Tomas Oppus Quick Visit

My apologies to you my dear readers, I have nothing much to say about my very short pass at this town. Because it was raining cats and dogs, I couldn't even open the car windows - much less get off and roam. In any case, here are a few to make my story...

Driver slowed down and about to park in front of this church...
road view of St. James the Apostle Parish Church of Tomas Oppus, Southern Leyte
And I said "'wag dyan, let's go to the town's main church". And driver had that bewildered look in his face, initially unable to say anything. And he finally said "eh sir, this is it, I'm not joking". And, OMG... it was my turn to be bewildered, jaw-dropped, wide-eyed...

And I said "I can't go down, malakas ang ulan"!

Of course I don't know until now, as to what happened to this edifice.
front view of St. James the Apostle Parish Church of Tomas Oppus, Southern Leyte
Was this the original site and being spruced up? What happened to the old church? And many many questions more, that I could have found answers to, if I went in perchance to encounter a few souls who could tell me. But the rain prevailed. Okay, I'll be back, soon.

I noted, there are playing courts (yes plural) immediately before this church. A tennis court and volleyball or sepak-takraw court? Something like that. So, center of town nga.

A bit forward, after that black vehicle is a statue of some gladiator with a sword riding a horse. As we passed by it, my face on the windshield looking at it intently, I absently said to myself "si James, kapatid ni John, mga anak ni Zebedee, mga barkada ni Jesus Is Lord"!

The driver's eyes grew wildly wide hahaha, and he exclaimed "akala ko ba sir, bihira ka na magsimba"! As we laughed I said "di naman sa misa binabanggit yan, ang binabanggit ng pari puro politics, gusto yata nila maging mayor senador na parang si Padre Damaso"!

Anyway, I had reason to believe my driver, that this was really their parish church. And I even finished that with "I will guess, this is the "St. James the Apostle Parish Church"!

Oh across that is the big wide Tomas Oppus Central School that we had to skirt around to the right as the municipal hall is somewhere about 300 meters into the rice fields!

Reaching the municipal hall compound, we just cruised around the driveway
view on approach to the municipal building of Tomas Oppus, Southern Leyte
This goes counter clockwise like an inverted U, so we just followed it. Look at the lower left corner of this picture, that's rain water the car wiper has just wiped to the side!

This is the main entrance, and I couldn't make clear who that statue is...
facade and main entrance to the municipal building of Tomas Oppus, Southern Leyte
I would guess that is Tomas Oppus himself. He was a Philippine senator (I think). I wanted to go down and look at the descriptions, but it was raining hard. I might mutate into so many likenesses of me (like the gremlins) if I dared walk under the rain.

Their multi-purpose building...
one side of the multi-purpose building viewed from the municipal hall of Tomas Oppus, Southern Leyte
Everything here is relatively new as this is a new location of their government services.

And here we were exiting the municipal hall driveway, huhuhu...
exiting the garden and compound of the municipal building of Tomas Oppus, Southern Leyte
So, we were out of this place and eventually the town, in probably less than 10 minutes.

Let's move on to Malitbog instead. In my next story!

==========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of my notes:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30
31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40
==========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.



Post a Comment

0 Comments