Express Vans", queue up for departure at the market area. No specific time, they leave when full - only!

Plus, we the "choosy passengers" lining up have no choice on which van (the new and spanking clean or the rickety ones) would we eventually ride on. Haggard! Sabi nga ni Harry haha! They fill the vans with people lining up (just like in Manila). When you are next in line, and the rickety van is not yet full, no choice, you ride. Magdusa ka!

But, where there's a will... pusang ama, there will be a way hahaha!

My trike driver cum tour guide yesterday told me, you can actually forego your queue position until your 'disliked' van becomes full. How is that? You ask those behind you to go ahead, until the van becomes full. Then you get to be first passenger on the next van.

But IF that next van is also clanky or clunky - meaning kakarag-karag din? You go the same "pass" process again (hanggang maubusan ka na tuloy ng van hehehe) or go to the bus - that might also be rickety, who knows!

However, and by the way, the good big buses bound for Manila do not take passengers bound to nearby places like Tuguegarao. It is against local law they told me, so that UV Express folks still have business, but using rickety dirty smelly dilapidated perspiringly-hot old vans bought from that junkyard at their economic zone.

Hu haaay, Grand Tours, DupTours even VanVan's can you please come and operate in Cagayan Valley?! Or just introduce your business models please!

So okay, what was my final solution, anyway?!

Last night, I sought help from the ever jolly staff of Country Inn, to find for me someone (either a UV Express or private vehicle) willing to take me to Tuguegarao, alone. Pakyaw as they call it. The "strict criteria" (yes, me ganun) - it had to be a respectably comfortable van or car that runs "normal" and still has real air conditioning, not little noisy fans.

Of course I also added (na rin) that driver should be willing to make a few stops and/or little detours along the way (so I could go peep at interesting places). Haruu! It did not even take 30 minutes for them to find one! And they promptly informed me that said van will be in their premises at 8AM as I requested! Deal!

Pag dating ng araw..,
As in kinabukasan..,
As in kaninang umaga yan..,
Van arrived on time to pick me up! I took a look at it before check-out at the hotel. Just making sure hehe. Well, it was intact at least, had good aircon running, clean and smelling good (ambi pur car freshener, hatsing!), but it was obviously a refurbished old van too. Hah, no more time, I neede to depart, so, "good enough" I said.

I was wondering though, why is it that using brand new vehicles for commuter services does not seem to be part of the "vocabulary" in Cagayan Province? I do not really need the van to be brand new during my ride (that's preposterous I know), and, I am no car expert, but, I readily recognize if a van had been used as "commercial commuter" ever since it was new, or if it was bought from a junkyard at hinilamusan lang to become your commuter van.


Dear Senators and Congressmen, there ought to be laws on vehicle "age" and "condition" whether maganda pagka-"hilamos" or not. Aside from safety and convenience, comfort (that includes passengers' peace of mind) should also be given importance.

Anyway, off we went and... ok naman!

==========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of my notes:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30
31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40
41   42   43   44  Forty four stories just 4U!
==========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.



Post a Comment

0 Comments