Early Morning Lechon @ Palompon!

A little past 5AM I was already out of the Love Travellers Inn so I could walk to the eco tourism office to check-in for the boat ride to Kalanggaman. Nice morning for a walk.

The less-than-5-minute walk was a good glimpse of Palompon on an early morning.
tasty crispy lechon at Palompon market
On the sides of the road by the palengke towards the church are a number of make-shift stalls selling lechon OMG lechon yum yum yummie yum yum... At just past 5AM!

These are not permanent stalls. Just tables big enough to fit a lechon.
lechon sold early morning at Palompon
Some are even tables with wheels! After their lechon is sold out, or when the time comes that they are not any more allowed on the sides of the road - whichever comes first - they disappear! So, if you're not a "weekend early morning riser" chances are, you'll never get a glimpse of this oh so salivating scene!

Of course I thought of buying lechon to be brought to the island...
lechon vendors Palompon
But the corny and KJ part of me resisted and won! The debate in my mind ran like this...

Reasons not to buy that lechon this morning:

1) nag-iisa ka, how much lechon can you eat alone? You cannot even properly finish a Jollibee Cheese Burger, how much more 1/4 kilo of lechon (that's the minimum weight they can/will sell), plus puso, plus Coke? Sayang ang lechon kung hindi uubusin!

2) nag-iisa ka, you will look ugly bringing a plastic sando bag. You cannot put that sando bag of lechon into the backpack. The oil (however careful you are) will smear into your clothes and the insides of the bag. Plus, do you want your backpack to smell like lechon?

3) nag-iisa ka, ang haggard naman for the public to see you eating lechon alone at Kalanggaman, Kawawa ka naman... they might think you just scavenged for that haha!

So, final solution to the issue, I did not buy, but begged for lechon PANIT! (skin)

Yep, I even already have a spiel on this: "di lagi ko kapalit, nag-inusara man ko, patilawa lang ko anang panit 'nang be! 'nya pa-piktyura pud ko ha?" It works all the time. 100%! 

In total, if I would stitch together all the lechon skin I had tasted for free, aba, aabot din ng 3 square inches yun! Not bad! Plus pandesal from the nearby bakery, Breakfast!

Actually, as this was happening (I begging for lechon skin, entawon), I did feel some kind of "deja vu". It felt like this has happened to me before. And I remembered, yes, a similar "miracle" happened to me in Calbayog 3 years ago! Miracle daw o! Hehehe. I am so...

Anyway, I moved forward hehe, and saw the early morning view of their olden church
Remember this? Yes, I learned yesterday that this is the oldest church in Leyte!

If you're like me (mahilig sa pics/vids but only have a cellphone for a gadget), you will like this finding: this church is not very camera friendly in the mornings, because, it is west-facing, therefore the sun is behind it during sunrise.

Onwards more, just before the Seaside Elementary School, I saw these:...
Beds, and other wooden furniture for sale. But those are not for us the tourists, right?! Just how do you bring home that kind of bed, aber?! A cute thing I learned here though is, they have to be gone from this place by start of office/school hours on a weekday, but they can stay longer during weekends. Oops, across this is the park! Time to turn right!

Okay, turned to the right, its the park na! I'm going to that colorful building. And...
so I arrived at the Palompon eco-tourism office. To check-in for Kalanggaman Island.

But let's talk about that in my next story!

==========================================
 Click these numbers for a chronology of my notes:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15        Fifteen stories!   
==========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.



Post a Comment

0 Comments