US Naval Supply Depo, Guiuan


Still in Guiuan, we happened to have passed by this historical spot, that is not really that popular to the younger generation of tourists, because they don't know, a natural paradise is only a few meters away!
Well actually, that's all that remains of the supply depot! And at least it looks like it's been cleaned and spruced-up! I heard sometime ago, that the reason this site was 'dolled up' again, was because of the  encouragement from foreign development/aid workers, who kept passing by this place, in the course of doing their Yolanda-related activities at Sulangan or nearby areas. The place looks like a park now!

Not that this corner was totally "nothing" before Yolanda. This was/is already a locally identified World War II Memorial ever since, like during my visit in 2010. Well yes, it also got a bit damaged by Yolanda. But what can a super typhoon do to a mere flagpole planted on a painted triangular road intersection?

Nothing much to worry about. Even so, Guiuan seem to have received help to improve and beautify it!
Oh ha?! That's one side of the triangular intersection. A nice-enough "pit-stop", if only it can attract and sustain a constant flow of visitors/customers! There's a café, a restaurant, pasalubong center. Pwede!

Look closely, it says Vetereans Park! But everything above is not even what attracts me to this place!

Only about 300 meters to the east (left edge of that photo above) is a beach, and what may have been an important part/portion/whatever of that US Naval Facility during World War II. Ah, I like that beach!

I went there of course. Vehicles can now go all the way to the edge - which, was not possible on a car before Yolanda. I think they also fixed/improved that road, together with what they did to the flagpole.

At the edge of that road, this was my view.
The sand is cream colored. My phone just made it reddish. Maybe to compensate for the gloomy day?

Looking to the right, as I stood there facing the Pacific Ocean, this was my view...
That white sandy beach (which you can't even see in the photo due to the grass and shrubs) stretches for 6 or 7 kilometers all the way to the southern tip of this island (Calicoan) before reaching Sulangan.

Did you notice there's concrete pavement where I stood? Look on the lower-right portion of the picture it looks like this must have been something useful some years ago, or the most recent past. Definitely not a residence. A plaza maybe? Or a road? a seaport or airport? The paved remnants is just too wide.

One more thing... did you notice there are "cottages" on the right edge of that picture above? Well they are really nothing but little huts made of native materials. But in the Philippine countryside (kahit nga sa Cavite eh), they are called "cottages"! And, I was happy to have seen those 'additions' to this place!

Why? Because not so long ago, I passed by this place, just curious, and there was nothing but a single shack (like a dilapidating guard house), and the place was littered with rubbish, from rotting left-overs, used rum/whiskey bottles, plastic bags or wrappers, to broken plates and glass, even used condoms!

Now it is cleaner, with these 'cottages' that seem to be owned and maintained by an institution (LGU?)
These huts look newly-erected, and I like their "rural feel". I hope this "convenience" will attract visitors from this town and outside - to enjoy the panoramas and the roar of battering waves, if they can't surf!

Oh, I looked to the left, and the view is similar - a still treeless stretch of beach battered by big waves!
If you noticed, the white sand has become green with beach-crawling ipomea vines and other shrubs - proof that few human feet trod here. Down at the water's edge though, it remains a white sand beach.

Still to the left, that rocky promontory is constantly batted by the big waves, unlike down here, where I stood, those big waves seem to break into small white ripples, some hundred meters out from shore.
Waves are strong there I could hear the thunderous sound. I wonder if next time I could go near it. Da!

Hmm, I should ask around before doing that. I'm not a surfer, I'm just a son-of-a-beach, so I don't know if it's actually safe going there and being there hehe! The battering/splashing sounds are intimidating!

This place reminds me of General Luna in Siargao. Well, that's just down south after Homonhon!

Oh, someone's asking for locations. Let me try showing those places in the following map captures:
That's the south tip of Samar Island. Guiuan is southernmost town and Calicoan Island (yellow arrow) is south of the poblacion. For reference, look at other places in the map -for example the land mass at left is Leyte. You can see Homonhon Island (part of Guiuan too) at the bottom. Suluan Island too - the unlabeled island at the lower-right edge of the picture. That is the eastern-most island of the Visayas.

Now let us zoom a little bit to the area of Calicoan Island, in realation to other areas in Guiuan.
Yes, that's where my yellow arrow points to. Note that when you travel from town center, it doesn't feel like a separate island from Guiuan or even mainland Samar since it's linked by the Pagnamitan Bridge.

It's the same story with Sulangan - a separate island from Calicoan, but linked by the Sulangan Bridge.

Then let's zoom further to the location of WWII US Naval Supply Depo which is the red arrow here:
That triangular intersection is our first picture above. The purplish/bluish arrow is that second picture above where there's signage that says Veterans Park. The white arrow points to those nipa huts, while the black arrow indicates where I stood when I took those photos of the beach and the Pacific Ocean.

Anyway, there goes one of my little secret hideaways, revealed hahaha! A historical marker that, I wish could develop further into a must-see recreation pit-stop, and a once filthy beach that now looks nicer.

Let's hop along then...

Post a Comment

0 Comments