Cactus Garden, At Changi Airport

I was in transit (again) at Singapore's Changi Airport! This was the reverse of my trip to Bali, and I was homeward bound: Bali-Singapore-Cebu. Bear with me (or should I say: "abangan ang mga kabanata"!), as I expect a number of 'situations' like this in the next few months! That means more Changi stories!

This time let me tell you about the Cactus Garden, inside Changi Airport's Terminal 1.

I'm no fan of Cacti nor anything of the 'botanical' aspect on earth - so I don't/didn't seek these out. But I do know how to appreciate the fascinating world around me, especially when I encounter them while seeking my own levels/standards of comfort and convenience. That's how I 'met' this Cactus Garden!
I put it this way: This Smoking Area has a Cactus Garden! Others may see/say it the other way around, that: this Cactus Garden has a Smoking Area. Both are fine.., I just found this place looking for a 'puff'!

Obviously not some so-so pieces of cactus plucked from "kung saan-saang eskinita sa" Singapore..,
Just by looking at them, you will know these are from the hot and arid places of far away lands. I think I read somewhere, that there are more than a hundred kinds (species?) of cactus in this garden alone.

I was surprised to see that when cacti do bear flowers.., aba, they are also very colorfully attractive!
Many are labeled with their common and scientific names. Okay, I'll take photos of names next time.

When you're already at the garden and you look back at the entrance, this is what you see..,
Those canopies are not only 'artsy', they provide a nice shade as this is an open roof garden.

Not everything is cactus though, if you look right.., this one is (I believe hehe) even more interesting..,
The Cactus Pub - open 24hours a day, any day of the week! So far, in all of my visits, there had always been at least 1 Pinoy crew member, either as waiter or bartender! Wala nga lang SMB o SML, sayang!

And by the way, you do not have to stay at the bar's high chairs, lalo na kung nasa lahing punggok ka!
There are regular tables and chairs in the open where you can properly enjoy your food and drinks. Ah, while this place is "open air", smoking is only at designated spaces - not at the bar nor at those tables.

Hint: eto na ang tinatawag nating "however"! During the night, when obviously no passengers come to appreciate cacti, the bar and those tables get crowded with 'generally' smokers only. So umuusok sya!

Cute trivia: yung isang matandang insik na waitress (supervisor yata), marunong na rin mag Tagalog!

This Cactus Garden is located at a Roof Deck (parang 4th level na hindi) of Changi Airport Terminal 1.
You go up to the 3rd level (a mezzanine-like area) via an escalator or a cute 1-level glass elevator to a TV and/or Movie Viewing Area, beside a Free Internet Lounge, where at the end is a Burger King store.

After climbing the stairs to this Cactus Garden, if you look back at the doorway, you will see this!
It's a different view at night -in all those seats you see, even bare on the carpet will be people sleeping!

The nearest gate to this area is C11 (almost seen at lower left of picture). And I observed, most of the budget airliners that fly to various cities in the Philippines would usually park in and around that gate!

Let's see something else next!

Post a Comment

0 Comments