Lunch at Sol Y Mar

Noontime. I was not that hungry yet. So was my driver cum tour guide - sabi nya! I could not tell if he was telling the truth and nothing but the truth so help him God hahaha!

I did know it was the 'biscocho' and the 'tsokolate' at the Avanceña house that made my stomach feeling still full at 12:45NN while roaming the Oton Plaza. But somehow, I felt guilty not yet feeding my royal self, and the driver. A hungry pilot is trouble, OMG!

I looked around and did not seem to get attracted into any of the eateries in Oton town proper - how can they, eh hindi nga ako gutom! But I had a nice idea. I asked the guide to bring us (him and me) to a beautiful quiet airy beach resort with nice views of the sea and good food - so we can while away the noontime heat, and, perchance catch hunger at such a place. Da! Ang daming criteria 'no?! But he smilingly obliged!

Driver-guide asked if I heard about "solemar". I said no. He said its a good resort and might fit my descriptions. So I said let's go! And we went zooming off the good road southwards from Oton Plaza. It took only 15 minutes (about 10 kilometres) and we were already at the resort. Fit! Everything I asked for was in or is the resort.

I discovered, Mr. Guide meant "Sol Y Mar" not "solemar" that I heard him saying. He pronounced it as "so-le-mar". Well, another example of the stark difference between the printed versus the pronounced word hehe. Just like how Tagalogs pronounce the name of that bakery product called "San Nicholas", they pronounce it like "sunny kolas"!

Some of you may disagree, but for me, resorts like this - "trying hard" to look native - are always the best. I am just not for your concrete building resorts in Boracay or Bohol...
front desk of Sol Y Mar resort
This one attempts to be "native" in many aspects, so it feels you really are on a holiday. Note I said "trying hard" above. Yes this resort is, and so are many other resorts in the world, because it is actually very hard to try and look "native" or "natural" when the modern conveniences of today are also necessary. But no harm in trying, right?!

That reception building is a good example. Native materials, covered by the shade of big trees, nice rustic colors. Tapos ayun yung white aircon box sa taas naka-usli. All those big windows upstairs are even made of glass! But no harm trying. Di ba?!

Oh, I left the choosing to my driver-guide. I just said I like fish, and pork if they have.
Then I went off looking around. They have this "whatever this is" hehe. But it is nice going up there looking out unto the sea or the length of the beach. It feels like you are a... well... life guard hehe! Its breezy up there. Sarap tumambay!

Here is one view from up there... the vastness of Panay Gulf under the sun...
beach view at Sol Y Mar resort
How much more if this was later in the afternoon, or tomorrow at dawn or very early morning? Should be fantastic, right? Oh, moonrise? Wow, I could just imagine...

Ah these two darlings acted as if they have known me years before..!
They followed me around. This pup (brown), even tried his hand (oops, paws I mean) on the ladder of that view deck thing. Laughing hard, I said "sige halika, akyat! ambisyoso!"

The picnic huts for day trippers...
Crew (or was she the owner?) said we could eat at any of those since they didn't expect that many people today, and we were just here for lunch. But I was happier at the restaurant with many empty tables. Why? It was cooler hehe! The sand can get too hot!

One of their cottages, I think they call this a twin room...
native cottage at Sol Y Mar resort
Given the chance, I think I could live in that for weeks. Just that outside sitting lounging area (what is that called? a veranda?) would already be a paradise enough for me!

Many of the cottages have well tended greens all around...
Wouldn't it be nice to wake up in the morning with these surroundings? Ah, the life!

Then the food arrived... ah, I had nothing to say...
grilled liempo at Sol Y Mar resort
Because I chowed down as if I did not eat for 5 days hahaha! Simple home-style cooking - not burned but not under-cooked either. I know, whoever cooked these, whoever are them in charge of the kitchen, must be masters of their craft! Na simple but masarap!
grilled fish at Sol Y Mar resort
No frills. I am not even a fan of that "achara" thing. But good that it was not dripping, so the meat and the fish did not acquire much of its sourness! Teka, where's the pancit?

I swear there was pansit, but the camera forgot to snap a shot! Not hungry pala ha?!

Okay, I do not have to be honest here and tell you that the fish and the baboy did a "repeat performance" and that 5 cups of rice were finished by just two mouths! Korek?!

After that hefty meal, I laid down right on the bench that I sat on! I think I even snored! Until I heard... "sir 2:15 PM na, we still have a long way to go"! Ayayay! Next story!

==========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of my notes:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30
31   32   33   34   35   36  Thirty six stories
==========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.



Post a Comment

0 Comments