Tubigon Arrival Scene

This is a short take but I consider very important to tell my dear readers, if only to manage expectations and ensure worry-free travels. I consider my arrival at this town via a midnight RORO as something to remember and take extra notice. Am not sure if this is always the case with other passengers who take the fast crafts during daytime. There maybe some subtle differences. But here’s my story to tell…

About a kilometer yet away from the pier, passengers on my full RORO ride were already inching their way to the exit points of the boat. We wondered why and started guessing what the hurry was. But I said that it is always the case anywhere. And on any mode of transport anyway, right? So we took our grand time while everyone else scrimmaged their way to the exit way as if Tubigon would go away and everyone should hurry to disembark from the ship hehe. There was some bit of accidental pushing or stepping on others’ toes and we just smiled looking at all humanity squeezing their way to the stairs and exit points of the RORO.

When we finally emerged on the pier’s pavement, we followed everyone else on the usual long walk exiting the port to a grilled gate where many trikes and habal-habal rides were available. As anywhere, drivers were of course eager to get passengers and it was a contest for many of them to get us. And as always, I go for the non-aggressive. No particular reason that I can think of, but it has already been customary for me to find and talk to a driver instead of acceding to the many who come to me offering their services.

We found an old man of a driver just seated at his trike seemingly resigned at all the aggressiveness of his colleagues in calling out for passengers. He asked my companion saying “asa mo?” though I was the one who replied with “Ligaya’s Pension House”. As he readied himself on the driver’s seat, I asked how much would be the fare. His reply was “kamo bahala”. Its not the first time I’ve heard that phrase in this country and its one of my peeves. Surprisingly, I took this lightly and I did not feel that irritated when I knew at other circumstances I would flare up at hearing that phrase.

Companion was already seated inside the tricycle cab but I remained standing outside to sweet-talk manong driver. I started with “nong, og muhatag mi piso, sugot ka?”. His reply was “dii oi”! and so I said “that’s why, ingna mi tagpila plete sa tricyle ninyo diri”! He eventually said “siete, pero dugangan ninyo kay…” and I cut him there saying “alam namin yan ‘nong, dugangan kay gabii, special trip etc etc., let’s go”! then I climbed in.

So there we were on our way to Ligaya’s Pension House at about 3:35 in the morning. On arrival, I gave manong driver two 20-peso bills and asked him “ok na na”? He nodded and off he went and in the eerie darkness of a tree-lined street we faced Ligaya’s gate. Duuu!

Let’s cover this pension house on my next entry, k?!


If you want to read the chronology of all stories on this tour, click the following:
01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34



Post a Comment

0 Comments