Hinayagan Cave, Bislig

The joyride returning to Mangagoy (Bislig) continued.., and as said in my previous story, these places I was visiting were not anymore part of my agreed itinerary which was originally just Tinuy-an Falls and Enchanted River. Driver offered to tour me to these 'extra' places out of his own volition since I was off early from the Enchanted River (it was just after lunch) and we were heading back to Casa De Babano.

Let's move on.., after Hinatuan town center, we went to Hinayagan Cave (back in Bislig territory).

I can readily say that this cave is 'technically' still out of the trodden (battered) path of tourists!
roadside signage - the way to Hinayagan Cave
Why do I say that? Well, if there were thousands of tourists at Tinuy-an Falls and the Enchanted River, here, I was the only guest! And I loved it, even if I'm not really that interested in dark places like caves!

There seems to be only one guide who can 'authoritatively' tell stories about Hinayagan Cave..,
walking path on the way to Hinayagan Cave
My driver sought him from his house a few meters from the little hut above. Other than their language in this area (Kamayo?), he speaks Bisaya (Cebuano), but, would prefer talking in English than Tagalog. But you'll have to listen well, as he has a natural speech handicap (he speaks nasally, parang ngongo).

It's a bit of walk (but easy) descending to a river (brook?), then to the cave entrance which is this..,
entrance/mouth of Hinayagan Cave, Bislig City
There was a lively flock of yellow butterflies fluttering by the water at the cave entrance. Enchanting!

Hinayagan would probably be a very good 'introduction to caves' for adults and children alike!
entrance/mouth of Hinayagan Cave, Bislig City
I say that because it has an easy entrance that is a river (just a brook I think); it is not too wide nor is it too long; it is generally flat inside; it is not too complex; but has everything you'd expect inside a cave!

Plus, it has a high enough "ceiling" and not too dark. Hinayagan means "lighted" in the first place!
entrance/mouth of Hinayagan Cave, Bislig City
So it is not that eerie to explore, since you can 'generally' see things without the need of a flashlight!

Look at the picture above again. That is my driver and the guide entering the cave. You see that streak of light in there? That is light coming from the "ceiling" above the cave's middle portion. Hayag lagi ba!

This is the ceiling portion by the entrance of the cave. And those are very young stalactites..,
stalactite at the entrance/mouth of Hinayagan Cave, Bislig City
But don't underestimate nature, I say young stalactites because their still very short compared to what we see in pictures. But if you know that their average growth rate is .13mm per year, you'll be amazed!

0.13mm? That's .0051 of an inch per year! These things are just young compared to others we see!
stalactite and stalagmites inside Hinayagan Cave, Bislig City
But they have been very slowly growing for like hundreds of years. Grabe 'no?! Same for stalagmites!

Hey I learned from a Samar cave expert, that "stalactites" are those that 'hang' from above (dropping), and "stalagmites" are those that seem to grow from the ground up. But they are all actually caused by the gradual dripping of water with minerals or other liquids and minerals from above the cave. Slowly!

Eto pa, eto pa! To remember them: stalactite has c meaning ceiling; stalagmite has g for ground! 😉

See that silvery part where the water runs in the pic above? It becomes this when I use camera flash!
cave floor of Hinayagan Cave, Bislig City
Manong guide told me, the mineral components of these "rocks" react differently to light sources, that is why they look different to our eyes under natural or artificial lights. Wha! Yan ang tour! Educational!

Here are more photos from inside this cave..,

I can't recall what he said was/is in there.., but I guess I was not interested hehehe. Duu!
a dark chamber inside Hinayagan Cave, Bislig City

Ah this one he said is where they get their drinking water, that's why he brought a jug (2nd pic above)
fresh water source inside a chamber of Hinayagan Cave, Bislig City

View if you look up in the middle of the cave! That's where the "hayag" (light, liwanag) comes from!
'entrance from above'. a collapsed ceiling of Hinayagan Cave, Bislig City
If you were up there, you would be on top of a hill. And looking down to this dark hollow where I stood, you would naturally think you were beside a collapsed sinkhole, for indeed it is. Yes, its a real sinkhole!

But, since we are now inside, and looking up.., the technical view/term is.., we are in a cave looking up to its collapsed ceiling! Isn't that nice? One natural fact.., many names - depending on where you are!

And this is the view if, from the middle of the cave, you look towards the end. Let's describe it..,
view of the smaller other end of Hinayagan Cave, Bislig City
A: The other end of the cave (opposite from where we entered). That "light at the end of the tunnel" is a "mouth" where this river passes thru - from a farm, at the base of a hill, which is the top of this cave!

B: That's direct sunlight from above reflected by a shiny rock surface inside the cave.

C: The brightness (illumination, liwanag, hayag) inside the cave comes also from above, which is the whole created by the collapsed ceiling of the cave making way for sunlight/daylight to shine through!

O ha? A nice natural 'wonder' that's fun to study, di ba? You can even complicate this with - "so where is the entrance to the cave"? Aber? If you ask me, there are three - both ends and above hehehe! Aliw!

Okay okay.., time to go!

So, there were my driver and Mr. Guide making their way to the entrance where we came from..,
Why did my camera angle come from a higher elevation? Ah, I clambered up the collapsed sinkhole!

This is the cave entrance where we entered from...
entrance/mouth of Hinayagan Cave, Bislig City

At some angles, it actually looks fantastic a view from inside looking out..,
entrance/mouth of Hinayagan Cave, Bislig City

Also from inside, this entrance actually looks enormous compared to the 3rd or 4th pic above.
entrance/mouth of Hinayagan Cave, Bislig City

Alright, we were done and out of Hinayagan Cave!

I shot video clips and will place them somewhere here soon, together with some of the pics above!


What can I say? This was not part of my itinerary. I have never heard about this cave before I came.., Yet, it looked like I enjoyed this visit, more than I enjoyed Tinuy-an Falls or Enchanted River! Discovery!

More notes:
My driver told me that Hinayagan was not something that LGU Bislig was/is promoting. It only started with them habal-habal drivers who started bringing visitors (if they like) to see this cave. Until now, it's not something that Bislig will go crazy promoting for visitors to peep at. But, I liked this cave anyway!

Hinayagan has no entrance fee nor does it have any set rates. With that said, be aware that the place is undeveloped - meaning the path is thick with grass, not concrete, no signage, no trash bin (so don't throw anything) - and no improvement whatsoever at the cave. It is bare nature. Reason why I like it!

Just give what you think is enough to the guide. Did you hear on the video? He is Arnold Deloso, he is not young and is even a PWD, I think! Listening to him, I felt he is a learned man (who walks barefoot). When he speaks, even with that physical handicap (ngongo), I could sense a demeanor of eloquence!

Let's go elsewhere? Okay, that's next!

Post a Comment

0 Comments