Bantayan Breakfast And Bumming Around


My first breakfast on this Bantayan escapade was decidedly at Kota Beach Resort, even if I had to pay for it (since I was not an in-house guest), and even if I had a free breakfast waiting at Budyong where I was staying. I arranged for this last night because I just love to sit at this corner of Kota Beach Resort.
Note that this is not even the "dining area" of Kota Resort. This is more of a sports/snack/cocktail bar! Behind me as I took that picture, is/was the pool table (yes, a bilyaran!) that opens still later in the day!

It is not that I don't like breakfast being served at Budyong (they're similar anyway). I just like this spot at Kota Resort. This (bar/games area), is not even open yet at breakfast time. I just asked permission!
At bakit ko naman naisip yun? Ah eh, I think it was during the Suroy-suroy Sugbo time, when breakfast was served, there were so many of us in the dining hall that I requested to sit out here. Pinayagan ako!

From then on, I came to love this spot. Outdoorsy, with a nice view of the beach and the sea. Plus, you can see (and hear) the activities (transactions) of locals and visitors. A people-watching area hahaha!

Tsismoso ba? What's the scoop? Ah, that girl under the tree is selling cold buko juice (in plastic cups)! The men & women at right are boatmen (for island-hopping tours) and vendors of just about anything.

They're there because that's the end of a street coming from center of town - where most guests who stay at inner-area accommodations would emerge at to see the beach, where they can then offer their services or products such as boat rides, massage, hats, etc., even selfie sticks and "ice-drop"! Oh ha?!

In fact, I am now suspecting... that overhearing those 'transactions' are the main reason why I like that corner of Kota Beach Resort as tambayan - an ideal spot for learning the ins&outs of this resort town!

Like at one time I overheard boatmen kind-of reprimanding (driving away?) what they call 'badjao kids' who were trying to approach tourists to beg for cash. I heard them say "bawal yan dito sa Bantayan". The fact that boatmen were speaking in Tagalog only meant the "badjao kids" are not from this place.

See? I "heard and learned" all those things, before I even got to start on my delectable breakfast!
That, by the way, is my family's favorite "Purefoods Corned Beef" - which is not commonly available in many Philippine resorts/hotels. They mostly have that brand in a yellow can which is "malansa" to me.

And one more thing... Kota Resort usually serve buffet breakfast. So I was being kind of a nuisance to have approached them asking that 1) I walk-in and eat outside (at the game area), 2) I order a la carte, when they have buffet breakfast. So, I courteously requested ahead of time, using a little bit of charm!

Final note: as I said above "not that I didn't like the breakfast at Budyong". My Room 8 veranda is/was even more "dramatic" a breakfast area than above. But on vacation, I have to follow my whims, di ba?!

I talked to staff and arranged all that I wanted for my breakfast. I even joked with a Budyong staff that she can have my breakfast as I'd be having one at Kota Resort! It became a 'standard' during my stay!

The screened dining area of Kota beach Resort is also a fine place overlooking the beach and the sea.
My phone's camera isn't giving it justice because, it's dainty airy bright in there. This shot probably just became too dark as it was a really bright morning outside. Note there are outside tables around it too.

But I still preferred hanging out at the sports bar area (to the right of that photo above). And hey Look!
Do you notice any stark difference between this and the first picture above? Si Manong Guard has just already given up trying to shelter his "roofless guard house" with that little pink umbrella hahaha! Aliw!

I even went near to ask (nag-osyoso) and console him on his predicament heheh. Why naman kasi did this resort make a guard house na walang bubong! Well, there's no roof but there is a drawer with this:
Uh-huh... I do not have to describe what that is. Basta ratatatatat yan. Period! Ano, kakasa kayo? Ha? I think I should limit my being inquisitive for the sake of this blog hehe. Kung anu-ano na nakikita ko eh!

Anyway...

Vacazien nga eh, tunganga time, just sitting, bumming around, looking at anything and nothing!
For a moment, I thought of going on an island-hopping, but the practical side of me reigned. Not now!

About 9ish, I decided to instead walk to my cottage, lest it starts thinking that I do not anymore exist!
Can you see the uneven sand? That is caused by the constantly moving (and strong) water current.

The tide was coming up again, oh yeah...

I thought I could (and certainly should) wade in that nearby area when the water is up a little deeper!
Take note of that newly built "life guard tower". You must disregard its presence, meaning do not think of ever feeling safely watched in the water, especially if you have children with you. Think of it instead as just a decoration or photo-op background! Why? Because there are really no life guards in this area.

You will see many signs all over this place that say "no life guard on duty"!

Incidentally, I saw people erecting that nice-looking tower just yesterday when I arrived. So, it's new!
Once again, as said above, think of that tower as just something for your picture-taking, nothing else.

Now now, if you are observant, you should see some kind of silhouette or shadow under that "bamboo watch tower". Do you? Its a child-vendor, resting under the shade. She sells necklaces, made of shells!

That just reminded me of the tongue-twister: "she sells seashells by the seashore"!

Now also, if you're really very observant, the white terrace at right is my Room 8. I went there, dropped everything on the terrace's table, then ran back, to dip in the warm morning waters of Bantayan Island.

Ahhh life!

Post a Comment

0 Comments