Tandag to Bislig Adventure and Misadventure

This trip took me more than 6 hours instead of the usual 2.5 to 3 hours. But I'm not at all complaining! I would like to consider this 'experience' as a 'culture adventure'. When I say culture here, I don't mean the indigenous nor the makaluma nor the mala-peninsulares, conyo and pasosyal. Because they're all "cultures", right? What I mean is/was: I got to experience how the general public travel herearounds.

I knew, the easiest way from Tandag to Bislig is via the vans. Especially in the Visayas and Mindanao, V-Hires are the fastest and easiest way to move. But, for this trip, my Rule No. 1 was: No V-Hire Rides. Why? Because I can't properly see the outside (to my satisfaction) as V-Hires are too low compared to buses, and veeery fast! I don't allow that if it was my first time in the area, AND if I had a choice hehe!

My first time? Yes. I mean I have been to Bislig and Tandag many times during my younger years. But I flew unto them in each of those occasions. I also haven't travelled between these two cities, so, this was technically my first time commuting in the area. Thus, I called it a 'culture adventure'. Tedious ha?

Let's go and start where my land trip started, here, as said in the previous story, the new city hall..,
the new Tandag City Hall across the airport
That makes Tandag unique among all towns (aw, city na pala) in this country - their city hall being just across the parking lot of their airport. Far from city center. About 4kms! But isn't it 'the' fad nowadays?

I wonder now, what did they do with the old municipal hall near the church and the park?

Ah anyway, malilihis nanaman tayo.., the road from the airport to the city is good and wide..,
Airport Road, Tandag City, Surigao Del Sur
Just about 1km from the Airport/City Hall to the main highway called "Surigao-Davao Coastal Road".

And this is that intersection. Turn right to city proper or left to the "C Country" all the way to Surigao.
Airport Road cor Surigao-Davao Coastal Highway, Tandag City, Surigao Del Sur
"C Country" is just a "pet-name" I gave to this area with so many towns that start with the letter C. Did you know about them? Heard about CARCANMADCARLAN? Hard to pronounce, I just say "C Country"!

The highway passes by the edge of the runway. That should be Runway 21, since this is the east side.
edge of Runway 21, Tandag City, Surigao Del Sur
This part of the highway (and beach) should be nice to do "plane-spotting", but only 3X a week hehe!

Ah here is a nice-looking "building" (white roof) that we do not have to ask the name of, right?
In this country, it is called a "sports-something" in varied wordage like complex, arena, center, stadium, and so on. But, is cock-fighting really a sport? The POC, PSC, DepEd, CHED and even PAGCOR should clarify this. I haven't heard from school nor have I read from books that letting roosters kill each other by way of very sharp blades tied to their legs was ever called a "sport". Is it, really? Barbaric sugal yan!

My trike was fast, but I was still able to click this shot. I needed this. That is Villa Maria Luisa..,
Villa Maria Luisa, Tandag City, Surigao Del Sur
It is a hotel, resort, event place or something like that. And I am supposed to meet some lovely people on my way back. Thus, having seen it here and now, I won't need to look for it come that meeting day!

Hey I saw something worth pondering about! That mirror on my tricycle, what is it called? A rear-view or a side-mirror? Notice how it is placed.., outside-front and to the right of the driver (left of passenger cab). Now think.., what purpose does it serve? What is it mirroring anyway? Note: all trikes have that!

Anyway.., here I was crossing the Tandag River via the Dawis Bridge entering the center of town..,
Dawis Bridge, Tandag City, Surigao Del Sur
Make that the "real" or "original" center of town (oops city na pala)! For me who was last here some 3 decades ago, I can tell, the 'urbanized' portion of this town (aw city) has grown so wide. In those days, crossing this bridge was going to hinter parts of town - like the airport was already way too far hehe!

But look at where I came from (all the pictures above). Did it look like I came from the hinterlands? No way, di ba? In fact, just recall where is their city hall (now). Hmm, Tandag has grown big and wide. And I think the right term should be "Tandag is growing"! I think "that's good" but my heart says "no, don't"!

Somehow, I feel like I loved the old sleepy town of Tandag in those yesteryears. Nag-nostalgia haha!

After the bridge, I took a pic of this corner that made so many things race through my amused brain..,
One picture, so many happy intriguing thoughts! Start with the tricycle mirrors! Haha, see more below!
This is Brgy. Dagocdoc. Funny name but okay lang, di ba? Below the name, you can see the mirror of a tricycle that we discussed above. As I said, they all have that mirror! Just like the Ceres buses! Kaaliw!

Now now.., the blue arrow points to a stack of firewood being sun-dried and likely for sale. What is so amazing to me is: why that pile is on the highway (not even the sidewalk) where big and fast vehicles constantly zoom-by, creating enough wind and vibration. Won't the stack topple? Well, apparently not!

Lastly, the red arrow points to a sign that says "feet off". Eh that's exactly where you should step when climbing in or getting off, di ba? Mga binuang.., makalingaw! By the way, nice ang high-heels ni ate o!

My tricycle now cruising by the Tandag Boulevard intersection (I haven't been there yet, bago yan)..,
Y-Intersection, Tandag Boulevard and Surigao-Davao Coastal Road, Tandag City, Surigao Del Sur
But nice to see the big wide road dominated by uniformly colored, nice-looking trikes. Mura'g abroad!

We turned right at this corner.., since the Balilahan Bus Terminal is somewhere far to the right..,
Rotary Club Marker, Tandag City, Surigao Del Sur
I know that is the road to Bislig.., but.., I did not have the luxury of a private vehicle this time hehehe!

Here here.., and there it is! Inside.., that's the bus terminal. Nice clean and orderly-looking compound!
Balilahan Bus & Jeepney Terminal, Tandag City, Surigao Del Sur

Whohoa! My heart jumped in glee at the sight of that roof. The "Balilahan Bus & Jeepney Terminal"!
Balilahan Bus & Jeepney Terminal, Tandag City, Surigao Del Sur
Happy to see this is a "Ceres country" too! Those are Bachelor buses, but I know, they're all Vallacar! I don't mean I like "kaskasero" drivers. But in Cebu, Negros and Panay, they are my reliable bus network.

No aircon bus this time.., and the next departing bus was going elsewhere.., not Bislig. Awk! Kulba!
inside a waiting bus at Balilahan Bus & Jeepney Terminal, Tandag City, Surigao Del Sur
But conductor said I could ride this bus until Barobo.., then wait for a bus there going to Bislig. Game! I hopped on! So there I was on the last row of a non-aircon bus goin to somewhere I didn't know. Duu!

But let's discuss this! Why did I take this non-airconditioned bus (called 'ordinary class') when I did not even really know, to which kabihasnan on earth it was even going? Wala lang hahaha! As in.., trip lang!

To be honest, these are the exciting challenging makabuang few times during my travels where I need to summon the best part of what sanity remains in my small pea of a brain hehehe! In this situation, I had to think about options and fallbacks - quickly! Oh ha?! Wasn't that challenging? Keri lang hahaha!

Here was my trend of thought...1) it was already 1:50PM, the aircon bus coming from Surigao may be too late, if at all - and it's not even going to Bislig but Tagum and Davao. So, that ride would only be to this intersection called Barobo. 2) Other buses were expected to pass by Barobo coming from Butuan or other places going to Bislig - that meant I had more chances of catching a bus to Bislig from there!

So I was on with this ordinary bus to Barobo. And don't I miss that place or else I'd reach wherever!
Balilahan Bus & Jeepney Terminal, Tandag City, Surigao Del Sur
And this was the last I remember about Tandag hahaha! Sleepy body prevailed over the excited mind.

When I woke up (I'm sure I snored loudly hehe) I saw this: the Aras-asan Public Terminal in Cagwait!
Cagwait Overland Transport Terminal aka Aras-asan Public Terminal in Cagwait, Surigao Del Sur
I checked the time, I slept for exactly 1 hour. My map said I was already (only) about 30km away from Tandag. And a good part of me was regretful I must have missed the scenes from that 30 kilometers!

Well, what can I do, sleep is an ally not an enemy, right? Another 20mins, the bus stopped here..,
Marihatag Transport Terminal, Surigao Del Sur
BRB (yes, toilet break hehe), snack break, yosi break.., almost all passengers went down to stretch. I stared some bit at that big old wooden house. It must have been beautiful in its heyday. Still is, right?

Where was I anyway? There was no one to ask. Fellow passengers were off the bus. But I saw this..,
Marihatag Transport Terminal, Surigao Del Sur
I'm not (yet) familiar with this place. But I do recall, one of you my dear readers told me skimboarding and surfing also thrive in this town. Plus, there is a nearby white sandy islet (Omangon?). Okay, listed!

Ah, most passengers were "down and out" for their snack break. It was 3:11PM in the first place..,
Bachelor Bus at Marihatag Transport Terminal, Surigao Del Sur
I followed the "trend" hehe, and I saw this reminder by the bus door. No wonder everyone got off. Dah!

On with the wonderful ride.., and at 3:30PM my bus reached a terminal across this beautiful park..,
San Agustin, Surigao Del Sur

No need to ask. I knew my bus was in the middle of a municipal park. Beautiful everywhere I looked!
San Agustin, Surigao Del Sur

A public transportation terminal in the middle of a town's lovely park by the sea. Wow! Sana all!
San Agustin, Surigao Del Sur Bus Terminal

Look, they're serious about this transport terminal. Markings are not just painted, they're engraved!
San Agustin, Surigao Del Sur Bust Terminal

Who says anyway, that a transport terminal has to be relegated to some godforsaken outskirts?
Municipal Hall Compound, San Agustin, Surigao Del Sur

Eto.., not just in a public park, but also across the equally park-like local government compound. Yes!
Municipal Hall compound, San Agustin, Surigao Del Sur

That's the town's munisipyo. The very seat of government.., in a park - with a transport terminal!
Municipal Hall, San Agustin, Surigao Del Sur

Not just a well-manicured park of greeneries.., also by the side is a playground and sports grounds!
Municipal Hall, San Agustin, Surigao Del Sur
Look at that photo closely. It's not that simple! On the right edge, by the grass, is part of a slide. So the kids are not left out. They have their playground! Left edge, behind the umpire's chair.., that is a stage!

San Agustin, Surigao Del Sur. Impressively worth emulating! They don't only provide for the wellbeing needs of their people in one open safe and beautiful place. They also effortlessly showcase it to even the mere passers-by, because they placed the transport terminal in the middle of it all! Ano, laban ka?!

Imagine, I took all those lovely pics in just 3 minutes, while on the bus, since we were just passing by!

Well, not to be outdone on the "panorama category".., I saw real green-and-gold outside of town!
Not to mention that San Agustin is also where that now-getting-famous Britania Islands are located!

Another 30 minutes into the ride, we reached this small topsy-turvy shack that is also a bus terminal..,
Bus Terminal, Lianga, Surigao Del Sur
As you can see, this is also a COMELEC poster area and a habal-habal garage while at the same time serving as Lianga Bus Terminal. Good that my bus moved on after just about a minute. Ugly place :)

After another 30 or 40 minutes, my bus reached Barobo. Yey! Time to get off and stretch my body!
Barobo, Surigao Del Sur Bus Terminal
That was not the bus I arrived-in, nor was it the bus I connected to, hehe! But I knew it also came from Tandag. How'd I know? I remembered its bus number. It was still sitting empty when we left Balilahan!

Mabilis sya. But happy to note it wasn't going to Bislig hehe. Otherwise I would have been laughing at my self for hastening to depart on one bus, only to connect to another that I did not take since it was scheduled to leave at a later time. I overheard those folks getting on, they were going to Bayugan City.

I chose right, and I still have the right to some self-respect, if there is such a thing hehe!

Now here's a photo that should be titled "reveal time"! Yes, revelation time. A time for me to divulge..,
Mangaoy-bound bus at Barobo, Surigao Del Sur Bus Terminal
Divulge what? Ah eh, well, time to reveal my gross stupidity hehehe! Believe you me, I am a seasoned traveler (according to me, myself and I), but things like these do happen from time to time, not always! And am telling you this here and now, so you don't commit the same boo-boo during your own travels!

So ano, what happened nga? Teka lang.., you're so atat.., I am gathering my poise pa! Hahaha!

Firstly, look at the above picture - the signboard - and here I go telling you my blunder (kapalpakan)! It just suddenly appeared (I mean that bus), as I 'boredly' walked here and there within this bus terminal, because I was waiting for my "connecting bus" to Bislig. I even got my phone and took that pic above.

I noted the time-stamp on that photo, it said 5:14PM, and I said to my self "ah syet it's almost nightfall, isn't a bus bound for Bislig coming yet pleaaaase"? Then that bus left. Simultaneously, I walked to the smoking area of this terminal. A Manang Tindera saw me walking and asked why I did not ride on that bus. I casually said "not going to Bislig". Her eyes grew wide and she shrieked "Mangagoy, mao na 'to"!

A bit stunned, para akong binuhusan ng malamig na tubig hehe, I asked "pag Mangagoy ba dadaan sa Bislig"? She was still hysterical asking her son and other people to try to stop the bus, then she glared at me as if in panic saying "that is, that is"! At that time her son was back to tell us the bus won't stop!

Da! Goodbye Philippines hahaha! I proceeded to the smoking area (just few steps away).., and I knew, as I smoked there thinking of options, the town was now abuzz talking about how I missed the bus to Mangagoy hahaha! Manang Tindera was now lecturing me about what and where is Mangagoy, while some people, including little kids, would pass by the area to look or peep at me! All willing to help me!

That meant I was technically stranded at Barobo, waiting (praying) for a next bus, if any, that would be enroute to Mangagoy/Bislig (whatever) hehehe! I felt like it was now the whole town waiting for a bus - for me! Folks would come say hi to me. They all told me about Mangagoy and Poblacion Bislig which was already told to me by Manang Tindera who was more worried for me than I was! Instant celebrity!
I took that ashtray photo at 5:38PM, and that "skylab" (yep, that's a.k.a habal-habal) at 5:49PM hehe.

Honestly, I did have some twinkling eyes over that "skylab"! Y'know, when you are stranded and bored, you start thinking about every possible Option A, Option B, Option C etcetera, right? Especially that the Manang Tindera said there may be no more buses as it was already end of day Miyerkulesanto. Hiyay!

I looked at my map and saw that from Barobo to Mangagoy is some 50+ kms. Parang SM Fairview to Alabang Town Center lang or Tacloban to Caluwayan or Bacolod to Cadiz or Cebu to Simala. *blink*!

But let me show you this next picture, then I will tell you what happened to me in Barobo..,
Hinatuan Bus/Jeepney Terminal, Hinatuan, Surigao Del Sur
As you can see, that is already the Hinatuan Bus/Jeepney Terminal. That pic I took upon our arrival at about 7:15PM. But it only takes some 30mins from Barobo to Hinatuan. That means, therefore, that I finally caught a bus in Barobo at about 6:45PM, going to Mangagoy, passing by this place - Hinatuan!

No pictures? Of that long awaited, exciting ride?

None because.., when this bus arrived, it looked like the whole Barobo terminal (and even the nearby establishments) had a commotion. Honestly, it startled me hahaha! Some were shouting, some were cheering and clapping that a bus for me has finally arrived! Manang Tindera and some others came to fetch me at the smoking corner, two kids already picked my backpack, almost dragging me to the bus!

Too many folks came out of wherever (it was already dark), the now empty bus terminal seem to have suddenly erupted into a mad fit of jubilation! I got a lot of well-wishes to have a good trip, some of the kids were jokingly saying "anyeong" to me. Some adults told the driver to let me off only at Mangagoy!

And so on and on and on.., when I got hold of my wits, the bus was already traversing the darkness of the highway. And on the bus, my fellow passengers kept throwing quick glances at me, as if asking or wondering "who is this damn Barobo celebrity that just boarded our bus", hahaha! Truly unforgettable!

Of course, the whole half-hour trip from Barobo to Hinatuan was in the darkness, so I did not take any photos. PLUS, I was all dumbfoundedly grinning, trying to fathom what just happened at Barobo! The folks I encountered there, young or old, were just all unbelievably friendly and sincerely caring. Grabe!

That's the reason the next picture I 'remembered' to take was that one above.., and these below..,
Hinatuan Bus/Jeepney Terminal, Hinatuan, Surigao Del Sur
That birthing facility of Hinatuan was the only one that provided a wash of camera-friendly light hehe. Oh, I had to take a photo of my bus number, to immortalize this remarkable experience in my memory!

Wait wait.., I was not "arrived" yet.., that was just Hinatuan!

Well and but.., the trip from Hinatuan to Mangagoy is probably just 30 minutes or less, because..,
Casa De Babano, Mangagoy, Bislig City, Surigao Del Sur
That is the first pic I took immediately after check-in at where I am now The time-stamp says 8:34PM!

Let us wrap this up anyway, and..,
First that I would like to tell you my fellow travelers is: I did not regret making that "long-cut" commute from Tandag to Bislig (okay, sige na nga.., Mangagoy!), because I saw, encountered and learned a lot!

And second.., my real laag (tour) itinerary starts tomorrow anyway - so what's the rush, diba?

That will be my next series of stories: Tinuy-an... Enchanted River... etc., etc..,

Abangan ang susunod na kabanata...!

Post a Comment

0 Comments