Oh Lila!


So here I was in Lila, Bohol. This town is only about 8 kilometers on a westward run from Dimiao.

But and however, midway on that distance is actually the boundary between the two towns - which is Banban 1 Bridge that I mentioned on the last paragraph of my previous story. Let's take it from there!
But let us clarify that again, I was traveling on the opposite direction of the usual way of travelers who would normally come from Tagbilaran. Ako, I came from the eastern end of Bohol (Mabini, Anda, etc).

The other side of that signage says "Come Again" - that is still "Lila speaking".

You might be wondering, if that bridge pictured above is named "Banban 1", there must be a Banban 2 or 3 etc? Well, there's at least Banban 2 that I saw, some 400 meters prior to that spot, on Dimiao side.

I'm saying all that because, both bridges have wonderful views of the sea. Good selfie spots! Plus, the place above with the colored flags, is a rest/viewpoint area complete with a kiosk and some benches.

Now.., if like us, you don't have time to stop at that viewpoint, you will still see more views anyway!
That panorama continues, until you reach the town center (poblacion) of Lila, and onto the next town!

Town center... oops oh yes, we reached town center, and when the car stopped, this was to my right!
I immediately went for it! Unfortunately.., I could not anymore enter. It was already closed for the day!

Bummer! Disappointment again! I stood there for a while, trying to gather my thoughts on what would be the next best thing to do. Kasama na sa pinag-isipan ang "gibain ko kaya ang pinto na ito" hahaha!

In exasperation, facing that big door, I even jokingly said loudly "Padre Damaso, abre la puerta. Ibukas mo ang iyong puerta"! And I laughed loudly. My guide grinned, though I knew he didn't fully understand why I laughed so hard. He eventually asked why, so I explained it, especially the last sentence hahaha!

Even if we could not enter, my guide still told me things about this church even as we stood there, so I listened well. That is the Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Parish Church of Lila, Bohol. It's called by many names such as 'Nuestra Señora Del Rosario', 'Santo Rosario', 'Birhen Del Rosario' Church, and the likes.

The 1925 mark, up at the façade, signifies the year this concreted structure was finished that began in 1915 but this has been a church of wood and nipa since mid 1800s, burned by the Americans in 1901.

This is another of the many Francia-painted churches, thus the ceiling is also full with biblical scenes and images. The pillars inside the church are connected by decorative arches, painted by Francia too.

Also called Nuestra Sra. del Santissimo Rosario Parish Church of Lila, there was minimal damage in the 2013 earthquake, and all repairs just recently finished. Ahh, all the more I itched to see the inside!

Anyway, while still by the church entrance, guide pointed to the municipal hall across the highway.
Unsure.., confused.., since any of those could be "it", I innocently asked "saan dyan", and he laughingly said "yung orange sir, katapat ng kalsada ng simbahan". Oh, so that's the Municipal Hall of Lila, Bohol!

The big and long building at left edge of the photo is the Municipal Gym. Between that and the orange edifice is the "Old Municipal Hall" (still good!), now housing a Municipal Library and other town offices.

The smaller newer structure to the right edge of the picture is their Municipal Health Unit. And, behind all of them, after those coconut trees, is already the Bohol Sea. Wow, they must have wonderful views!

As we walked by the church grounds, I asked if "nakikita ba yung mga tuki-tuki sa likod ng mga ito"?
Guide said 'no', but those gentle giants may actually be just somewhere there, from time-to-time, since the usual viewing area is only about two kilometers away to the west, at a barangay called Taug. Hmn!

Oh, for those who don't know yet, there has been an 'informal' whale-watching activity in this town that has been going-on since many years ago, although I heard their local government has (had?) plans of foramlly putting it on their tourism offerings. The scene/condition here is very similar to that of Oslob.

Of course there's strong opposition from environmentalists, but let's see what happens in the future!

By the way, "tuki-tuki" is the local term for "whale shark". At times they just say "tuki". That is the "toki" in Oslob, though everyone pronounces it as "tuki" anyway! Yep, "butanding" elsewhere in this country.

Teka, I initially wanted to have a closer look at the municipal hall, especially that old wooden building.
But it was hard to be up close and take photos. Construction folks and equipment were busy at work.

So we instead decided to exit this town and proceed to the next. We were running late anyway. But my driver/guide continued to tell me other things about Lila. They have resorts at white sandy beaches; a waterfall with amazing natural pool; caves; highland views; springs, and other adventure destinations.

Then we also passed by an attraction they call the "Water Glide Adventure"! Do you know what it is?
Sorry for the blurry picures, it was raining and I could not get out for a closer look. But this "adventure" is nothing but a concrete "irrigation canal" where clean fresh mountain spring water constantly flows.

And then? And then of course, you float on that rushing stream - to who knows wherever that leads to! I know it's something difficult to imagine for city folks! But trust me, it's such an adventure, the child in you will awaken once more! I should know, I used to do something like that when I was in 'elementary'!

During the rainy days, that "glide" can be like "whitewater rafting" in a safer environment hehe!

Eto pa.., who says rainy days are gloomy lonely ha? Near the water glide, there were mini-"waterfalls"!
A scattering of them actually, and they are mostly just by the side of the highway! I know.., those kinds are 'overflow water' from streams and rivers descending from the hills and mountains. But they're fun!

Hey, it's not as if they're of the 'flashflood' or 'cataclysmic' proportions. Chill enough lang!

Coolness ba! Yes, as I said in the title: "Oh Lila" not Leila, if you know what I mean hahaha!

Next town is Loay. C ya then!

========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of stories:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
  21   22   23                                                      
========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.


Post a Comment

0 Comments