Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol


It's like this... I passed by this town yesterday, after Jagna, but it was already too dark, not only for my phone's camera, but even for my ("aged", okay fine) human eyes! So, especially that it was raining, we just breezed-by the center of town (although I shot a few pics). And today, I returned to see more of it.

Yesterday
Entering Garcia-Hernandez from Jagna, that wonderful view of the vast Bohol Sea continued...
beautiful views at the coastal road approaching Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
This was about 4 kilometers to center of town, which over at that end across the big cargo ship.

Oh, I caught a snap of this cute signage along this road, a few meters before the above scenic shot...
beautiful views at the coastal road approaching Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
Wala lang. I just found that cute. The sign itself is nothing fantastic, it's fairly normal-usual-rural. What made me smile (I guess), was the thought of what was being offered! Do you know what a "baktin" is?

In most of Central Visayas, "baktin" means "piglet". In Tagalog "biik". Now, have you ever seen one that is not a cutie-cute, piggy-pig, porky-pork, oink oink? That is probably the reason why I smiled amused!

Anyway, at about ths point in time of the joyride, I gave up at trying to clearly see places. It just wasn't a joy anymore as it kept raining, and it was getting dark anyway. So, I decided to "continue tomorrow".

Driver/guide said he was available and even suggested we visit a park and resort near this corner.
Canayaon West junction leading to  Maambong Spring Resort in Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
Aba, what good timing! We were passing by that corner when he suggested that. So okay, Maambong Resort and Roxas Park of Garcia-Hernandez would be our initial destination tomorrow morning! Done!

Then I saw those landslides up those hills, where there appears to be some structures on top.
landslides on the hills near Philippine Mining Services Corporation (PMSC) in Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
He casually answered "ah PMSC, minahan yan". And he said those might not be just simple landslides but blasted limestone hills. So I learned that PMSC (Philippine Mining Service Corporation) mines and distributes limestones in this country and abroad. Whatever. I just know I don't like mines of any kind.

Just when I was silently saying in my mind: "I just don't like mines of any kind" we passed by these...
PMSC mine conveyor belt crossing the Bohol Circumferential Road in Garcia-Hernandez
PMSC limestone mine conveyor belt in Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
Philipppine Mining Services Corporation (PMSC) office in Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
I said they remind me of Cebu as there are things like that in Naga and Alcoy. Guide said PMSC is the same company operating in Alcoy, only that here it is limestone while at Alcoy it's dolomite. Whatever!

Anyway, I was happier looking at good old vintage wooden houses in the poblacion area..,
big old wooden houses in Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol

And their municipal hall...
Municipal Town Hall of Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol

And their church...

We just zoomed through town, and I also liked this view-deck looking out to sea, along the highway...

Whaa! I even saw someone riding a horse, also on this highway!

Then there is this sharp blind corner with a catchy reminder... "your family is waiting for you"...
That reminds me, I saw a 'catchier' version of that last phrase. It said "your lovers are waiting for you"! But that was a long long time ago, in Davao Oriental, when there were no phone cameras on earth yet!

Imagine that, "your lovers" - kulukadidadng na plural pa! Won't you heed the advise to drive carefully?

And lastly, before I finally gave up taking pictures yesterday, this scene really got me...
That had me debating within my self. though my driver/guide also joined in, what could have been the manong thinking for him to clamber and sit up there all alone? Was that bus really full that it could not anymore take in just one more person? Ayaw nya may katabi? Gusto nya magpa-ulan? Da! Palaisipan!

And, racing against the evening darkness, we continued to speed our way back to Tagbilaran.

Today...
We set out after an early breakfast. Not trying to catch anything. Just hoping there'd be less rain...
That, by the way, is the "Parola" (now called "Baluarte") and wharf in Baclayon. I took that photo as we passed-by, since this was the first time I saw that roofed structure on that (reclaimed) portion of land. Hmn, I think even the wharf has been extended farther out to sea - beyond the right edge of the photo.

Well anyway, I just noticed here too, this was even a gloomier day than yesterday.

But we arrived at Garcia-Hernandez town proper, and the municipal hall looked a bit brighter!
Municipal Town Hall of Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
Yes, the Garcia-Hernandez Town Hall that my guide calls 'the pink munsipyo'. As he started his usual 'tour guide spiels', he told me that this building, although now concreted and modernized, still looks a bit the same as the original old town-hall that was made of wood - according to his grandparents. Da!

Ah, while there's a town named "President Carlos P. Garcia" (usually shortened to "CP Garcia"), the 8th president of the Philippines, this town's name has/had nothing to do with him! This place was named so, many years before he was even born. The "Garcia" (and "Hernandez") here, were names of priests.

Parish priests of other towns. Fr. Jose Garcia de la Virgen de los Remedios, the parish priest of Loon, and Fr. Narciso Hernandez de Jesus y Maria, the parish priest of Guindulman. They purportedly were the ones who helped convince the Spanish authorities to convert the barrio Sinugbuan into this town.

There is no "wonderful greens" around their town hall that sits on the very side of the highway. It is a "buildings everywhere" situation hehe, including a big one that is in the making - a sports something.

Across it though is a big wide green park-like area surrounded by little buildings, a tennis court, some residences and the church, while at the front are sari-sari store huts. We wondered, is it of the church or the state? Whatever, but given 'necessary attention', it can become a beautiful park like at Jagna's.

Hey, I saw something "weird" at the entrance of that "park". Their kilometer marker said it is KM 208. Hmm, I wondered and still am wondering.., where is this kilometer marker 208 kilometers from or to? Eh, this place is probably only 50 kilometers from the provincial capitol in Tagbilaran ah. And too bad I don't have a picture. I really thought I snapped one. Well, at least the J11 and V11 seem to be correct!

Speaking of the church that sits beside, or on that park, I took a similar pic from yesterday (above)!
St. John the Baptist Parish Church of Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
That's the "Parroquia de San Juan Bautista de Garcia–Hernandez". Oh ha? I cannot stop pronouncing that long Hispanic name repeatedly! I feel so 'estudyantes pasosyales' pag binibigkas ko yan hahaha!

Yes, the "St. John the Baptist Parish Church of Garcia-Hernandez" kung sa Ingles pa! There were two bell towers in the past. The other one, however, was crumbled into pieces during the 1990 earthquake. Good that it sustained only minor damage (therefore repairable) in last 2013's destructive earthquake.

Inside, I immediately said "WOW"! Just look at the posts in this church. Wood!
inside St. John the Baptist Parish Church of Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol

My guide says those are mostly still original. They just cemented every base due to signs of decay.
big wooden posts of St. John the Baptist Parish Church of Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol

The ceiling at center is already painted, but those of the 'wings' (side extensions) are still in progress.
ceiling painted with biblical scenes at St. John the Baptist Parish Church of Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
The original edifice did not have painting on the ceiling. These were started only in 2015. I'm not really that much appreciative of churches commissioning artists to do paintings at ceilings. Mahal kasi yan!

Unless artists themselves offer these for free, using their own paint. Sayang ang pera, wala na pambili ng Pajero si pader, ano ba kayo! I guess okay lang (hayaan na) yun mga lumang simbahan na painted 19-kupung-kupung pa, since the economy in those days was not as bad. Kaso andyan na yan. Sige go!

My guide and I silently laughed as we agreed that, this parish probably succumbed to peer pressure or "inggit" since other churches in its neighboring towns all have painted ceilings. 2015 lang? That's a lot more of donations needed. Eh kung ipambili nalang kaya ng pagkain ng mga dukha, kesa sa painting?

Besides, doing so many paintings make a church like a museum. What happens is: when people enter, hahangad at nganganga nalang sila to appreciate paintings (na maganda, in fairness) kesa magdasal.

Ops ops ooops! Don't me! Aba, tourist ako oo, but when I visit churches, I pray to say my thanks. Kaso nga, yun na nga, pag meron mga mapapanood katulad ng paintings, di nanonood na rin ako. Tao lang!

Hmmm, I'm sure... kayo mga 'bagets and millenial' readers ko would like to go and see that church for its ceiling than to pray, 'no? Ayan, tourist attraction na. Sige kayo next time meron na entrance fee yan!

Anyway, here's one thing that is "orig".., a functional "pulpit" purportedly still in its original form.
old pulpit of St. John the Baptist Parish Church of Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
To be honest, even at my golden age, I actually haven't yet seen a priest doing a daily or Sunday mass by going up such a thing for his "sermon"! I don't know, won't they look ridiculous up there nowadays?

The altar...
altar of St. John the Baptist Parish Church of Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol

The priest's view...
the priest's view at St. John the Baptist Parish Church of Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
While we looked at that choir loft above the main door, I jokingly sternly accosted my guide by holding his collar and saying "nasaan ang antique pipe organ dyan galing Zaragosa Spain, nasaan, ilabas mo"!

As we laughed, he told me it may have been taken to Las Piñas by the contracted repair company. But he assured me that it should be in place soon, because it's one of the most highlighted projects of the parish, and known all around the island/province, when they rallied the people for donations. Like that!

Yeah, 'like that' as in 'ganun' hehe! Anyway, the story is that the pipe organ came from Zaragoza in the 1890s; last played in the '70s; still had sound but 'yabag na'; gathered dust at the loft; received its final 'decrepitude' in the 1990 quake; priest rallied the people in 2015 to have it restored. And now, WE wait.

Anyway, I was and am still amazed by this church, not because of the ceiling or the organ that has yet to re-appear, but the posts. They seem to show us, that wood is as sturdy, if not better, than concrete!

Okay, so we went next to the woods up the hills hehe. Just some 2 kilometers uphill is Roxas Park.
entrance to Roxas Park and Camp Grounds, Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
I noticed that the town seems to be much eager bannering Maambong Spring than Roxas Park where it is located. Maybe because Maambong Spring is their latest "attraction", otherwise it is just a forest!

It is officially called the President Manuel A. Roxas Campsite, made in the early 1940s. That is what I expected to explore, as there are supposed to be a viewing deck, cave, walking paths, bike paths etc., other than the open space for boy/girl scouting activities! A national jamboree was held here in 1981.

But, guide said the park was closed. All we could do there was park his vehicle since the cleared area (with basketball court), is a designated parking lot for visitors to the swimming pools across the road.

So... okay, we paid the entrance fee and went in to the "Maambong Spring & Resort" just to see it.
Maambong Spring Resort of Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
Of course "just to see it"! Alangan magtampisaw ako dyan, eh ang lamig-lamig ng umaga, nag-uuulan at kumikidlat pa! It's a cold mountain spring & pool. Malamig talaga! So don't me as in 'wag mo akong!

entrance details and rules at Maambong Spring Resort of Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
swimming pool at Maambong Spring Resort of Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
swimming pool at Maambong Spring Resort of Garcia-Hernandez, Bohol
Eto pa ang good news: since it's a spring, water continuously flows from the mountains! So ang lamig!

I was ready to plunge actually, I usually am. But in the prevailing conditions.., "don't me" hahaha!

My guide did educate me about many things else Garcia-Hernandez. Like they do have beaches in this town, just not of the fine white sand, but frequented by locals just the same. And as in previous towns we saw, this town's hills & mountains, with waterfalls, caves and views, are frequented by tourists too!

Let's go to the next town in my "Bohol's Southern Towns" itinerary. Next!

========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of stories:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
  21   22   23                                                      
========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.


Post a Comment

0 Comments