Cebu To Clark, Going Boracay


It's about time I visit a beach for it has been a while - I mean go to a beach for some R&R and not just to visit or pass-by because it was along the way of something else I was doing like this, this and this. I think the last time I stayed at a beach was in Glan. Aw, that was 5 months ago. So, let's go to: Boracay!

My way there, was a little complicated though, but I liked it, for the experience. Nope, I did not do this flight route just for the fun of it. It came out a bit cheaper than flying 'direct' from Cebu to Caticlan. As is the usual case, if you book late for a busy flight route, prices become too expensive. So, be creative!
Philippine map showing my flight route: Tacloban to Cebu to Clark and to Caticlan
Look at the red arrows, those were my flights, instead of the yellow one. All because I booked flights 2 days before departure! 'Cebu-Caticlan' fares were already pricier than 'Cebu-Clark plus Clark-Caticlan'.

That happens, and I think we already discussed that in an article here, right? That airline fares are the most volatile in the transport industry. Their pricing mechanics are based on so many variable things!

Anyway, andyan na yan, mahirap namang puro reklamo na lang tayo. Enjoy naman pag me time!

And why did I, all of a sudden feel like going to Boracay, alone? Ah, ganito yan... a friend told me on fb msgr, he was going to the island (work-related) and felt pathetic being there alone. I said: "sama ako"!

That was it, I asked for his expected arrival in Caticlan (from Manila), I searched for flights (from Clark) that would arrive Caticlan at about that time, then worked back as to when I should fly Cebu to Clark!

Done! Most convenient for me was PAL's PR836 Cebu-Clark, connecting to PR2376 Clark-Caticlan. If you can't believe that was cheaper than a direct Cebu-Caticlan flight, try booking 2 days before you leave!

I do investigate 'probable reasons' why this and that flight might be cheaper. In the above route, PAL's Cebu to Clark early morning flights were "new", and that, not so many passengers were eager of it yet!

Well, it takes longer, but I enjoyed the views along the way and the wallet was happy!

Ano naman ang kinalaman nung Tacloban to Cebu flight? Ah eh... pre-booked na yan weeks before pa, scheduled uwi ko para magwalis at maglaba sa aking mumunting "payag"! Naging transit sa Cebu ulit!
Mactan Cebu International Airport, Domestic Departures Gate 7
That is as I waited to be boarded at Mactan's Gate 7. There were not many passengers going to Clark.

Exercise time! We entered at Gate 7, but our plane was parked at the end (T1 old international wing)!
But you won't get lost, ayan si Sir Gilbert o, he's one of the PAL supervisors guiding us on where to go!

Okay boarded... and look at that... there were only a few of us passengers on this flight!
I'm not sure what I read sometime ago, that this flight I was taking, was either an additional schedule, or a bigger aircraft. Ah, I remember something, yet I can't recall what it is! O ha? Meron ba kayo nyan?!

Old age yan! Anyway, it is worth mentioning now that this plane is just another Airbus A320 that other airlines also have a lot of. But why are PAL's interiors nicey bright and feel more spacious? Maaliwalas!

Maybe it is the calming color design, or having no advertisements everywhere, or those video screens that the others don't have? Or all of the above? Oh speaking of those screens, I got a video clip again!
[ I'll post that video here soon - at wala nang pasaway na screen! ]

Anyway again, this was my view on pushback. That AirAsia plane is at the farthest gate of Terminal 2.
We departed from the farthest gate of T1. Why the two buldings are not officially connected for transit passenger convenience is still a question, as Cebu is a hub for domestic <> international connections.

Anyway again too, we took off to a bright November sky (sana forever yan). And my SkyTreats came!
That one is named Pineapple Lattice (80 grams), Freshly Baked for PAL by Max's Corner Bakery. O ha?!
I know I also have made mention about this in previous stories, but there is no harm in repeating this topic (I guess): look at my SkyTreats, there two sets! Yep, I asked for the 'extra' and it was given to me!

Why is that? Well, there are a lot of reasons, but foremost is... Charm works! Meron ka nyan? Don't you worry, I'll post a separate article about how you can 'wing' such friendliness and receive extras. Soon!

About an hour into the flight, I looked out of my window and took this picture of the lovely skies!
I can't recall exactly why I wanted to capture that particular view. It would have probably been., either because we were above Metro Manila (or there arounds), or because of those lovely cloud formations.

I noticed this dude who was (I think) supposed to be seated 36F (on that window), transferred to 36C.
And I know the answer why: he didn't like the brightness at that side where sun was stronger because it was just 8:34AM and we were flying northward. Even if he shuts his sunshade, others are wide open.

Masilaw nga naman if you want to take a "power nap". Those other windows with open shades had no people in them. Alangan naman isaisahin nya isara ang mga yon, ano?! That's why he "jumped" to 36C.

Did you know, that particular case above is why one of my considerations when choosing a seat is the sun? Yeah, where the sun will be and at what angle to my window seat during the flight. Mainly due to the following reasons: 1] so it won't be too warm; and  2] so there won't be a glare when I take photos!

I just learned of that necessity, through many years of traveling. It's always worth considering the sun - it's location (orientation), in relation to a window - whether I'm traveling by air, rail, bus, car or boat.

That is because I never use high-tech but complicated professional cameras (that can compensate for the sun's glare). I only use my phone, at times a point-and-shoot camera. So, I avoid a direct sunlight.

Thus, having a low-tech gadget requires that we consider the sun's position during trips. Complicated ano? Yes, pero kesa naman magbibibili ka ng photography equipment na lens pa lang handcarry limit na! That boils down to knowing what you are - a photographer traveling? or a traveler taking photos?!

So, since I'm a traveler (who take photos, na gusto ko rin naman maging tanggapable), I watch out for the sun's position! That is why I chose Seat 36A on this flight from CEB to CRK, kasi sa kanan ang araw.

O ha?!

BUT... (sabay meron nanamang BUT), it is not all the time that you must avoid the sun when shooting photos while traveling. Da! Ang complicated! Kunwari MNL-TAC 4AM flight, left tayo to face the sunrise because there will be no glare as the sun inches up, with Mayon volcano in the horizon, ah ang ganda!

Eto pa: CEB-PPS (Cebu to Puerto Princesa) 4PM flight, kanan tayo, to catch mismo the araw sa western horizon, your pictures will be full of yellows, oranges, reds, sometimes purples, also greens. Amazing!

So, the exception is: don't avoid the sun when it's down at the horizon (sunrise or sunset). There's no glare! If ever there is, it will have a very soft register on your picture, that actually becomes a subject. Unlike if you let your phone camera face the sun from 7AM to 4PM, hiyay, puro white blur ang pics mo!

Okay, let's go back to my flight from Cebu to Clark (and Caticlan is still very far)! Approaching Clark!
Still far actually, as this was like 15mins before landing. I wasn't sure where we were in Central Luzon!

Little by little I started to get hold of my (the plane's) bearings. I think this is now Dinalupihan area.
Or between Bataan and Pampanga, since we entered land from Manila Bay to the Bataan Peninsula.

And look! There is no mistaking, this is the Floridablanca Airfield inside Basa Airbase in Pampanga!
Do you even know of that airfield or airbase? That is "Fightertown Philippines"! Where our fighter jets are kept. Or do you know about Lt. Cesar Basa? Ay, his 'tragic end' was like from a drama movie scene!

Okay, landing approach - in the direction of Clark International Airport's Runway 02.
I was on left-side-window of the plane, so that must be Porac. The right side should be San Fernando.


A view of the airport as we taxied our way from the runway. It's still very much a work in progress.

Blocks-on, we disembarked and boarded the bus - yeah, all of us few passeners in just one bus!

Soon this will also change (again). They're making this airport bigger on a piece-meal basis. Oks lang!

Hey I didn't notice I had an audience - that little one! Didn't I say I must be charming to some souls?

Look at the sign on this wall, it made me recall.., once upon a time, I scolded some idiotic youngsters!
Why? Aba eh I caught them not stepping on a similar mat, claiming it could get their talampakan wet, and that they were wearing Havaianas anyway. I called the authorities' attention. Iyak ang mga buang!

Baggage claim. It's getting to be more like a real world-class airport now. Sige lang, kulang pa!

Oist, sabihin nyo na baduy, but I like airports with these photo corners or booths. Tourist-friendly!
I know the feeling... if you're from the place or you're frequently there, those photo-ops corners seem to be a nuisance or eyesore. But for a first-time visitor, it can be everything about their memory of the place! Aminin mo, ganyan ka rin pag first-time mo to a place. Kaya dapat lahat ng lugar meron ganyan!

Sige tongressman, isabatas na yan, at budgetan ng malaking-malaki! At syempre you have the power, ilagay na rin sa background kasama ng mga logo, ang mukha mo, pati ang sa asawa at mga anak nyo!

Hahaha! FYI pala, probably because it is still a work-in-progress (ibig sabihin hindi matapos-tapos ng totohanan) their arrival area has no big lobby like other airports. After claiming your bags you go out.

So out into the open I went like all other arriving passengers, since there is no transfer desk here.

But before I check-in for my flight to Caticlan, ah I took chance to roam the front of the building first.

Hmm... discovery! just meters front of the arrival area are the buses going to Manila, Subic or Baguio!
I went near them and asked around of course. Aha, now I know where they wait for passengers. Thus, I already know where to go if I want to go home to QC via this route! Aha! Just a few steps from arrival.

Look, this is how near it is from arrival area. And where I stood (near the trashcans) pwede magyosi!
Huwag lang umulan! Looking at how narrow that roofed walkway is, aru, ambon lang, basa tayo dyan!

I walked to where the public wait for their arriving passengers. Pathetic still, like our many airports!
But the consolation is, this airport is purportedly still a work in progress. So, we should wait and see!

Look, there are even at least two (or three?) fastfood chain branches in this public waiting area...
Ipagdasal lang natin (yun lang kasi ang puwede nating gawin) na huwag umulan habang nandito tayo! Look at the trolley carts (w/ luggage) outside the restaurant. Araw, ulan at kawatan ang kalaban nyan!

Pag-bigyan pa rin natin, eh work-in-progress nga daw ang airport na ito. Kelan matatapos? Ma!

Let's go in and depart for Caticlan. Next!

Post a Comment

0 Comments