Oton Church

In just about 8 minutes from the Avanceña House, we arrived at the Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception in the town of Oton, Iloilo. But even before that arrival, I already asked my tour guide "what is there to see" in Oton. He was quick to tell me "wala masyado". So I said let us see the church and the munisipyo nalang.
front view of Oton Church
I actually did a little bit of research last night, and I learned that this church in Oton was one of the oldest, although crumbled to dust during a very strong earthquake called "Lady *something*". So it was here that Catholicism started to flourish on Panay Island.

inside view of Oton Church Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception
This is it, the church as it is now, circa the 1970s rehabilitation, since this was frequently spruced up before and after that time. It looks appealingly different to me though I am not sure why. Maybe because of the "more angular" structure? Or the airiness?

This thick wall before the grotto commanded my attention...
old church ruins, grotto and tree with exposed roots at Oton Church
Not that I thought it to be anything religious. I was just amazed that the roots of that tree (or is it trees?) have beautifully wrapped it into some kind of an art piece. Only to learn from my guide that this is the remaining part of the original church wall. Whoa! Parang Angkor Wat!

==========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of my notes:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30
31   32   33   34   35   36  Thirty six stories
==========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.



Post a Comment

0 Comments