Duero Drive-by


If most towns in Bohol are named after places in Spain, or saints, or well-known personalities (all are nouns), this town was named after an adjective! "Duero" was purportedly originally named "Doguero", meaning "matigas ang ulo", "gahi'g ulo", "hard-headed"! It just evolved into a contraction that it is now!

Well, that was a long time ago, in the 1800s, when the townsfolk were debating on where to build their church (daw, according to my driver/guide)! Hey, democracy was already existent then, puros debate!

It was also a short ride from Guindulman to Duero, probably just about 10kms or so. Unfortunately...
municipal town hall of Duero Bohol
It was drizzling again... haiszt! If you zoom that photo, you will notice the windshield is full of droplets.

But I had to make do hahaha! Desperado? Not naman, sayang lang the opportunity to take pics!
municipal town hall of Duero Bohol
That, is the (newish) Municipal Hall of Dureo, Bohol. If you think it looks different from those of other towns, I will agree with you a thousand percent! First I saw without park or garden-like greens in front.

That sidewalk is already the highway, by the way. However, across that, is a tennis court and a little bit of park-like greens and benches, before the "old" municipal hall and a new event/sport/cultural center.

I got dizzy here! We drove very slowly, can't go down as it was drizzling, I was looking right, attempting to take photos while driver was describing places I should also see on the left side of the highway. Ah!

He was telling me significant things like "before that old municipal hall is the Abueva Residence"; "that old wooden house to our left is the Disaster Office but on 2nd level is the Library/Museum", and so on.

Without looking, I asked which Abueva was he referring to, and he said Napoleon Abueva, the national artist for the arts, and he studied at this elementary school we were passing by, where the library was.

I listened to him without looking, as on my side of the road were also notable places/edifices like this:
Immaculate Academy of Duero Bohol
This is immediately next to the municipal hall and it looked like a school too, so I asked what it is. And he casually said "ah, immaculate, private school yan". At that instant, we were passing by its gate, and I saw the name "Immaculate Academy". Hmm, what a school name! I thought a word was missing like it should be "Immaculate [something] Academy". He said that's the full name, "Immaculate Academy"!

Whatever.., walang basagan ng trip hehehe!

Next to the "Immaculate Academy" is the "Immaculate Conception Parish Church" of Duero, Bohol.
Immaculate Conception Parish Church of Duero Bohol
"Conception", that was the [something] word I was looking for! We checked again. But the school's full, legal and complete name is really just "Immaculate Academy". It doesn't have "Conception". Okay na?!

Ang kulit ko eh, 'no? So atrevida! Eh gusto nila walang "conception" - walang magbubuntis hahaha!

And the rain won't stop! So I just opened my window and took this last shot of the church...
Immaculate Conception Parish Church of Duero Bohol
As if to appease me that I can't go in and see the church (or, baka naman para lalo ako pag-ngitngitin), my guide went on to tell me things about the church. Like: this church was extensively made of wood.

Not only the walls, but even the ceiling and floor were (and still are) made of wood. The way to the bell tower is not from its base but via a bridge connected to the choir loft from inside the church. And, this church is the oldest building in town. Argh! I wanted to see all those, but I could not. Maybe next time.

Driver asked if we should drive around, like to the Abueva residence, the port and so on. But I said not anymore, for what's the use of being there if I cannot get off the vehicle and have a closer look, right?

I'm anyway almost sure that I would be back at this place in the nearest future. Because, Duero is the easier way to go visit the Eskaya people that I have been longing to see. Now I already know the way!

Oh, my driver/guide filled me in on some other information about the Eskaya and their locations. And I learned about "Eskaya Day", which I think should be something to watch-out for, if I want their festival atmosphere (dress, activities); or something to avoid if I wanted to see them on a day-to-day scenario.

Alright, next town Jagna!

But wait... I have to tell you this interesting 'sighting' we saw, as we entered Duero town center!
a convoy of sports cars overtook us as we entered Duero, Bohol
There was a convoy of, probably 10 or more "luxury cars", that overtook us as we entered Duero from Guindulman. Drizzling as it was, I enthusiastically caught pictures of a few of them as this was "rare"!

The one in front (ahead of the first white car), was a bright blue. I think I also saw a goldish yellow and a red! That orangy red thing is a Chevrolet, and that last white is a Mustang (its license plate says so)!

I can't tell about the others just by looking at their shapes hehe. I'm not into cars. I do know by 'eyeball' if a car is the expensive na pampasikat type, or if it is a cheap imitation by some roadside talyer hehe!

Interesting because, it is not common to see such expensive vehicles flying through these rural roads. We don't even know if they are from Bohol, or if they are also on a countryside tour from other islands.

Cool sila to the eyes! I just hate the noisy ones - bawal nga sa kalsada ang mga yun, di ba?

Okay okay, enough na, let's go to Jagna next!

========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of stories:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
  21   22   23                                                      
========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.


Post a Comment

0 Comments