Hinundayan Town Center

Hinundayan is a nearby town, just next, and to the south of Hinunangan. Hah, these names are twisting my tongue! And do they really have to be next to each other?! Hin...!

Anyway, we entered the town of Hinundayan amidst lush green rice fields like this...
I was not actually sure if this was still Hinunangan, or already Hinundayan. There are not so many big and clear signs in this area. What I was sure, and very much amazed of was, these were rice plantations in various stages of growth, therefore various colors too!

This was like entering Hinunangan once again - wide expanses of fields planted to rice.
picturesque rice fields at Hinundayan Southern Leyte
Oh, on this one, I was sure we were already in Hinundayan! How? Because we passed by two barangays named Bugho! One is Brgy. Bugho, of Hinunangan, while the other is Brgy Bugho. (a.k.a Green Valley) of Hinundayan. I am guessing, they added the "Green Valley" to differentiate their barrio from that of Hinunangan! This is not uncommon. It's just like my Brgy. Banilad in Mandaue City, which sits very much beside Brgy. Banilad, Cebu City!

Anyway, I knew I was in Poblacion Hinundayan via that kilometer marker to the left...
It says I am 1km away. You know how I got that, right? If not, go read this article or this!

Oh hey, even earlier on, I already also spotted some 2-level old wooden houses...
It looked to me like there are fewer in this town - though equally beautiful nonetheless!

I like the pace of life here... few vehicles, and folks are unhurriedly chill..!
Like those three daddies strolling (on the national highway hehe)! My driver pressed his horn and I said don't do that hehe. Ayan tuloy napalingon si Principal hehehe, but the one with the bike, wala lang... he knows no vehicle would run him over anyway, right?!

I said to myself, "that's an indication of how cool and laid back this town is". But I guess I said that too loudly for the driver to hear, because, he replied saying "anong laid back sir, office hours namamasyal sila?". As I laughed, I managed to retort with "mga retirees yan oi, at saka Sabado ngayon"! His reply: "'wag sila mag-strolling sa gitna ng highway"! :D

And then we passed by this place where the sign says "St. Vincent Medical Hospital"...
With widened chinky eyes, I exclaimed "hospital yan? bakit nasa gilid ng highway?" Time for my driver to be 'fair' and he said "walang basagan ng trip"! Teka, linya ko yun ah haha!

Nothing wrong nor fantastic with this bridge under repair, but I had to take this pic...
The name of the place... therefore name of the bridge... which I also saw as the address of the hospital... Barangay Lungsodaan! Yes really now, there's something like that haha!

So we thought there is only "DaanLungsod" eh?! Well, there is Lungsodaan! They both mean the same thing anyway, right?! Daan is Old, Lungsod is Town"! It means "old town"!

Alright, here I go again, on my penchant for the nostalgia-evoking old wooden houses...
That one on the right caught my attention and I was able to snap this pic because car was still running slow as we just emerged from the Lungsodaan bridge being repaired!

This house's upper level is just as high as the road - since the highway was made taller during repair (I learned that is how DPWH does it). Not sure if this old beauty of a house is still in use or if still being maintained. When we got near, I could see that the walls are termite infested. In fairness, this has its little azotea (terrace) over at the other side!

Even this green painted house also looks like it had very good beginnings...
Its terrace part, just above the stairs, is over at that wood-grilled area at the far end

Oh the town's church is behind those trees to the left of that motorbike (habal-habal)! But let's talk about the church and the municipal hall in separate stories. They're next!

Across the church is a row of 4 or 5 two-level houses including this one on the right...
Though I particularly liked the simple (and original?) appearance of that yellow and blue house on the left. When we passed in front of it, I read something that made my "kilay" twitch high up! Carved on the wall is: "San Jose Parish Co-operative Credit Union Bldg".

And I said "ano yan pautangan ng parish? pwede ba yun?" And my witty driver was quick to reply with "pautang lang? eh tumatanggap nga sila ng pera galing sa jueteng di ba?" - Hahaha oo nga naman! And we started imagining how cash flows after offertory hehehe!

Driver told me that on that same corner, turning right and about one block away is supposedly the house of Regine Velasquez's mother, and he asked if I was interested to take a peep. I said no - she does not anyway acknowledge or mention that she is from this place, that she grew up here. All references are "this is her mother's hometown".

There are other big old wooden houses that I wasn't able to take pictures of. Like that house on the right corner at the very end of this street before turning left to the market. There are also 2 or 3 beautiful houses facing the park. And those around the town hall.

Anyway, after a quick 'look over' of the municipal hall, we went southwards to Anahawan


My driver told me that this is a popular corner among Hinundayan locals...
Going straight and down there is the beach where you can walk leftwards to reach their wharf, which, is also doable by turning left on this very corner to reach the "pantalan"!

But we turned right, as this is the way south, and saw a nice beach resort just after this corner - in front of a police station and what seems to be a 'palengke in the making'!

Well, much as I wanted to pause here for a while, to breathe the fresh sea breeze, we didn't anymore have the luxury of time. So I promised myself... there will be a next time!

A little bit further forward, the views started to be like this...
picturesque sea view of Hinundayan Southern Leyte
And in fact, on that hedge, is another beach resort! Ayayay why do I have to leave?!

Anyway, this was a joy ride to town centers (the simbahan and munisipyo) only!
Cannot deviate :( Sige na nga! Haiszt! But Hinundayan, I shall return!

==========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of my notes:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30
31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40
==========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.



Post a Comment

0 Comments