Going Burauen from Julita

I have been to this town before, but only as far as Brgy. Arado, which is still some 4 kms or so to the town center. So, here I was, excited, on my 'mission' riding the 8km stretch from Julita to Burauen. It does not take long, especially if, like me, you cherish looking at beautiful rural landscapes. Just 8 kms but scenery enough that kept my brain a churning!

As said in an older story before Yolanda (I was roaming herearounds), this town's name is pronounced "boo-ruh-wen". Don't fuss with the spelling, you'll just get a big headache!

When we were approaching the town's central area (about 2kms?), I saw this...
Camp Kawayan, Burauen Leyte
I heard there is something unique about this resort, but, let me just tell about it if and when I am already able to actually visit. This is a popular inland resort near a river. Burauen btw is landlocked. Look, there's a red carpet! Probably a wedding celebration.

This one is part of EVSU (Eastern Visayas State University) Burauen Campus...
Eastern Visayas State University, EVSU, Burauen Campus
Let's hope they have recovered infrastructure-wise, aside from that fence on foreground!

This is their main gate. This is a big campus being formerly an agricultural college...
gate of Eastern Visayas State University, EVSU, Burauen Campus
Now, there is only one agriculture-related course in this campus - BS in Agriculture. But they have BS in Hospitality Management! Preparing kids to go elsewhere for jobs 'no?

The entrance to Burauen National Comprehensive High School... gate on the right...
Not the school, but the signage near this gate caught my attention. They're interesting!

One sign board points a directional arrow going to Mahagnao National Park...
Hmm, not in my bucket list, but if it's a "National Park", then there should be something worth at least a peep in that place, right? Okay, listed now! The other board shows the directions to Burauen proper and the towns of La Paz and Dagami via provincial roads.

Still on that picture above... there's something wrong with that kilometer marker...
Wrong information! It says 1 km to "O", or is that a "D"? Whatever, it is still wrong because this place is 1 km to Burauen town center. It should be a "B". Hoy! DPWH engineers, go take a refresher course, or even just read my stories on kilometer markers here and here!

Then I saw the way to La Paz, my next destination after Burauen...
But isn't there also something wrong here? The arrow points leftwards, but there is a green tricycle that is emerging from the left, near the "one-way" signage. Now now, "one-way" on that street going left or right? Ano ba talaga? Where is that "one way" going to?

My driver had another witty remark saying "extra income yan, sir"! I asked how so. He says traffic police made those signs confusing, such that, when you go the wrong way, they'll apprehend you. And, drivers usually give cash ("lagay") to avoid being ticketed.

Hmm, bad but believable. Kumikitang kabuhayan! Pastilan in nga katawhan!

Curious, I asked my driver what would be his solution to such a confusion. Another witty reply... He'll skirt around other streets that also lead into that road to La Paz. Magaling!

As we discussed that, we reached this next intersection and he said "tulad dito"...
I said "oo nga naman", but actually, my attention departed from the signage and jumped into that old green house on the left. Wow! So big and tall at just two levels. Obviously renovated, but we can still immediately recognize that it is an era house, di ba? Grand!

Finally, I reached the center of Burauen! Straight ahead is the municipal hall and its park, while to the left is the church that also has its own park - that one behind the tree!
town proper Burauen Leyte
Did you notice that signage on the right? Yeah, partially covered by a corrugated sheet fencing, but there are arrows pointing to the right. That road will lead you to Dagami, Tacloban and other towns nearby, even as far as Jaro, with nice paved provincial roads!

Let's talk more about Burauen in my next story.

==========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of my notes:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30
31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40
==========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.



Post a Comment

0 Comments