Roaming Raffles City

This was fun - though quick! I now think I should do this often - I mean roam big malls, that is! For this has never really been my 'cup of tea'. But today, unintended as it was, there were many people, places and things I saw, that made me smile, grin or even laugh out loud mag-isa parang nasiraan ng bait!😋

Raffles City as many of you would know, is an expansive mall that they call "a city within a city". It has hotels at both ends - my Swissotel The Stamford rising all the way up to the 73rd floor and the shorter Fairmont Hotel - just 26 floors, but made up of two towers, and no less, probably even more luxurious.

There is even the big and modern "Raffles City Convention Center" within this complex, connecting all the tall buildings and facilities of this "city within a city. This whole "city" connects to 2 MRT stations - City Hall and Esplanade stations. Saan ka pa di ba? May East-West and North-South lines na (Green EW13 and Red NS25), meron pang Circle Line (Orange CC3). Accessible from any part of Singapore!

All these are connected to/by the mall areas of Raffles City. Levels 1, 2, 3, B1 and B2 are commercial establishments (the main mall area) in a merry mix with some of the two hotels' facilities - just some, not all! Like Robinsons Galleria, connecting the Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza, but on a grander scale.

Let me tell you that I have been to this place probably 5 or 6 times in the past, but I really do not know nor cannot confidently find any of the stores without asking around or looking for a directory of some sorts. I do know, most eating places are at B1, and there is a supermarket there, for everything I need.

So here is the story...
Having just settled at my room on the 48th floor of The Stamford, time came for me to look for dinner. And I knew just what to do - go down to Basement 1 (B1) and choose anything that might interest my taste buds and stomach, dine-in or to-go. Then I would walk around to find the supermarket so I could pick bottles of beer (preferably SML) and some snacks plus yosi to last me thru to midnight fireworks.

However, in all those previous times I visited Raffles City, I entered it from street level or from the MRT. That means I usually just go straight to the shop or department store (there's Robinsons here) selling what I want to buy. So this was first time I was 'descending' upon the mall from up a hotel room. That translates in my mind to be.., there would be new, more interesting distractions that I haven't seen yet!

Like this: when I took the elevator going down, I read on the floor buttons that I can get off at 4th level to connect to the function areas and the convention center. So I did that, just for curiosity's sake lang!

Emerging from the elevators, I saw this top level of the mall...
And I was at some kind of an atrium lobby connecting the two hotels, with a bevy of meeting, function and breakout rooms. Oh, I was already at their Raffles City Convention Center - all just above the mall!

Hmm, since I was already descending upon the mall, and many things looked particularly interesting, I decided I might just as well stroll around until I get to Basement 1 for my food and beer. I was aware it was getting late (around 8PM), but from previous experiences, I also know that stores and restaurants here close at 10PM or even 11PM pa nga - their response to cater to office folks who knock-off late.

Out of the blue and suddenly, naaliw ako mag-ikot sa mall. That's very un-me! Well, probably it was for lack of anything to do until midnight, or, it has been a while since I visited a mall, or, maybe because I got engrossed looking meticulously at signs and signages that I do not commonly see elsewhere.

Like this...
funny english signboard at a flower shop inside raffles city singpore
Ano daw? Honestly natulala ako dito. I stood a while, thinkin what was being promoted and what was the 'come on'. Ano nga kaya? Would you know? Meron bawas na idinagdag? I wanted to ask the staff, just for curiosity and humor's sake. Kaso, baka pagalitan ako! And I do not know terminologies about their products. Eh this store sells mga bulaklak, dahon and other 'women things', baka ako pa maging katawa-tawa if I asked. Mamya sabihin nung masungit na matanda "Why you ask?' Ano isasagot ko?

What does "redutions" mean? Hehehe, I know they wanted to say "reductions". Plus, the S at the end does not applyS! Hinala ko ang nagsulat nyan, me sakit na addiction, passion, obsession sa letrang S!

Ah ito, I bought some things in this store! This is a famous global brand ng mga butingting. Tatatakan ng personalized whatever ang items mo like belts, wallets or diaries etc., that's what they do. And I did not really find their company/store name funny until kanina while nakatunganga sa loob ng store nila.
KIKKI.K is a funny name for filipinos because it sounds like something kinky
As I waited for my items being 'personalized', that brand name kept pressing a naughty word into my head. Bakit kaya ganito ang napili nilang pangalan? Ang dami namang letter "K" nyan! Naisip ko tuloy, sana after the dot, hindi na another K ang inilagay nila. The letters M and O nalang sana, to represent "MO"nogramming. So that, instead of KIKKI.K magiging KIKKI.MO na! Di ba mas makabuluhan iyon?

Hah! Tama na ang pasyal, kung anu-ano ang nakikita ko! Tara kain tayo!

Post a Comment

0 Comments