Out Of Caticlan


My way out of Boracay continues...

As earlier said, we arrived at Caticlan Airport (MPH) too early, thanks to the very fast and efficient (yet courteous and jolly) services of Astoria Current Staff. Early but happy - with time for more photo-ops!
caticlan airport departure curbside #caticlanairport #caticlan
Look, there were not many people at the airport yet! Our speedboat ride was just very fast (but safe).

That manner of transfer btw (via "private" speedboats) would be most ideal for those of you with lots of luggage (they assist you on those), the elderly, and little tykes. Well yes, for the barkada too, to still have fun even as you get out of the island! So far, the best ever exit I've had, from Boracay to Caticlan.

The catch: you will have to book your accommodations with hotels/resorts that have "private" boats!

Anyway, let's depart from Caticlan (I was on my way to Cebu, with a connecting flight to Tacloban).
I didn't reverse my circuitous way coming to this place, because I found that the MPH to CEB fare was acceptable to my wallet! MPH btw is the 3-letter airline code for Caticlan Godofredo P. Ramos Airport.

Why MPH, which doesn't easily relate to the name Caticlan? Hmm, maybe IATA ran out of 3-letter code abbreviations! I think the M stands for Malay (the town) and PH stands for Philippines. In ICAO: RPVE.

Oh, since we arrived early, I had the chance to roam around, so let's talk about this airport a bit more!
caticlan airport check-in are #caticlanairport #caticlan
Look, at about 9:30AM, only those two were ahead of us at check-in, because nga maaga kami. But the PAL check-in counters were already open even for our flights leaving 1200H to MNL and 1210H to CEB.

As anywhere with PAL, you can choose the counter you want whatever your flight is. I think they call it "common check-in". I think they were first to do that. Well, they were our only airline years ago, right?!

This other counter was available for check-in too, but no one dared go there, not even me hehehe!
caticlan airport PAL check-in counters #caticlanairport #caticlan
I knew what they were doing - marites hehehe! That is what they call a "pre-flight briefing" - where all staff involved in the check-in operations have a quick meeting, before they formally open their desks.

What sort of things do they talk about? Oh many many things. And seriously, that sometimes includes 'marites'. They have to know some of those, for safety comfort & convenience of passengers and crew.

Really now? Yes, really, I've witnessed some of them! Being your Pinoy Traveler, I've had the chance to listen-in to those 'briefings' at PAL. Example? Tsismis is: Artista A and Artista B were rumoured to have been scuba diving all day yesterday until the night. That simple a tsismis, but check-in agents will ask and ascertain if indeed they did. Kung truth yan, they may need a doctor's certificate to fly. Dangerous yan - especially with very deep dives and high altitude air travels. Decompression Sickness (DCS) kills!

Things like those. At marami pang titillating things hehe! But let's talk about them in a separate story!

Normally, they'd conduct briefings in their offices (not at those checkin counters). But when everyone is already busy, and there aren't many serious matters to discuss, they do it there, like in that picture.

Let's proceed with my roam while waiting for my flight. Story-tellers know it's always good to be early!

I saw this and I asked my self "ano ito"? No one was around, so I answered my royal highness, maybe immigration desks for/when they have international flights. Or for similar things, something like that!
caticlan airport departure hall #caticlanairport #caticlan

We were going to Gate 2, the assigned gate for both our flights, scheduled to leave 10 minutes apart.
caticlan airport departure hall #caticlanairport #caticlan

I noted those stairs, but yes, friend and I proceeded to Gate 2, which, we expected would be empty!
caticlan airport Gate 2 #caticlanairport #caticlan

At least there are charging ports. But what would you expect at 9:47AM when your flight is at 12NN?
caticlan airport Gate 2 #caticlanairport #caticlan
Ayan... katahimikan... hehehe! Friend said he'll stay around and charge some gadgets. I said I'll go out!

Let's be honest, I went out to search for a nook where I may be allowed to smoke (kung saan pa mang lupalop yan dahil walang smoking area ang airport na ito). But, I also took this opportunity to look at various areas for memory's sake. There's no telling, it could have been my last sighting of this airport.

Or did you know that? Yep, this whole airport complex is being spruced up (for the better, I suppose)!

I'll tell you what I know as we go along with my story. But first, look, I was outside the departure area!
caticlan airport departure terminal #caticlanairport #caticlan
I looked to my left and took that shot. That is where the van dropped us off for the check-in counters.

I then looked to my right and took this photo. That is going to the exit from this airport compound.
caticlan airport departure terminal #caticlanairport #caticlan
It's a one-way road turning left at that store. If you keep on that road, you end up at the Caticlan Jetty Port! It's not far. Probably some 200 meters. In the past, tricycles used to ply this route during arrivals.

Not anymore, because today, this whole complex is just the departure area. Really? Yes really!

And this is the good old PAL ticket (and other) offices. I found a smoking nook somewhere here (shh)!
PAL ticket office at caticlan airport #caticlanairport #caticlan
I did wonder as to 'until when' will they maintain those offices. Surely when the 'new airport terminal' is up (now the arrival area - only), this place will become inconvenient for many passengers and staff.

And from the PAL ticket office, this was my view of most of Caticlan Airport's (departure area) façade.
caticlan airport departure terminal #caticlanairport #caticlan
So it was nice that I went out. Those photos above may have been my last glimpse of the front of this 'old' airport. For the memories! Who kows, when I come back, this place may already be 'non-existent'.

Just where's this "arrival area" and "new terminal" na nagno-nostalgia at nagdada-drama na ako?!

It is over at the other end, and other side of the runway, near a white sandy beach. Here's a map:
aerial view map of caticlan airport #caticlanairport #caticlan
Let's describe the markings from left to right. That Green Arrow points to Boracay Island. The Red Dot is Caticlan Jetty Port Area. Yellow Circle is the old Caticlan Airport I've been describing above. It's now solely used for passenger departure operations (like check-in and boarding buses). Take note of that!

The big Red Circle contains the 'new' airport complex, and the small Blue Circle is the Arrival Area. All commercial planes park in that area only. So during departures, passengers are loaded on a bus and the bus traverses technically the whole length of the runway, to deliver us to our planes. Kagamu 'no?

Mind you, if you are transfering from arrival area to departure area, that would be about 3kms via the national road (colored gold in the map) and there's no other way! Airline/airport staff use the runway.

O ano, laban ka? Saan ka nakakita ng airport, na ang arrival area nya eh nasa ibang kabihasnan, kesa sa departure area? Pero wag muna magsalubong ang dalawang kilay mo, temporary yan. Ginagawa pa!

That rectangular area under the blue circle above, that will become the new Caticlan Airport Terminal.

Let's go inside the pre-departure area again. As I said, I took note of the stairs, so I went up to see!
caticlan airport departure hall #caticlanairport #caticlan
I was just curious and needed to see. Because the last time I was here, there was no second floor yet. And not for long, this very same place will be abandoned in favor of the new building. Let me explore!

This is it! What immediately came to mind were the Tagbilaran and Ormoc fastcraft terminals hehehe!
caticlan airport 2nd floor departure hall #caticlanairport #caticlan
There are no aerobridges here. Just a 2nd floor view of the outside - reason why I remembered those seaports. Meaning passengers must go down the stairs when boarding time is called to hop on a bus!

But nice enough and tidy clean, obvious that it is not being maintained by government people.

Is it not? Yes, it's not. This is one of a few airports (if not the only, so far), that's operated by a private corporation, majority owned by San Miguel Corporation under a BOT (build-operate-transfer) scheme. I often hear people in the know mention Ramon Ang (PAL ex-president) as the big boss of this airport.

He's boss at SMC, right? Yes he is. In/About this airport, I often hear "RSA" mentioned. That's him!

No wonder, items sold at the stores in this airport are refreshingly different. They smell SMC hehe!
stores at caticlan airport 2nd floor departure hall #caticlanairport #caticlan
Look at the side of that 'stall' (at left), there is a TouchPay Machine. Wala lang, just saying hehehe!

In front of all the seats is supposed to be a glass wall, but it is ugly due to some removed sticker?
It does not give anyone a good view. But there's nothing to view anyway, than just buses, since planes do not park in this area anymore. As I said above, they arrive and wait at the other end of the runway!

Hey there are a scattering of murals on the walls, done by local artists. This one looks interesting...
I think it is a depiction of the Sto. Niño being worshipped by our native forebears? Oh yes, ati-atihan!

Back downstairs..,
The number of passengers increased, until my friend's flight was boarded, and then mine! Yey!
caticlan airport departure Gate 2 #caticlanairport #caticlan
caticlan airport departure gate 2 #caticlanairport #caticlan
Hey, look at how those PAL girls wear their smiles. I must dare say, they're genuine and beautiful. And, that was a 'candid shot' as I was hidden (a little bit) behind another tall passenger. Yan ang "sana all"!

The rumor is true then, yes the marites! That PAL personnel (including pilots, accountants, mechanics, even reservations agents who are just on the phone, etc.) are trained equally on "knowledge & skills" for their respective roles, AND, "smiling, to whom it may concern"! Smiling to the world! Kaya nyo yan?

Try it now while reading... smile not to anyone but 'to whom it may concern'. Hahaha makabuang oi!

Anyway, so we got on the bus... and there had to be some bit of waiting for all passengers to be in.
caticlan airport airside bus #caticlanairport #caticlan
caticlan airport airside bus #caticlanairport #caticlan
Good that I got to sit at the back! That's a little issue with PAL stations using these small Q400 planes - especially Cebu, and now I discovered Caticlan too. Those planes only have 80+ passenger capacity, so when they're not full, PAL staff want to load ALL passengers in just one bus, therefore just one trip.

Nothing wrong with that, in general. But, for many passengers (including me) the waiting inside a bus, ruins the otherwise enjoyable flight experience. In 'passenger psychology' (oo me ganun oi!) a minute of waiting feels like an hour! And all passengers get easily upset because that is mere irresponsibility.

Yes, irresponsibility of those fellow passengers who are still missing. Dyan nagmumula ang init ng ulo. Aminin mo, when that happens, what usually enters your brain is this: 'tangina sino ba ang mga yan, sinabi nang 11:55 ang boarding, bakit wala pa? Dapat iwanan na ang mga bwiset na yan para matuto!

O ha? Aminiiin! Yan ang pumapasok sa isip mo (at marami pang iba)! We're all like that. Tao lang!

The cute part of such situations is that: since according to our moral standards we can't just publicly blurt out those 'nasty' things we are thinking, the ire is transferred to the airline. Irate passengers na!

I could see, especially those standing passengers, were starting to murmur some things! Ahahaaay!

Anyway, I busied my self taking my 'probably one last look' at this "old" Caticlan Airport Terminal.
caticlan airport departure terminal viewed from the old tarmac#caticlanairport #caticlan
I say "probably" because who knows, the next time I come to use this airport, it may already be at the new terminal building, now under construction, over at the other end, and other side of the runway!

Hey I also had a "one last glance" at their baggage buildup area. Can you see the "pushcarts"?
caticlan airport departure terminal baggage loading area viewed from the old tarmac #caticlanairport #caticlan
But we have already discussed that topic sometime ago, right? Like here, here and here, remember?

Oh, add this to the experience... all folks finally on the bus, yet it still won't move going to our plane.
caticlan airport old tarmac #caticlanairport #caticlan
I somehow knew what was happening, so I focused the phone's camera in that direction. A plane was landing, so everything had to "freeze"! Besides, the 'road' of our bus is also the runway, so wait muna!

Make the long 18 minutes wait, nakarating din kami sa aming mumunting edroplano. Yehey!
passengers boarding a plane from the bus at caticlan airport #caticlanairport #caticlan
Shortly thereafter.., we departed! Ano ba yan, parang 'dear departed' ang tunog ng pagkasabi ko!

I was seated 4D and these were my views as the plane moved out of its parking bay.
caticlan airport new terminal #caticlanairport #caticlan

Here's a view with the new terminal under construction (mukhang matagal pa matatapos yan 'no?)...
caticlan airport new terminal #caticlanairport #caticlan

More constructions. The white chunk in the middle is not a warehouse. THAT is today's Arrival Area!
caticlan airport new terminal #caticlanairport #caticlan

This little thing is a "tow truck" - it's a mighty 'small but terrible' machine. It can push or drag planes!
caticlan airport new terminal #caticlanairport #caticlan
But the 2 at the back (left), ang nagpataas ng kilay ko! OMG are those golf carts? If so, are those 'rated' to be used on an airport tarmac or apron? Those could be blown by mere wind on the tarmac or even more perilous (simba ko, 'wag naman sana) by engine blast from planes turning-around or departing.

Hmmn, San Miguel Corporation... they may probably sometimes forget, that an airport is a business of running planes with passengers, not production of SML, Chippy or ChizCurls hahaha! Juice ko, nano ni!

What will we see next? Forklifts being used to load baggage to airplanes? Hiyay!

Anyway again, their buses are looking good and have good air-conditioning (hopefully they last long)!
caticlan airport new terminal #caticlanairport #caticlan
I think I saw the brand-logo of "Higer" on those buses. Anupangaba, ala eh di made in "mainland" din!

Anyway again, I recorded clips from the bus ride until takeoff. I'll put it here soon. Ah ok, eto na pala!

Looking at the videos I realized something: for a view of Boracay Island - both during arrival (landing) and departure (takeoff) I should have chosen seats on the left-side-window of the plane. 'Seat A' yun.

Takeoffs and landings at a runway do actually change, sometimes very often, even in just a single day. But it depends on the location of the runway. And my pilot friends tell me, for Caticlan, it is usually at Runway 06 and seldom on Runway 24 due to strong tailwinds. Aw, that's too technical! Basta "Seat A"!

Well, not that the right side of my plane was anything to dislike, naman. There were wonderful views!

Like this protruding land mass on the shoreline near the big river, that's Brgy. Unidos in Nabas, Aklan.
aerial view of Nabas, Aklan viewed from a PAL plane. #Nabas
Someone told me there's a "pebble beach" in that barangay. Hmm, that must be worth checking out.

What I actually find intriguing about that part of earth is: after the runway (you can still see it - under the propeller in the picture), there's a Brgy. Union already in the town of Nabas. It is followed by Brgy. Rizal and Brgy. Unidos. What caused them to name their places like so? Especially United and Unidos?

Two barangays with the same name, but one is in English and the other is in Spanish! Bakit kaya?

This next pic is still generally Nabas, a promising future destination town, being adjacent to Malay.
aerial view of Nabas, Aklan viewed from a PAL plane. #Nabas
I know there is a wind farm (windmills) in those mountains. I could see all of them with my bare eyes. My aged phone probably can't capture things that far, or, I did not really know where to focus, or both!

Basta, there are windmills in those mountains. I think I counted more than 10!

Then there's the town of Ibajay, Aklan. I haven't really roamed it yet, but passed-by there many times.
aerial view of Ibajay, Aklan viewed from a PAL plane. #Ibajay
Why is that? Ahem... reveal the age... a long long time ago, when there was no airport at Caticlan yet... any time you went from Kalibo to Caticlan, the jeep would pass by Ibajay. And that, was the only way!

I remember it to be one of the bigger towns (if not the biggest) along the route. The jeep would make a brief stop for people to have snacks or even meals, as it was the midpoint (halfway) of the journey!

And then here is Kalibo, the capital town of the province of Aklan. How did I know that? Very easy!
aerial view of Kalibo, Aklan viewed from a PAL plane. #Kalibo
The surest 'palatandaan' from up in the air (at least for me) is the airport's runway at left. That is very much unmistakably the Kalibo International Airport's Runway 05/23. Well, I could also see the roof of Unitop Department Store hehehe, therefore, there is the Aklan Provincial Capitol, slightly above it. Da!

And then... namigay ng pagkain, a welcome distraction hahaha! Tanghali na, di kami nag-lunch!
PAL Domestic Flight Skytreats
That's another notable note: if your flight is at noon, kelan ka kakain ng 'tunay na pagkain', before you leave the house/hotel, along the way or after arrival? I'm guessing... there is no right or wrong answer.

It depends on the person and/or his circumstance (yata). In my case, we had a heavy buffet breakfast before leaving Astoria Current. But somehow, my mind seems to be already conditioned that it should tell my stomach "you are hungry" when 12NN comes. So, at 1239H, while flying over Panay and Negros, I felt I wanted snacks! Voila, ayan ang Ube Roll, freshly baked for PAL by Goldilocks- the wrapper says.

Syempre me kasamang ga-kamao na bottled water hehe! At least hindi (pa) vial o kaya sachet!

Next time I looked (because the pilot announced it), we were above the crater of Kanlaon Volcano!
Kanlaon Volcano crater viewed from a PAL plane #Kanlaon
Sporadically surrounded by clouds, but in general maitim sya na parang nasunog. Syempre volcano e!

That was not the first time I have flown over Mt. Kanlaon, but I think I'll never have enough of it! Feels like you are slowly passing by a giant monster that could bite or swat you away if disturbed! Fairytale!

Oh this island is very familiar. I've also seen it from the air a number of times. Hi Sipaway!
Sipaway Island viewed from a PAL plane #Sipaway
The photo looks inverted compared to what we would normally see on a map. That's because we were passing north of the island, flying from west to east, and I was on the right-side-window of the plane.

For easy reference, that is San Carlos City at the right edge of the picture.

This flight was getting ready for arrival, and the stewardess came to read my breast again hehehe!
I gladly obliged for I knew what she was doing. I could even hear her repeating what she just read, as she returned to her station. She was murmuring "2238 Tacloban". Do you know what the sticker is for?

It's an important communication tool among airline and travel industry personnel. If ever they stick a thing like that unto your breast, don't remove it for no good reason. That is always for your own good.

Let's interpret that sticker. It says "Meet And Assist this PAL passenger he has a short connecting flight to Tacloban on PR2238". All airline (PAL) personnel who see that sticker will help expedite your travel.

MAAS means "meet and assist". That thing is called a "MAAS Sticker". It automatically makes you very special. As in 'special child' hehe! Airline staff can do many things, icluding jumping lines, to help you.

We'll return to that topic a little later. Meanwhile, I already saw the east coast of Cebu behind clouds.

And the plane banked to the left, above that getting-uglier cement mining area in Naga City.
Naga City, Cebu viewed from a PAL plane #nagacebu

And, bumulusok na kami to land at Mactan Cebu International Airport Runway 04. Do you know this?
lantawan restaurant in Cordova Cebu viewed from a PAL plane
Yeah, the famous Lantaw Floating Restaurant and Cordova Tourism Center - yung meron 10,000 lights ek-ek. I'm not a fan of those artificial flowers! But anyway, the area is directly under the landing path.

And so our plane arrived and parked at the usual far parking bays for small planes.
mactan cebu international airport parking bays #MCIA
That was the last picture I took with my phone. I still wanted to click more, but the stewardess called me to her side even before she opened the door. I knew what she was about to do, endorse me hehe!

True enough, when the door opened, she said to the ramp manager who was waiting "sir, meron po 1 MAAS short conex 2238" sabay tulak sa akin hahaha! The manager, itago na natin sa pangalang Nerio, was grinning and said "sige ma'am patakbuhin na namin. I said "animal ka"! And he said "ang special vehicle for you, sir ba"! The "special vehicle" brought me to the arrival area since I said "sayo pa lagi"!

See that? Because of that Maas Sticker, I wasn't asked to ride the usual bus from airplane to terminal. They had another vehicle (an SUV) pick me up at planeside - even if those PAL people know that I am not a child anymore, that I know my way, and I know my flight time. That's how serious their rules are.

At the arrival area, another manager also with hand-held radio was there to fetch me, itago natin sya sa pangalang Bimbim hehe. He asked if I had any checked baggage, I said none, then he said "aw sus, sige bahala na ka adto sa boarding gate ha"? I said "I'll eat Arroz Caldo since it was not boarding yet"!
mactan cebu international airport domestic arrival hall #MCIA
But I heard him relay by radio that: I already had my boarding pass for the Tacloban flight (issued at Caticlan); that I had no check-in baggage; that I was on the way to Mabuhay Lounge to await boarding.

Now let me tell you that, though everything was full of jokes since the (old) PAL Cebu people know me and I know them, you will notice, because of that little sticker on my chest I was being monitored and endorsed (by radio) every step of the way. Ah even the Mabuhay girls radioed that I was already there!

I'm sure the root of all those was, PAL Caticlan messaged Cebu that I had a short connecting time.

They do what they just did to me, especially for those with UM Stickers. It's a similar thing to that one above, but sometimes instead of MAAS, you will see UM and the flight number. Unaccompanied Minor, more than 2 but less than 12 years old, that is what UM means. I'm sure many of can't be UM anymore!

Well, there's an extra thing they do for UMs (yung mga batang ipinadala lang sa airline hehehe). A PAL staff is with the child from the time they get off the plane until the child reunites with adult relatives.

Anyway, just a few minutes of eating arroz caldo at the Mabuhay Lounge, I was up in the air again...
an aerial view of Mactan Island's norther areas #MactanIsland

Crossed mainland Leyte while it was covered and shrouded in thick fluffy white clouds...

And at 4:55PM, here we were about to bank left to Tacloban, above Tanauan and Tolosa!
I like the geographic demarcation of those two hills! The one at right is part of Brgy Olot Tolosa Leyte. The one at left is part of Brgy. Bislig Tanauan Leyte. Planes from Cebu usually bank left here then dive straight down to Runway 36 of Tacloban's Daniel Z Romualdez Airport where we touched down at 5PM!

Goodnight. Back to work tomorrow. Argh!

Post a Comment

0 Comments