How I Ended-up At Room 8



Budyong Beach Resort is a good old resort on the white sand beach of Sta. Fe, Bantayan Island, and it is becoming better! But without a plan as it was, I did not think I would end up at this accommodation facility, that I enjoyed anyway. This involved patience, luck and even a bit of charm. Oh yes, I have that!

The story goes like this...

Upon arrival at the port, I decided I should stay at Kota Beach. So I hailed a trike and said "Kota Beach" to the driver. When I asked what would be the best resort there, his reply was "Kota Beach Resort man kaha ka" [I thought you said you're going to Kota Beach Resort]! No, I did not, but I said "aw okay, sige"!

That's something worth noting if you're non-Cebuano. The spoken language in this place is somehow that of 'lazy speakers', if there is a thing like that. The above conversation is one example. I said "Kota Beach" meaning the beach strip. He mistook that as I said "Kota Beach Resort" since that is how they speak. Remember the "Cebu City North Bus Terminal"? They call it "North Bus"! Speaking in short-cut!

More examples? Ah, we have already covered that sometime ago (I think). But, I have examples: Wala meaning left is "wa". Wala meaning none is "wa", Elizabeth Mall is "E-Mall", J Centre Mall is "J-Mall" or more precisely "G-Mall"! Why is that? Ahhh no more question-question, jast bilib and fallow gud! Okey?

It's not just on words, it can go to phrases and even full sentences like these: 'ana-a sa luyo' meaning 'it's at the back' is spoken as "nasluyo" (from a 6-syllable phrase, they truncated it into just 3); and hear this 'Sangpit Sa Senyor Sto. NiƱo' meaning 'call out [plead] to the Holy Child' became just "Pit Senyor"!

Anyway, let's go back to my Kota Beach escapade hehehe! When trike driver said "Kota Beach Resort man kaha", it reminded me, that the resort at the corner of the white sandy beach strip is named such! That's why I said "aw okay, sige" since he somehow already answered my question -- a resort to go to!

I arrived at Kota Beach Resort, went straight to front desk, asked for a sea-side room, there was none, asked for any kind of room, there was none! Paktaylo! The smiling front desk girl told me to check out their neighbor! I reluctantly did, crossing the little alley, across to front desk of Budyong Beach Resort.

I asked for a sea-side room, they had one available but not directly facing the sea, it faced sideways. I was asked to check it out before saying "yes" - so I did. But I was thinking, if I didn't like the said room, where would I go? I knew there are many resorts herearounds, but I was too excited to settle down na!

Thus, upon seeing that this 'last room' seemed livable for the next three days anyway, I took it!
I silently giggled telling my royal highness, that that overly long curtain does not affect me in any way!

I was more concerned and interested at what I could see outside of the room, such as this...
I even said wow, even if my view was generally the backs of the sea-front cottages at right side of pic.

Sea-front? Yes, that was more of my interest, so I went there, taking the few steps to the right, to this:
What a lovely afternoon! Tempting me to immediately walk around, but the sun was still 'painfully hot'!

I sat under one of the coconut trees savoring the views.., until I saw something worth 'investigating'!
The second cottage at left... there was some movement that made me curious. I went there to check.

Hmm, two housekeeping boys and a girl were like having fun cleaning the room, but unhurried. Hmm..
I asked them if it was occupied, they said "kaka-checkout lang po". I also asked if it was reserved, they told me to "ask the front desk po". So I went there to ask. Make a long story short, it became my room!

Those kids even got my backpack from that previous room (pics above) and transferred it here...

Thus, Room 8 of Budyong Beach Resort, will become my home for the next two (or three) days...
This is one of the best rooms you can ever get in this resort (because it is new with newer amenities).

And there's nothing in front other than the white sand and the blue sea. Yeah!

Comments