Jagna Haggling


Let's continue my Jagna story from the previous blog article. We went to the pier, driver/guide pointed to me Jagna Port, and I pre-empted his spiels by citing 'RORO from CDO and fastcraft from Camiguin'.

But, he just smiled as he parked by a Talisay tree on the water's edge, in front of some eatery, while he said "di ba gusto mo mag-yosi muna at mag-Coke sir? Dito maganda, at meron akong ipapakita sayo"!
Jagna Port, also an informal fish port
Hmm, okay, that got me excited. So we entered the eatery with a view of the sea and the port (this pic is from where he parked). We ordered french-fries and 'tusok-tusok' (fishball kikiam etc). Nice view ha!

As we enjoyed the snacks and the views, he asked if I've ever witnessed the 'whispering fish mongers' in Malabon. I said not really, though I've heard and seen those on TV. Then, he proudly beamed, telling me that I would witness that "practice" here and now! He told me to focus on the "small fishing boats".

Excited, I did as instructed, looking at the outrigger boats, not even looking at my Coke when I sipped! Even if he would speak to me, my chinky 'eagle-eyes' were hooked on to the boats and the people (per his instruction heheh). And after some minutes of "surveillance", yes I saw it! OMG how 'complicated'!
fishing boat arrives, fishmongers and whisperers meet them
An intricate choreography on 'how to move' or 'how to communicate' at Jagna Port's "fishy" business.

Do you see the blue arrow I drew on that picture above? I wanted to highlight that outrigger boat (with an engine) to get us describing the 'scheme of things' at this pier. Such boats deliver the fish to shore.

Here are some interesting snippets:

01] These boats arrive at this port in the early mornings and/or late afternoons. Why is that? It's just a choice of suppliers and/or buyers. It depends on where the fish are to be retailed, such as at the local public market, upland markets (talipapa), other places as far as Tagbilaran, Dagohoy or other islands!

02] The fish (lots of them) already come packed in styropore boxes, tin or plastic tubs (banyera) with ice. If we can't see containers, as in the picture, it's because they're stowed in the belly of those boats.

03] Such a boat may or may not be the actual vessel that went out to sea to catch fish. Its load could be coming from other bigger boats anchored offshore, or some location like other coastal barangays.

04] A good indicator if a boat is just a "transfer vessel" as described in item #03 above is the number of people on board and what they wear. In the pic, there are too many of them who don't look like real fishermen. They could be 'just going ashore' from other boats or locations where the boat came from.

05] Some of those men (sometimes women) could just be honestly innocently hitching a ride. Or, they could be 'spies' observing listening for the right (cheapest) price to bargain for each fish lot. They may also be "emissaries" of a buyer. So the "whispering" of "whisperers" can/may already start on the boat.

06] Prices at this stage of this fish-dealing business are "wholesale" - meaning the minimum that one can buy is one container (styropore/plastic box or tin tub - banyera). There is no legal or professional price standard - just market/industry experience. If you quote too low, the seller may just laugh at you!

07] Those men wading on the water (red arrows in photo above) are approaching the on-coming boat. They may either be just plain scavenger/beggars or they could be the emissaries/touts representing a buyer, or they may even be the buyers themselves! If so, the "whispering" could also start at that point.

08] Why be ahead to whisper your bid? Ah, later after hearing so many bids/whispers if the seller finds a certain price as the best to sell a fish lot at, and you were first to quote/whisper that price, you win!

I got so engrossed observing the 'scheme of everything' that I went right where they unload the lot!
fish lots being sold wholesale at Jagna Port
My guide was always behind me. He told me it's alright to take pictures but not listen to the whispers! I actually already attempted to do so before he told me that, but couldn't hear nor understand anyway!

09] Their whispers are coded - or in an "industry lingo"! Example: I heard "piso lima". Duh hahaha! And I think, according to my observation hehe, they also use hand-signals and/or cellphones as aids/tools.

10] In general, the procedure is: those containers are unloaded by boat hands on to the ground at this docking area. Those are immediately 'selling' and the whisperers start their whisperings. But, if some (or all) containers are brought elsewhere, that means those are already 'sold'. How? It's hard to know! Maybe the men on the boat, or those who waded to the boat, were first to whisper their winning bids!

11] Immediately after unloading, those boats depart for who knows where, without regard as to what happened or what is happening with the whispering transactions. Those 2 roles seem to be unrelated.

12] No two boats arrive and dock at the same time. Guide told me it is a "protocol" among the sellers! So, the next boat miraculously only arrives as soon as the previous one departs, very precisely on cue!

13] Some women who could wing a container or two, immediately sell (retail) the same fish on site!

Conclusion: I saw (and detected) so many layers of "middle businesses" in this activity!

Very interestingly curiously engaging to watch and witness. Ah, I only saw a few "fishing boats" dock and 'transact' business. I wanted to see more! But at least, I now have a 'general idea' (or knowledge) of how these "fishy things" are done - before they 'travel' the very long route to reach our dining tables!

What a learning experience. All because I traveled. Dahil namasyal ako! A real/actual immersion as to why fishermen remain as poor as they are, no matter the catch. And why fish become so expensive at the markets! Hmn, maybe I should write a white paper about this segment of the industry 'no? Pwede!

Ayan.., to you my readers who are in the academe, commerce or civil management.., get a hint!

Let's finally go to my next destination, shall we? In the next blog entry, that is!

========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of stories:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15  16   17   18   19   20
  21   22   23                                                      
========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.


Post a Comment

0 Comments