From Resorts World To NAIA Terminal 2

This ride of only about 5 kilometers, took exactly 26 minutes. Yeah, that long!

Ah yes, the world-famous Metro Manila traffic hahaha! Yet, I secretly wished for this ride to crawl a little bit slower! I wanted to see more. This was nostalgia time for me!

Resorts World Manila and NAIA Terminal 3 Were Part of Villr Airbase

How and why is that? Well, in my younger years, I often passed via this vicinity. This area we were departing-from was part of Villamor Airbase (earlier Nichols Airbase), until a big portion was expropriated in 1995 to become NAIA T3 and Resorts World.
a view of plants/greenery and highway flyovers exiting Holiday Inn Express Manila
I do still remember many things here. For example, diagonally across HIE is PAFAM or the Philippine Air Force Aerospace Museum. It is technically just across the road.

But I don't even know now, if one can go there by just crossing the road, as there are now three flyovers leading to, or from, various expressways and urbanities like BGC!

Well, if you can cross from HIE (Holiday Inn Express) or anywhere at Resorts World, to the Airforce General Hospital, then theoretically you can walk to the museum too.
That (I mean behind that flyover) is what I am talking about. I caught my self staring out the window, as the bus departed from HIE. Behind those 3 curving flyovers (yes, there are 3 of them), are the hospital, the Villamor Air Base Gate 4 and the museum.

I must've looked like a hyper-excited kid in his own world, looking left and smiling, as the bus turned right. Anyone could have thought, I probably liked those hotel plants!

Well, I don't mind being mistaken for a green thumb hehe! Hardinero, sosyal!

Andrews Avenue Formerly Nichols Road

But I soon turned my 'heed' to the right, since I was seated on that side of the bus.
Resorts World Manila, Andrews Ave., facing northwest going to Baclaran area
This is Andrews Ave., the road out of NAIA T3 and RWM Integrated Resort Complex going to Baclaran and/or beyond. See my white arrow on the lower left corner of the photo? That's the original road that many still call by its former name, Nichols Road.

Everything to the left of that skyway/expressway/whatever is NAIA Terminal 3. Oh, I recall, where T3 now stands, was a "parade-and-review grounds" with a soccer field.

These are times when I can say "if only digital photography using cellular phones was already available in my younger (or even youngest) years"! Hah, I could have shot a lot of pictures and video clips of my past! They're nice to go-back-to paminsan-minsan!

Anyway... let's get back to the present!

Runway Manila

Runway Manila
Did you notice that orange arrow in the photo above? It points to a now-well-known footbridge (pedestrian overpass) that connects Resorts World to NAIA Terminal 3.

Not just a covered walk. It is air-conditioned, has elevators, even moving walkways (walkalators or travelators) for a comfy walk, across 200++ meters of expressways.
Runway Manila's entrance from the Resorts World side
And they call it Runway Manila. Aru, I even thought that name was some restaurant or anything like that! But no, it's not. It's just a footbridge, an airline friend told me so!

Told me so?! Yes, I haven't really gotten to walk on it yet! Ah, I wished this time I was departing from T3. This would have been an opportune moment for me to try use it.

But PAL flights going CDO use T2. So far, I have only seen the T3 end of that bridge.

Yes. That "T3 end" of Runway Manila (the bridge) is at 4th level, at the mall-like area above the T3 Departure Check-in Hall, where there are many restaurants and shops.

I saw from there, when the bridge was still 'in-progress'.

Anyhow, back to the picture above, on the other side of that 'glass-walled corner' of the building, is the RWM-entrance to Runway Manila. Do not be surprised, it is more of just an elevator lobby but with a guard and an x-ray machine, always open (24/7).

Despite my having not actually passed through that said walkway yet, it's very easy to believe my friends, who told me that: Runway Manila is their most convenient way of entering NAIA T3 - since I can imagine it. One sent me a photo that I can't publish!

Ah I also believe Flexie when he told me that it's not only convenient for entering, but also exiting the airport terminal building, whichever floor you're getting out of! Okay ah!

Disclaimer... yes meron! That walkway is not for all kinds of passengers. Example: if you have a lot of luggage and/or balikbayan boxes, it might be inconvenient for you!

There are no carts at either end, whether free or paid. How are you going to push or pull everything in your 200+ meter walk, aber? 200 meters is half of an athletic oval!

So, runway Manila is best only for those who have trolley bags or less. Maybe that's the reason why one told me, Cebu Pacific cabin crews and airport staff often use it.

Let's make that clear... whether departing or arriving, if you have big (or many) bags that must be loaded on an airport's luggage cart, Runway Manila is not (yet) for you.

But for the light travelers, that bridge is convenient. So, remember these landmarks:
St. Therese Church, McDonald's, Belmont Hotel
It's at the back of Belmont Hotel (exit via Cafe Belmont); beside McDonald's (the old branch in this area, not the one at Holiday Inn) which is near the St. Thérèse Church.

Note that if you are looking from Andrews Ave., the church is covered (fronted) by a gas station (Newport Total). Yet if you're still lost, just look up. Runway Manila is the only thing that crosses above those expressways from Resorts World to Terminal 3!

Onwards, I noticed even my fellow bus passengers were busy looking left and right!
inside the shuttle bus where passengers were busy looking left and right
O ha? Di lang pala ako ang aligagang 'lingon-ng-lingon left-&-right'! Me video pa sila!

Why not?! Eh, many things are new - even for me who has been here many times!
our bus passing by a big mixed-use high-rise where Savoy Hotel is
Not just hotels but even condominiums and mixed-use high-rise buildings sprouted.

Villamor Airbase (Nichols) Gate

This is the 'exit' area from the Terminal 3 complex, out to Tramo, Baclaran, etc.
collage of pictures of Brgy. 183 Houses, Brgy. Hall and Newport City buildings
I cannot pinpoint exactly where, but somewhere in this area was the original gate of "Nichols" (Villamor Airbase) where jeeps to Baclaran or Pasay Rotunda depart from.

Maybe it was here too! I remember it was chaotic like a transport terminal of sorts!
Pasay City Brgy 183 Police Station
The numerous double-parked, illegally-parked, whatever-parked jeeps, are now gone.

I wondered what happened here, where have they gone?!

One thing is sure, this place now looks orderly than it was in the 1980s or even 90s!
houses along narrow streets in Maricaban Pasay
7 Eleven corner store at Higgins St. Pasay City
Yes, no exaggeration. That, is already way orderly as it is now, compared to its past!

In fact, in those years (80s to 90s) the place was commonly referred to as 'iskwater' (squatters' area). Streets were narrow, most houses were tiny and of light materials.

One amazing thing I remember of that area though is: when traffic was a stand-still (as it often was) at Tramo (Aurora Blvd.), this was the wise commuter's alternative.

You could ride pedicabs from those corners (in the photos above). They criss-cross along those narrow streets fast. In no time, you would already be at EDSA Malibay!

I tried it once, though it was the reverse trip. When that flyover near Winston Lodge (EDSA cor. Tramo) was being constructed, traffic was too heavy. I was running late for a flight. A friend guided me (by phone), I got into a padyak, and reached T3 fast!

PAL Hangars and Offices at Nichols

Then there are the PAL Buildings, left or right of this road. Here's a sample: Gate 3.
entrance gate of PAL Gate 3
That's on the right side of the road, so it can't be a hangar. Planes (the tiny ones) are on the left side, Gate 2. Ayii, the bus was running fast, I wasn't able to take a picture!

Or, if the bus was not running fast, I must have been too slow with my reflexes. Nag-nostalgia na kasi hehehe! Oh well, those were the days. As a child, it was passing by this area where I started watching airplanes, which, I preferred over Nayong Pilipino!

At PAL Gate 2, there are always planes there. It is the domain of PAL Express. Many of their little planes, plus the tiny trainer planes are kept there. I love watching them.

Haruy! I saw them in my peripheral views, but I failed to shoot pics of PAL areas left or right. Wala lang, just for the memories! I think this was (still is?) PAL's "epicenter".

What did I miss? Ah many things. Like there's what padyak drivers call PAL Hospital (officially PAL Medical Center). There is also a PAL Sports Center, oh yes they have!

Oist, I've been in their sports center many times before. There is basketball, football (without a field heheh), tennis, volleyball, taekwondo, etc., most especially the gym!

Oh my gulay! It's always like a beauty pageant in their gym! Kagaganda't kakikisig e!

Then there is PAL Gate 1 on the left side - which was always an interesting sight to see - at least in the 90s. I don't know if that still is where they hire people nowadays.

There was always a line of good-looking people in that gate!

And oh I also remember now, near Gate 1 is where PAL pilots would depart from, on the way to their planes, ferried by PAL's service vehicles that looked like 'ford fierras'!

Those vehicles pass airside, meaning along the sides of the runways. Not only safe and secure, they never have to encounter traffic jams when about to fly their planes!

Come to think of it, I know so much 'no? A result of being friends w/ many of them!

Eto na, when I got to click again, ay, we were already past the Soriano Aviation gate.
corner of Andrews Avenue and Tramo St.
I still clicked at least that one shot anyway, if only to remind me, there still are those beggars at that corner. Can you see the girl in red? She's very young, maybe 9 or so.

Yet she is carrying a baby around (who is likely her sibling) to serve as 'props'. When the stop light turns red, she goes knocking on car windows begging for cash - ONLY.

Yeah, choosy na ang mga yan nowadays. They frown if you give them food!

The presence of that girl indicated another thing to me, by the way. It showed to me that traffic flow is still slow in this T-intersection. Otherwise she won't dare beg here!

That's the corner of Andrews Ave. (aka Nichols Road) and Tramo (aka Aurora Blvd.). Aw, in case you are one of them, there are many people who don't know that Tramo (that street connecting this corner to EDSA), is actually named Aurora Boulevard!

In my Metro Manila life of yesteryears, I have come to know that there are 3 Aurora Boulevards in the metropolis. There may be more, but I only know 3 of them, so far!

Do you know all of them?

LRTA / Light Rail Manila Depot

Anyway, when the traffic light went green, our driver made a speedy go for it! But I was already alert this time hehe! I caught a snap of the old and original LRT Depot.
entrance gate of LRTA train depot
That was where the LRT bagon (train coaches) rest for the night! Until now, I guess.

The insides of that depot can be seen from aboard commuter buses, since they are taller. But not this time, from a free shuttle bus. Modern airport buses aren't so tall.

But these days, you can glance at it when cruising, up at the new NAIA Expressway. Just a glance, especially if you're driving. As if I said di mo naman talaga matititigan!

In fact, the last time I had a longer look at it was years ago while I was on a tour bus (they're all tall, right?) shuttling us from Manila Mandarin, where PAL billeted us, the whole plane-load due to an 8-hour delay. Eh matrapik dyan noon. So ayun nasilip ko!

In there, is where they repair or clean the railcars.

Wouldn't it be nice to roam in there, and see up close how they bathe and hospitalize the sick trains?! Aw, since that depot existed, to be in there had always been a wish.

It still is. We don't anymore say "wish" but "bucket list"! Listado na yan. Matagal na!

Ah, I don't know if I'll ever get to see the inside of an LRT depot. It even has changed names. It now says Light Rail Manila Corporation. Before, their gate name/logo was LRTA (Light Rail Transit Authority). Whatever the name, I hope it stays to be a depot.

Sino ba kasi ang me kakilala o kapit dyan sa usapang tren na yan, ipasyal nyo naman ako sa loob! Wala lang. Airplanes and trains just fascinate me - since I was a brat!

Still buscketlisted anyway!

Nichols Road cor. Domestic Road cor. Airport Road cor BAC 1-11 Drive

And then we reached this corner. Just like Andrews Ave. (Nichols) - which is where I came from, up to this point - my memories of this area do not have a skyway yet.
intersection of Andrews Ave., BAC 1-11 St., Airport Road and Domestic Road under the NAIA-X flyover
To the right was a narrow dirt-road alley that's now a paved street called BAC 1-11. I saw some time ago that there's now a bridge in there, crossing the creek which was actually a river before, to a big (highly populated) district named Don Carlos Village.

Hah, in late 80s to early 90s, when I was still frequenting the Pasay-Parañaque area, I knew of that corner as another shorcutan, just like the one at Nichols I said above.

When traffic was heavy from this area to Baclaran proper, or to Tramo (the opposite direction), one could walk to that alley, cross the creek via planks, and ride pedicabs to the church, the Baclaran LRT Station, or even the EDSA MRT Station. It was quick!

Oh those were in the godforsaken days of Corazon and Fidel!

Hey, I got busy reading those signs (see photo above) and looking out if I could get a glimpse at "Bac 1-11 St.", such that I missed taking a pic of the roundabout to my left. This corner isn't anymore as busy, as it was before NAIA Expressway was built!

So on to Domestic Road my shuttle bus ambled!

Conrad's Grille

Yeah, it has been a long time since I last passed this way, but I still remember this:
conrad's grille facade along Domestic Road
Not that the restaurant was special to me, nor was it the best in anything. But, there were times in my life, where Conrad's was often my 'only-good-choice' (in this area).

It was ages ago, yet I do still remember. How long ago? Aheh, before the turn of this century! My favorite was "bagoong-rice" -if/when cooked dry as fried rice should be.

Oh hahaha, Nostalgia ini!

And I was even only looking at the right side of the road, because I was on the right side of the bus! Of course there are also notable sights and scenes on the left side.

Old School Ticket Offices

Yes, left side of Domestic Road going south. Such as? Ah ticket offices of Air Asia, PAL and Cebu Pacific, that many of us don't anymore need, right? It is easier online.

Hey come to think of it, I guess it has been many years now, since I last entered an airline ticket office for a ticket-related matter. Can't even recall when was "last time".

Minsan, I visit the PAL Tacloban ticket office para maki-aircon gad la udog! Shh, that is a seekreet! Syempre, damay na rin ang maritess dyan! Oh, now I miss Mana Glo...

Anyway, still at the left side of Domestic Road are cargo forwarding agencies, such as LBC. There's even a police station on that row of businesses leading to NAIA T4.

LinLu and Carmelino's

What I forgot to look-and-see was, if LinLu and/or Carmelino's are still there! Do/Did you know them? LinLu was a snack bar during the day, and a hip diner/pub at night.

With a sing-along machine until the wee hours of the morning, of course! They were popular with domestic travelers being just a few steps to the then Domestic Airport.

Popularity, brisk business, needed expansion, they opened Carmelino's (next door to LinLu) which was more of a real restaurant, similar in concept and style to Conrad's.

Wait. I think Carmelino's sprouted ahead of Conrad's. And I also think someone told me in those days that the owner/s are/were the same person or family. No wonder?!

Ah whatever hehe! But I should have looked to the left, to see if LinLu or Carmelino's still exist, because a friend told me some time ago that those are closing very soon.

Nothing vital anyway! Just looking at places for the sake of nostalgic reminiscence!

It was for the same reason that I got so absorbed looking at places on the right side of the bus, as it ambled northwards on Domestic Road. Like this one after Conrad's:
entrance and facade of PAL Data Center Building
Do you know what that place is? You can't detect identifying marks anywhere, right?

PAL Data Center Building

I have been in there many number of times in my younger years - both as a visitor of friends who worked there, and for official business when I started my "career thing"!

That building's appearance made me feel like I was in a Robert Ludlum story (I read all his books before they became movies)! Walang gadgets noon pocketbooks lang.

There was a good reason for the "non-identity" of that building. Until I saw these:
PAL ticket office with big signage at PAL Data Center Bldg.
PNB branch with big signage at PAL Data Center Bldg.
Both ticket office and bank list their addresses as PAL Data Center Bldg., Domestic Road, Pasay City. O eh di alams na di ba? That is (or was?) the PAL 'technology hub'.

A Data Center is a facility that houses computer systems, plus related components, like telecoms and storage systems. So it is/was the core of PAL computer systems.

In my past life, I learned that you would be a grand idiot announcing, or even merely indicating, where your data center is/was located. Maybe it's not anymore an issue?

But that, was the reason why there was no identifying mark on that building - for so long! It is/was a security protocol or a precaution, at least during my younger years.

The last thing any good company wants, is to have its 'lifeblood' easily identified by 'crooks', therefore compromised. Yet PAL did it, by putting a ticket office and bank!

Oh well, di ko na alam ngayon hehe. Maybe there are nowadays modern better ways of securing data centers! Plus, they are a big company, they (hopefully) know better!

Anyway, since it is publicly and clearly identified as PAL's Data Center Bldg., I should now be able to 'brag' that I knew there were 2 hi-tech and high-security offices there!

And I think I should stop saying anything further.

But if you insist hehe, there is (or was) the ISD or Information Systems Department. They were the reason why the place was called Data Center Building. That's enough!

Then there was the RCC or Reservations Control Center. Aw, that was a department that fascinated me when I saw it! The setup, the systems, the works were amazing!

I was young and inexperienced, and yes, I was amazed at their use of technology. It was my first time in a large room with computers and phones that looked like this:
sample picture of a call center circa 1980s
[That's not an actual pic. I just grabbed it from the web via google, yet very similar.]

Call centers were not yet common (or as many) in the country during that time and I didn't see agents wearing headsets. They only used the handsets of their landlines.

But we know that the whole reservation department of PAL has been outsourced to a supposedly more modern (syempre cheaper) company. So I doubt if its still there!

Let's move along!

NAIA Terminal 4 Vicinity

Onwards, still looking to the right of the bus, I saw this long-unfinished place again.
stairs to the pedestrian overpass in front of Terminal 4
Eyesore yes, and it has been like that for many years now. I wonder why a prime real estate, right across T4, is just left unfinished when it should already be earning well.

Maybe there's a legal impediment. Wag na nating pakialaman yan!

Salem Commercial Complex

Then there's Salem Complex, a merry mix of eateries, budget accommodations, etc.
facade of Salem Commercial Complex
facade of Salem Commercial Complex
I haven't been there perhaps since I never needed to. But seeing it sprout in the past years, it may be worth noting for budget concious travelers who need to be near T4.

Well, if you have heavy or bulky baggage, the about 300-meter-walk to T4 may not be very easy, since there is a 'stairs-only' pedestrian overpass that you'll need to climb!

But this is THE Philippines, I see J-Walkers everywhere! In that case be one of them!

Actually, there is a "no jaywalking" solution: once you are out of that Salem Complex (where T4 will be about 300 meters far to your left), walk heading right instead. Go!

Some 50 meters to the right (beyond Jollibee and Metrobank) there is a zebra walk (pedestrian crossing). Cross there! You just added about 100+ meters to your walk!

Meaning and origin of Jay Walking

Now, since I mentioned it, do you know why it is called "jaywalking"? It means you're crossing a road or street where it is not allowed by law; to avoid accidents and/or to ensure a smooth vehicle traffic flow. That means unlawful crossing of a street/road!

It comes from old America, where "jay" was colloquially used, to mean "greenhorn", "inexperienced" or "novice". Kumbaga sa'tin pa, "bagets" na "tanga", "jologs" hahaha!

First they used "jay" as in "jay drivers" - horse riders and later car drivers who did not observe traffic rules. Later it was also used like in "jay walker" - pedestrian violators.

"Jay driver" or "jay-driver" later stopped being used. While "jay walker" or "jay-walker" continued to be used - even evolving to shortened "jaywalker", "j-walker" or "jwalker".

Ganun, as in like that!

Cebu Pacific Recruitment Training and Development Center

Still right side of Domestic Road is Cebu Pacific's Training & Development Center.
building dacade of Cebu Pacific Recruitment, Training and Development Center
Not that it is anything to us travelers, unless you're applying for a job with them! But there's an accommodation facility called Siayan Traveller's Inn back of that building.

Worth noting too, for those who drive: the sidestreet to that inn, goes all the way to 'Electrical Road' - which might be an option if Domestic Road gets congested again.

Manila Domestic Airport Building 2

Ohh, memories again!
Left of the road, across that training center all the way to opposite Salem Complex is now Cebu Pacific maintenance offices, This was the old Domestic Airport Bldg. 2.
Cebu Pacific Buildings
I still remember, in those olden days, PAL Airbus flights to Cebu and Davao operated from that old building - which had squeaky noisy wooden floors on its second floor!

But there was a PAL ticket office, even a Mabuhay Lounge up there. Soon, Grand Air and Cebu Pacific had ticket offices, plus their Airbus flights also used that building.

I did wonder during that time, why only flights from that old building stopped, when T2 was finished. Everyone thought all of the Old Domestic Airport was to be closed.

Manila Domestic Airport Was Never Closed

Well that was the announcement and hype-up press releases!

What happened instead was: only all PAL flights were transferred to T2, whereby it became 'kind-of' a dedicated "PAL Airport" for its international and domestic flights.

Even when T3 was finished, it was also common knowledge (as announced in press releases) that the old domestic airport was closing, its flights were to operate at T3.

Yet it never happened. Manila Domestic Airport instead became T4!

Ah, I still wonder how everything got tangled then. When T3 was finished, I heard on the news, that no airline was willing to use it, due to high government fees imposed!

Hmm, it would be nice to know the real stories & histories of those 4 airports, 'no?

LTO Pasay City

Anyway, back to my shuttle bus ride from RWM (at kung saan-saan kasi napupunta ang usapan eh)! Back to the right side of Domestic Road where we were, goin to T2.
parts of LTO Pasay City as seen from domestic road
That is part of the SMVIC or South Motor Vehicle Inspection Center of LTO Pasay.

An interesting (or puzzling) fact about that compound is: it is the only facility within the Domestic Road stretch, that has totally nothing to do with airline transportation!

When friends and I were discussing years ago, our common question was bakit sila nakikisiksik dito eh siksikan na nga ang Pasay City! Everything here is about air travel!

Yep, come to thnk of it, everything around here is related to air transport, in one way or another! Maybe this was the only available (or remaining) space owned by DOTr!

I'm not sure how it is now, but in my younger days, that LTO area added to the heavy congestion of vehicles on Domestic Road, because it has many offices in there, like a Licensing Center and PUV Registration Center, where vehicles must be presented.

Fine that this time traffic wasn't heavy. Maybe NAIA-X helps to decongest this road!

Central Mail Exchange Center (CMEC) or Mail Distribution Center (MDC)

Then we passed by PhilPost's Central Mail Exchange Center (CMEC)....
facade of central mail exchange center building
Most of their employees call it MDC for Mail Distribution Center. I've been in there a number of times! It's a wide sorting area with conveyor belts and mail trucks inside!

It is amazing to watch the activities inside that facility. It should be a good place to visit for children (even for adults actually), on an educational or familiarization tour.

It is like a factory floor, but what you see are mounds of letter envelopes and boxed parcels being sorted by zip code, then loaded unto blue-and-white little mail trucks.

In the 90s when most of my visits happened, there were tons of letters and parcels that went via post offices, and those were sorted in there. I guess it's still the same.

Many of those were bank and credit card statements, telco statements, magazine subscriptions and the many useless advertising mails that we perennially receive in our homes. The sorting area for those is what I call interesting. I say that because...

There's an infamous section of the CMEC, where people go to claim their packages and parcels, especially those from abroad. THE dreaded 'kotongan' area. Customs!

Well I've been there only once (circa 1997) when I went with an uncle to claim a box sent to him by his head office in Japan. I did not watch his step-by-step moves, but I knew he didn't like the customs lady! He didn't say much, yet his face showed "fury"!

He said something like "nag-papasaring, nag-paparinig na bigyan ng lagay", but he did not, since the contents of his box (product samples and docs) weren't even taxable.

Hahaha! I asked why his office sent papers via postal service, not the usual DHL or UPS. Uncle said "they're used to the integrity & efficiency of postal services in Japan".

Aray ko naman! Nakakahiya ang ating Inang Bayan!

Oh, I didn't talk any further lest it prolong the annoyance of my uncle. But even then, I knew some things, I wanted to say "she is not PhilPost, she is Bureau of Customs".

Haay Pilipinas. Hopefully one day, mawala na ang mga ganyan. Okay, let's proceed!

Park 'N Fly

Then my bus reached the end of Domestic Road where it connects with MIA Road.
vacant lot next to Park 'N Fly building
corner building at the PTT gas station
PTT gas station and the ground level intersection of Domestic Road and MIA Road
That corner is noted among frequent travelers, because of Park 'N Fly, and that gas station that has changed its name a number of times yet still remains a gas station!

In fact, some jeep and bus drivers even still call it Caltex up to now!

Hey I had once 'indirectly' used Park 'N fly. Indirectly, as I just went with a friend who used the service! But I noted how it's done. It is convenient if you live far from NAIA.

Important note if you're using Park 'N Fly: add a little more time for you to reach the airport's departure area. Maybe 15 to 30 minutes earlier than usual should be fine - as you'll need time to transact with Park 'N Fly (fill forms), and wait for their shuttle.

The process: you drive up the parking building at that gas station, park your vehicle, go to their front desk, fill out some papers, pay now or later, give your keys to them, then ride their free shuttle to your designated airport (NAIA 1, 2, 3 or 4). That easy!

On your return: just call their number; a shuttle will pick you up; present your parking ticket; pay excess time charges if any; get your key and go home. That convenient!

Oops wait! I said I only got to experience them once and it was 19-kupongkupong pa! I hear you may now book online and they now have 2 buildings so I guess it's faster!

Now now... etong si gobyerno mo, ayaw paawat ayaw patalo di alam kung business ba sila o serbisyo. Naglagay na rin ng overnight or long term parking at all airports.

But are they safer and/or better? Di ko pa alam! I heard they're a bit cheaper, but you park at an open lot (only T3 has a parking building) accessible to just about anyone!

There's an on-going debate online as to which one is better to use: Park 'N fly or the airport's long term parking? Ah, go read and sort things over for your own royal self.

The talk is two-pronged: safety and economy! Listening to some friends, I observed the debate even becomes a "man versus woman" issue hahaha! Priorities do differ.

The ladies say: "ay, they will get my car keys, so they will have access to everything in my car? Oy, they may even use it to go around town, tapos mas mahal pa ang bayad"!

The gentlemen say "sus, kesa naman open-to-anybody ang parking lot (sa airport) na mananakaw ang buong kotse ko just like that! Tapos ano, will NAIA [MIAA] be liable"?

Whatever, basta ako Grab lang heheh! I do like the point that: if a car is lost at those NAIA parking lots, the government (MIAA) is harder to sue, if at all you can anyway!

So, weigh things over if you want to avail of those long-term parking conveniences!

Is It NAIA Road or MIA Road?

Still at the intersection of Domestic Road and MIA Road, and I shot these pictures:
vehicles turning right at the ground level intersection of Domestic Road and MIA Road
MMDA traffic enforcer at the ground level intersection of Domestic Road and MIA Road
vehicles turning left from MIA Road to Domestic Road
I was hoping to capture a street name, but it looks like there is none in this vicinity.

I wanted to say anyway, that whatever name is used by MMDA or DPWH, this street that we were turning left into, is known as MIA Road to most bus, jeep, taxi drivers.

Rarely would anyone say NAIA Road. It confuses them - as there are 4 NAIAs now!

Trivia: years ago, at a party, I was in a casual (actually fun) conversation with "Mang Peewee" (Pasay ex-mayor). He said he never ever heard of MIA Road being officially renamed to NAIA Road. Da! Mang Peewee, a lawyer, was a true blue Pasay resident.

I think he had a house (or relatives) at Concorde Village, the gate of which is at MIA Road. So, unless he was just joking, he should have known what he was telling me!

I was not sure if he was joking, as everytime we talked, puro kabulastugan ang topic namin! He said 'just because an airport was renamed does not mean the roads should also be renamed without proper legislation and certification'. Tama nga naman, di ba?

He was fun to talk with. I think he died 2016. Mang Peewee bangon! Clarify these!

Oist, I first met him when he was an ex-Vice Mayor in the late 80s and early 90s. But I did not know he became vice mayor again and even went on to be mayor for many terms. I only learned of his credentials from the news, when he died. Quite modest.

Ah the wonderful people I meet during my travels, ano?!

Six Eleven

So, the bus was on MIA Road. I was familiar with that corner years ago. Six Eleven.
parked vehicles at 6 Eleven, Pildera
Why Six Eleven? [at times written as 6/11, 6-11 or 6 Eleven] Ah eh.., for the 11 years that I've been passing by that corner almost on a daily basis, I didn't really hear clear reasons why it was/is named so hahah! Well, I've seen businesses using that name!

Oh there's even one in the picture! It says 6.11 Tapsilogan. I know there is a sari-sari store, a hardware, a barber shop, and I think there was even a funeraria of years ago!

Alam na alam ba?!

Just familiar, not well-versed about the place. Familiar, as in I knew it was a dreaded corner during the rainy season. I say "was", for I haven't heard it being flooded lately.

You see that MMDA traffic police standing on that corner? Ayay, in the '80s and '90s, even the not-so-heavy rains would've submerged him in flood water up to his chest!

Consistency was the key in those times. Meaning, umulan lang buong umaga, baha na sa hapon hanggang gabi pa! Going to the airport required bigger (taller) vehicles!

That's what I remember most. Ah that Pildera corner, memories of a wicked past!

Pildera District, Pasay City

Wait, did I say Pildera? Oh yes that is the name of the area (district), including that 6 Eleven corner. I think Pildera (right side) has 2 or 3 barangays - all being "notorious"!
shuttle bus passing along Pildera District on MIA Road
I remember, in those days, di ko alam kung hanggang ngayon, tuwing me hahanapin na magnanakaw, snatcher, adik -and the likes- policemen would often scour Pildera!

Its boundaries start from the 6-11 corner above, all the way to that old casino along A Santos Ave. (Sucat Road) now being developed by SMDC across NAIA Terminal 1.

Especially this portion that the bus passes-by, Pildera in those days, was referred-to as generally a slum/squatters' area. Too many tiny, light-material, dikit-dikit houses!

I remember, when riding jeeps from Baclaran to BF Parañaque (Sucat), lalo na nung wala pa ang FX, drivers would remind us to hide valuables when passing by Pildera.

I had my share of that misfortune once. Na-holdup ang sinasakyan kong jeep. 7PM!

Ever since that holdapan, I have never forgotten Pildera! I can even still pinpoint the jeep/bus stops in that area: Caltex is that corner gas station (now ptt)', Six Eleven is the 'MIA Road corner Domestic Road'; and Pildera 1, the pics above and see below!
corner of MIA Road and Sucat Road at Pildera District
See that zebra line? In the past, some jeeps would stop there but others won't, since it was/is not allowed [road corner]. Ay, riders always argued with drivers! Pildera eh!

Mind you, that part with nice green bushes is a 'corner island' with a mini-park and a Mama Mary statue. So there's a road behind it. Wonder why jeeps don't pass there?

Yeah, as is common in Metro Manila, that part of the road, was made into a parking lot for cars, carts, rolling stores, barangay vehicle, fire truck, delivery vans, pedicabs.

Etcetera! Wheh, repair area pa nga ng kung anu-ano, at tambayan din ng water truck ng barangay! Yet, that short a road of maybe 100 meters has a name - Chapel Road!

Yes, there was a chapel in that area. It did not disappear. Instead, it is now a church as big as those you'll see in provincial towns! The more that jeeps won't pass there!

I know it's not all bad in that area though. I even had friends who were airline crews or ground staff that lived in there - all for the convenience of being near the airports.

And by the way, Ramon Ubusan and his famous folkloric group lived in there.

Hey look here, I took a pic of one of the Baclaran~MIA jeeps, while overtaking it.
a jeep plying tis route at corner of MIA Road and Sucat Road at Pildera District
I'm not sure as to where in Baclaran they now depart from. Until about 1997 (that is the last I can recall, sorry umalis na kami sa BF Paranaque that year), they ran from the end of Airport Road, near its corner with Quirino Ave., (Tambo), to NAIA 2 and 1.

PAL Inflight Center

Another memorable place... the PAL Inflight Center that I knew of in yesteryears!
entrance facade of PAL Inflight Center Building
In olden days (I don't know if that is still the case), that was where all of PAL's Cabin Crew would report to work at. They didn't/don't go direct to the airport. In there first.

Briefings were conducted there, before they depart on board PAL's vans or coasters, on the way to their respective flights at the airport. They return to it too upon arrival.

It's been about 2 decades, so I'm not sure now, if that's still their inflight center.

What's in an inflight center? Aw aside from airline offices (of their bosses), that was a training center for cabin crew. That said, syempre there were classrooms hehehe!

Oh I loved the mock-ups! I knew they started somewhere for PAL, but as a kid, I only got to actually see a cabin mock-up in that building - which I heard was transferred.

I think it is now over at their training center in Padre Faura (Manila). Well, wherever, those things are fun to watch when 'new hires' train inside the 'fake' aircraft cabins!

Let's go back to that Inflight Center Building in the picture above hehehe.

PAL Inflight Kitchen

The one thing I loved in there was the Inflight Kitchen! Originally also located at the other half (back) of that building, it even had its own big entrance at the other side.

What's an Inflight Kitchen? Ah where airline food is cooked!

From the 80s to 90s, PAL's Inflight Kitchen (Catering Services Department), whipped up inflight meals not only for PAL but for most of the other international airlines too!

Aside from the mouthwatering aromas (nakakagutom, to say the least!), it was also awe-inspiring to watch them do those airplane meals - factory-line-production style!

My favorite? There was a separate glass-walled section for chocolates and pralines and candies. The foreigners there (chefs?) gave me some. Oh heavenly yumminess!

Equally amazing to watch were the loading/unloading docks of that Inflight Kitchen.

No, not for the cabin crew hehe, but for catering trucks (at the back of that building) that brought airline meals (and amenities) to their respective aircraft being catered.

What's a Catering Truck? Ah eh... a delivery van on steroids haha! When traveling, it looks like the usual refrigerated food delivery van. But at planside, it is a wow thing!

It looks like these. Its whole body can be raised hydraulically to the floor level of the plane. Catering folks then just push (or pull) the service trolleys to assigned galleys.

Now imagine how tall those trucks have to be, in order to service A380 planes. Ayii, nauseously high! Oh, those trucks can also help in boarding stetcher-bound people.

Now I remember.., as a child, aside from model airplanes, I also had a catering truck toy! It was unique as it could be raised up or down. And it sported the 'livery' of PAL!

These days, you won't probably see a catering truck painted with the PAL logo. Yep, their entire catering department was made a separate company called Macro Asia!

That's the reason I'm not sure now, if in that building is still PAL's Inflight Kitchen.

Let's move along with my free shuttle ride from Resorts World to NAIA 2!

The Old and Original Nayong Pilipino

I looked left and saw the gate of what once was Nayong Pilipino. Ahhh!
entrance arch of the old Nayong Pilipino and Philippine Village Hotel
Memorable indeed. As children, me and my siblings unanimously preferred Nayong Pilipino over Manila Zoo, Luneta and Fiesta Carnival all combined! It was "the best"!

I still remember.., when you enter that gate, veer left as the entrance to "nayon" was there! We'd usually stay all day in there, as it had everything from food to rest areas.

Come to think of it, maybe Nayong Pilipino contributed in one way or another, to my insatiable desire to roam this country. It was there that I was first exposed to tourist attractions via their replicas, like Magellan's Cross, Mayon Volcano, Chocolate Hills!

I now reckon, it was also in there, where I got first exposed to what people now call "plane spotting"! As a kid, I marvelled at those adults going gaga to catch a photo of the noisy BAC 1-11 planes passing by, especially at takeoff! Yep, people not planes!

Oh my goodness, I can even write a book, just describing my memories of that area!

Philippine Village Hotel or PVH

When I was a grown young man, PVH was a hit. Yep, Philippine Village Hotel. Aw, if you were familiar with the place you'd know it is peeking from behind in that picture!

Now that I'm thinking about the place, I suddenly remembered that there were jeeps from Baclaran going only up to that gate (called PVH/Nayon) not all the way to MIA!

Also until about the 1990s, there was a hip piano bar at right (ahh I forgot its name), just a few feet behind that arch, on the grounds, by that parking lot, not in the hotel's building. I'll come back here to write it, in case I'm able to recall the name of the bar!

How could I have forgotten that bar's name, when that was where I started drinking socially as a young adult?! Ayayay, age must be taking its toll on my sensuous self!

Anyway, as if to prove that my memory isn't yet failing me, I do still remember Flying Machine (Disco), Saranggola (Coffee Shop), Kagetsu (Sushi Bar), Par Avion Lounge!

O ha?! Eto pa, the casino was called Casino Royale, and it was the first on land. But I can't remember the name of that big ballroom that can accommodate 800 people!

I think that was the first hotel in the country too, that had a real shopping center on the ground floor, where part of it even became Grand Air's airport operations center.

Okay let's move along lest I write the history of the country hahaha!

NAIA Terminal 2 Approach and Entry

So here we were as the bus veered left climbing the Terminal 2 departure ramp...
ascending via the T2 departure ramp overlooking MIA Road
That is still MIA Road down there. Where the taxi is (it should turn left in a few feet), goes to the T2 Arrival Area, while going straight (it turns right) is to the International Cargo Terminal and Terminal 1. I also know those areas, but let's discuss next time.

Up the ramp and turning left to the departure curbside of NAIA Terminal 2.
departure ramp approaching the curbside at T2
Things you see down there are some remote parking bays; and Runway 06 beyond.

And this is the domestic wing of T2 where I should get off, as I was going to CDO.
dmestic wing curbside of NAIA Terminal 2

Ooops! If you can read the signage, it says Philippine Airlines International (wing).
international wing curbside and entrance at NAIA Terminal 2

But I wasn't lost nor did I miss my bus stop. The ride terminates here anyway.
north edge of NAIA T2 where hotel shuttles stop
This T2 edge (international wing, leftmost if you're facing it) is the designated stop for hotel vehicles. And look at that last post. THAT's where I wanted to go this time!

NAIA Terminal 2 Smoking Areas

On the lower-right corner of this photo, see the trash bin topped by an ashtray?
north edge of NAIA T2 smoking area
Bisyo time! Because there's no more smoking area inside the building since Duterte said so! Even the glass-enclosed smoking chamber of Mabuhay Lounge was closed!

No issue. This open-air area is fine and better, 'wag lang umulan bumagyo hahaha! I know there's a similar bin at the other end, upon reaching domestic wing. But this is better. Away from the view of everyone coming up to this terminal and not crowded!

Hey, the nostalgia is not over! While smoking, I naturally had to look at that building. That is the left edge of PVH where the bigger suites with balconies were located. In my heyday, we often had one of those rooms to go home to, after partying all night!

And then I entered the departure area hahaha!

Summary? Ah, enough of the nostalgia! I was going to CDO, remember? Let's GO!

That's next.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment