Alburquerque Town Center


Alburquerque, Bohol. Let us start with that name - just for us to be careful with historical associations and the 'origin of things' around us! As I said more than 2 decades ago, be careful with that name. It is Alburquerque with a letter "R" on the second syllable. It is different from Albuquerque City in America!

Ah, idamay na rin natin sa usapan yan... yes, Albuquerque is a US city in the state of New Mexico - not in the country of Mexico, because there's no city nor town named Albuquerque or Alburquerque there.

But here are 2 cute facts: Albuquerque City, NM was originally named "Villa De Alburquerque". There's one town named exactly "Alburquerque" in the province of Badajoz, Spain (mlapit na yan sa Portugal).

That can muddle or even belie the theory of some folks who say that 'Albur' in Bohol was named after a city in Mexico due to the associations that resulted from the Manila-Acapulco Trade. It can also be, that the conquistadores in Bohol (priests) were fond of or from Alburquerque in Spain, thus the name.

Okay now... balik tayo sa Bohol - 𝅘𝅥𝅯𝆕balik sa Bohol balik𝆕𝅘𝅥𝅯!

Locals (Boholanos in general) usually say "Albur" when referring to this town, instead of pronouncing the long whole name that is Alburquerque. They call themselves "Alburhanons" - meaning taga-Albur.

The ride from Loay to Albur took just a few breaths. Around 5 to 6kms said my driver/guide. But their boundary, by a white sand beach full of mangroves, is only some 2kms before Albur's center of town.

Center of town? Ayay, just when we were arriving, my 'kausap' txtd that she was still in some gathering somewhere, that she can't see me in Albur, and requested that we meet instead at the "Ocean Café" in Tagbilaran. Nge! So we just breezed through Albur, but I made sure to have a glance at center of town!

No sweat, I knew their church is just by the highway. Unfortunately for me... it looked like this:
Santa Monica Parish Church of Alburquerque, Bohol
All my driver/guide could say was "ayan na naman sir, construction construction constructions" haha!

He was frustrated hehehe. He wanted to show the most. But I made do with what was 'available'!
Santa Monica Parish Church of Alburquerque, Bohol
Exasperated as he already was, guide pointed to me a signage (at center) that said "Please be patient of our progress... please use the side doors". So, we went to the sides. But, both were already closed!

Hahaha! My driver/guide was now pouting in disappointment. But I know and understand that feeling, as my tour guide, he wanted to show the best and the most of what Bohol has. Not construction sites!

I think, because of so many travel experiences, I already learned how to cope with such unexpected or frustrating situations. So chill lang ako! These "under construction" things form part of the experience. Aba, who knows, in the future, someone may like or need my "in the making" stories and photos, diba?

Looking over to the right, also under re-construction is the "kumbento" with a "connecting bridge".
Santa Monica Parish Church of Alburquerque, Bohol
That bridge connects to the church choir loft, which was not much affected by the 2013 earthquake.

That reminds me of other churches I have seen in other places around this country.

Anyway, my driver/guide tried his best to fill me in on information about this church and convent, even if all we could do was 'disheartenedly' gaze at them from the big grassy-green garden and plaza hehe!

That is the Santa Monica Parish Church of Alburquerque, Bohol. Like that of Loay, this church is also being repaired by the government (National Historical Commission) as an important cultural property.

Like the church at Garcia-Hernandez, this one also has big old wooden pillars (haligi) along the aisles. The ceiling was also painted by R. Francia, guide is not aware if those were ruined by the 2013 quake.

I can't quite recall where, but I know I have seen at least two or three churches in this country that also have that connecting bridge to the convent. Guide said I must have seen those outside of Bohol, since this is the only one in the whole island with such a connecting bridge. Lovely that they're preserving it.

The convent is so big, it's not only the residence of the parish priest, it is also where seminarians live, there are display areas for old church artifacts, yet it also houses the parish office and activity center.

I already said "wow", but he was not done telling me more! Like: even before the 2013 earthquake and subsequent assistance from government, this church was already undergoing repairs here and there.

Plus, I learned that there was/is even a wood-working shop behind the church, where a group of local artisans do wood carving of statues and intricate lace-like decors for various areas within the church.

How much more if we were able to enter the church and convent, 'no? Sige next time (nanaman?)!

Diagonally across the highway from the church grounds, my driver/guide pointed to this area.
Municipal Hall of Alburquerque, Bohol
I immediately asked by saying "ano yan", but at the same time I read the 'name' in front of the building. So I lamented 'bakit naman ganyan, me nakaharang'. Driver said he wonders why too and we laughed!

At least it looks like the "blocker building" (at left) also houses some of their local government offices.

I said "me harang o wala, this is still the Municipal Hall of Alburquerque, Bohol", walang kokontra!
Municipal Hall of Alburquerque, Bohol
While we were still laughing, my driver/guide informed me that the building isn't going to last that long anyway, because it too, is already scheduled for renovation. Constructions constructions everywhere!

I aimed at the "blocker building", but when I clicked, this pesky little multicab entered the picture!
Municipal Hall of Alburquerque, Bohol
Haay, so many things happening hahaha! At least the "blocker building" can still be seen at the back. It was just blocked by a 'blocker multicab'. Naunsa ni oi, puros 'block'. Or, is that 2 blocker buildings? Da!

Hahaha whatever! At least there is still their monument, not blocked! I guess that is Jose Rizal!

TaraLet's go to Ocean Café fast. My meeting is happening there instead of here. Haizst!

========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of stories:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
  21   22   23                                                      
========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.


Post a Comment

0 Comments