San Joaquin Church, Iloilo

frontal perspective view of San Joaquin Church Iloilo
This church was declared "pambansang palantandaang makasaysayan" by the national government in 1977. I think that means national historical reminder? or treasure? I got that from a very old bronze marker circa 1979 on the outside wall.

This edifice was already closed for the day. But a side door was not locked! I slowly pushed it open, and my tour guide followed! This time ako ang naging guide - to break into a closed facility! Isa na akong kriminal with a licensed tour guide as accomplice!

Well, desperate situations require desperate moves. I was already on the last stop of my southern Iloilo tour and the sun was dusking on me. Sayang oras ko, if I cannot see this beautiful church just because it was already 430PM! So, I had to "break-in" of sorts hehe!

I went to the closed main door and took this pic... visible pa rin...
inside view of San Joaquin Church Iloilo
Actually I tinkered with this photo to make it at least brighter :) I like the bare walls. Immaculate clean, very much similar to that one in Guimbal I have visited earlier.

Here was my attempt to snap a photo of the altar... futile!
I took this that someone was telling me "enough is enough"! So I went out.

Back at the front of this church, my guide directed my attention at that pediment.
art on ancient pediment façade of San Joaquin Church Iloilo
Oh ha?! Me pediment pediment na akong nalalaman! Its now part of my vocabulary!

Anyway, guide told me that the intricate elaborate artwork up there makes this church one of a kind, as it depicts a war scene - the Spanish military victory in the "Battle of Tetuan" - which did not happen in the Philippines, but in Morocco! That battle was won in 1860, just about the time they were erecting this church which was finished in 1869.

Next stop, my guide led me to the ruins of the original church convent
This thing in the photo is only the most prominent piece of the ruins (and it looks like its being used by modern day humanity anyway, right?) but at nearby areas (side and back) we could still see some remnants of like fallen walls or posts and so on amidst grass and shrubs. Let's wish the town will take better care for these historical remains.

Not part of the church complex, but, just a few steps away, I peeped into this...
A full sports complex with a track oval (wala lang yata swimming pool), and near the sea. Nice jogging area! At the other end of this sports area is an elementary school, and to the left, across the church is their municipal hall. Let's go there in my next story!

==========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of my notes:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30
31   32   33   34   35   36  Thirty six stories
==========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.



Post a Comment

0 Comments