Not So Good In Sogod? It's Good!

So good? Uhm, well, not so good! Part of my stay was so good in Sogod, but I have not seen many things, so part of the visit was not so good. So, good? Well, good. Okay ra gud!

I arrived at this town from the south (Saint Bernard) unfortunately under uncooperative skies of intermittent rains, thunderstorms, with few snippets of the sun about to set. So, bitin! The following day (kanina yan), I over-enjoyed lazing by the seashore, and forgot roaming the town center. Then I had to rush so I can follow my itinerary. So, not so good!

The sky muddled my 'yesterday'. Oh ha, at least I have the weather to blame hehehe!

Anyway..,
vast rice fields o both sides of the road approaching Sogod Southern Leyte
Approaching town center, we passed by vast areas planted to rice. I knew these must have been beautiful sights. But heavy clouds and heavier downpours seemed to be just following us from Liloan! Like this picture, I made this 95% brighter via a photo editing app, because it was just unacceptably too dark. I made that brighter na, take note hehe!

At least this humungous truck full of bananas made my brain go bananas!
a big truckload of bananas
I wondered where they came from and where they were destined for. Kadami namang saging nyan! My driver said it must have come from Mindanao, crossed from Lipata in Surigao to either San Ricardo or Liloan, and probably destined for Ormoc and Tacloban.

Or, probably dropping portions of the lot at markets along the way, until it reaches a big buyer destination. Fascinating how farm produce are transported in our islands 'no?!

I hope to find time for a closer look at transport of perishable goods. Curious lang!

Which reminded me... in the early '90s at Davao Airport, I saw bananas and other fruits being shipped out. Shippers always had more boxes of each fruit than were intended for shipping. Folks there told me, the excess boxes were to replace spoilage. The fun part was when there was no spoilage. Suppliers would usually give some to people around!

I remember even the "spoilage" that get replaced were actually still high quality - though considered too ripe (since they will still travel - to Japan usually). They would usually give some of those to anyone who asked - including me! This was at the old Davao Bangoy International Airport (now across the runway) - hahaha, ang edad, migawas!

In the middle of my nostalgia, the driver said: "I mean pagkaing-baboy yan sir, ha"! OMG!

Anyway, I caught a snap as we approached this 'smoking' intersection.
intersection entering Sogod via Brgy Imaculada Concepcion
We turned left, and I said "haay Sogod here I come, bisag ngitngit ang kalangitan"! Yes, I also already brightened this picture excessively! Camera lenses are just not like human eyes yet. We can still see in the real world, but if you take a picture its already very dark.

Oh okay, so this is "Barangay Concepcion 1" says the writings on that monument.
cute carabao monument at the intersection entering Sogod via Brgy Imaculada Concepcion
Monument? Yes... of an ultra-tiny Carabao hahaha! Baka bonzai variety yan! Can you see it?! I even thought it was some kind of lizard or bayawak! But yes, it is a kalabaw! You still can't see it? Focus on the top of the white pedestal, above the "OME in "WELCOME"!

At least, they're welcoming us into Sogod!

Oist hey, did you know, that this road where we turned left at, is only a barangay road? Yes, barangay road of Brgy Immaculada Concepcion! Yet, all vehicles bound for Sogod or Maasin coming from the southeast pass here, instead of driving farther on to the "real" national road intersection which is still far from here, and almost up in the mountains.

Let's say our thanks to the highway authorities for making this barangay road big and available to common vehicles, plus making that big and long Subangdaku Bridge! Aba, that is about 7 kilometers of road, shortened into just about one and a half! A shortcut!

So, in no time, I was inside big town Sogod! Why do I say "big town"? Because this is the biggest town I have seen since Silago (though I expected this). I was telling my driver I could even live here as it is complete with anything and everything I see in Tacloban, Ormoc or Maasin. Examples? Well, they have Mayong's and Panny's (alam nyo ba yan?).

No pictures under sporadic showers and gloomy skies, but, since I entered town until we stopped at Syshore hotel, I think I have seen at least 6 or 7 gas stations! And all those were just along the main road we passed by! I was amused too that there is Calutan Marketing and Gleen Marketing! You know that? Plus, I saw signs of Metrobank, UCPB and PNB. Hmm, I think there is even a roofdeck restaurant at that building where PNB is!

Anyway, I also saw the municipal hall, but I did not go there as it was still raining and already getting dark. That said, I haven't seen many things in this town other than those along my way. So, not so good in Sogod. Therefore, I'll be back to see more! Promise!
==========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of my notes:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30
31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40
==========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.



Post a Comment

0 Comments