Out of Kalanggaman

If you don't have the time, or if you don't want to spend all day at Kalanggaman Island, read the important lessons below. It is not after all easy to return just anytime you want.

Depending on your circumstances, going to the island, "pala", yes I realized, means, you have to make sure you plan to enjoy (in whatever way you want) the whole day, or you could become a 'prisoner' on/of the island for that whole day - if you don't have P3,000!

My story continues from the previous post...
Before 10AM, I was out of the sandbar and proceeded to the boat docking area, to take a ride back to mainland Palompon. OMG! No boat seemed to be leaving anytime soon!

I approached a man who looked like an eco-tourism staff (I wish they all wear uniforms, so it would not be hard spotting who is what, especially when help is needed). Good I guessed well, though I didn't recognize if he was a lifeguard or "in-charge" here or both!

I told him I wanted to go back to Palompon, and asked him which boat was leaving next. His startled reply was "bakit sir, anong nangyari"? As if he was ready to cry with me if I told him my neighbor's dog died just now (sana) hehehe! At least he showed concern!

I said I just wanted to already go back since I am done looking around the island. And he asked something like "so you did not like it?", I said I actually love the island, but I just needed to be back in Tacloban for a 4PM appointment". He paused deep in thought.

Eto na...
After that brief pause (I think nag-analyze pa sya hehe), he told me that passengers are supposed to go back to mainland on that boat they came in with. When I asked, what time would my boat be going back (I pointed to it), he said "unya pa sa hapon". Nanay ko!

I asked if there was any way I could cross back to Palompon now. He replied to the tune of "okay if there's a boat going and willing to take you". Otherwise daw, I would have to arrange for a 'special trip' that costs P3,000. Lunok, ngatog, kaba hahaha! As in Tres Mil?!

I sat on the sand silent, thinking of alternatives on what best to do... I didn't know how I looked-like in that position... maybe nakaka-awa? Because, not in a long while, the manong seemed to have had pity on me and said something like "let's see if we can talk to that boat over there, I think they are going back to Palompon in a while'. Hmm...

He was not even done talking to them, my heart was already jumping in glee!

And that is what actually exactly happened! The manong asked if they were already going back, and if they could please take me with them because "naa ra emergency"!

I just smiled, but deep inside me I was already shouting in jubilation hahaha! Ang puso ko nagtatatalon - isama mo na pati baga, atay, apdo, bituka at balun-balunan hahaha!

I did ask the manong how much should I pay "to" those boatmen. His reply was "wala, nibayad na man ka kagina"! He even said he will just inform my original boat that they will have one less passenger later in the afternoon, since I rode on this one at 9:50AM!

The boat left, with 3 crewmen, plus, me myself and I! Yeahoo!
panoramic view Kalanggaman Island Palompon
And that is how the island looked like as we pushed back at 09:52AM. Nice, di ba?

Hey, I even got a video of this departure. I'll put it in here when its done processing!
Bitin ba? Sorry, that was just as long as my mood could muster hehe



Now let's discuss my dear readers...

The return trip is not made very clear by the eco-tourism office at departure - whether during purchase of tickets (na walang resibo!) or during the briefing before departure.

They just assume all you passengers are "all" going the usual "picnic" on the island where you go in the morning, have fun and frolic the whole day, and come back at sundown.

Their mentality (as of now anyway) is that all of us who go to Kalanggaman are "just" from Palompon. Proof? The briefing video where the girl said "taga-Palompon ra man tanan 'no?" but did not even wait for a reply, and proceeded with her spiel in bisaya!

When I looked around, murag 5 ra man mi kamao mag-bisaya! Others were obviously from far away places. There was even a foreigner which was why she was requested by a woman to say things in English - and her reply was "ma-nose-bleed na pud ko ani"!

Anyway, this is not as if you commuted via a Ceres bus, and every 20 minutes there'll be another bus you can hail, going any direction! I actually thought ganun yun hehe!

Thus, it should be made clear by the eco-tourism office of Palompon (although I am helping them make it clear now, via this blog), THAT, if you are not hiring the boat on your own (whether as individual or group), theretofore you are riding with other people in one big boat (capacity 30 pax), you are assumed by the eco-tourism office and the boatmen, that you are coming back to mainland at sundown. This should be announced.

"Assumed", is a very dangerous word for many of us who live hectic lives, right?!

Their transport procedure (options) is still such a "crude" method in these our modern times! 2015 na ngayon, the Palompon government should think of providing better and more flexible ways of crossing to and coming back from Kalanggaman Island. Because, the modern tourist does not have the whole day just for the island - especially if better accommodations are still non-existent whether in Kalanggaman or the poblacion itself.

Anyway, the boat manned by 3 big-hearted crews crossed the sea without any issue...
Look, its empty! Ako lang kasi ang pasahero :)

At 10:44AM, we were already approaching the eco-tourism building...
So I started inching my way to the forward section of the boat...

And before we docked, I saw these...
passenger boats are required to take trash to mainland from Kalanggaman Island
Empty containers (boatmen said they were buying more for a group still on the island). AND, these three bunches on foreground are, trash. Which I think, is an issue hehe!

Remember the trash briefing? White for biodegradable and black for non-biodegradable. Now, why do I see a Coke Plastic Bottle inside the white trash bag? Haruuuy mga tawo! Not only the Palompon government needs to improve, but we the people too! Kelan?

Okay, I arrived at the eco-tourism office and walked to town. But we are not done yet!

This was just Palompon town proper. I still needed lunch, and I still needed to be in Tacloban (about 120 kms away) at 4PM! AND what has Ormoc got to do with all these?

Next story please!

==========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of my notes:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15        Fifteen stories!    
==========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.



Post a Comment

0 Comments