Arrival & Check-in: Intercontinental Bali Resort

I finally reached The Intercontinental Bali Resort, but I got no photos of their captivating entrance gate
So I grabbed this very nice capture from googlemaps. Simple yet alluring foresty green entrance, 'no? Very reminiscent of, parang papasok into one of the buildings or compounds of UP Diliman or Ateneo!

Anyway.., here is my story, and my pictures...

Indonesia is a "drive-left" country, so entrances are also normally on the left side, like this..,
approaching the main gate of Intercontinental Bali Resort in Jimbaran
Hmm, there's something "similiar" to what we commonly have everywhere in our dearest inang bansa! I'm still not sure though if I should be happy and proud or just stay gratefully quiet about it instead. Do you know what I'm saying? Eh, do we even have to talk about it? I'm hesitant now. But okay, look at the picture intently again. At the entrance portion.., left edge of the photo.., you can see uniformed people.

Yes, the gates of Intercontinental Bali Resort are 'amply' guarded by two kinds of uniformed personnel who look intimidating. When I saw them as we entered, a glint of 'alarm' muddled my mind. Why is the army here? What just happened? Yet a corner of my brain said 'shutup, chill and proceed, normal yan'!

It is just like at many establishments (not only hotels or resorts) in the Philippines, right? May security guard na, me pulis and/or sundalo pa! Usually, some or all even carry high powered firearms, right?😧

That is normal to us, and now also to people of Bali. But for tourists from other countries like J and K, they shiver and shudder at that sight. Ang sumasagi kasi sa isip nila e, nagkakagulo or me katatapos lang na gulo! In fact, that's what first came to my mind as we approached that gate! Nakaka-praning!

Anyway, I now already know the reason on how these military personnel became 'permanent fixtures' at the entrances of big establishments not only in Jimbaran but all of Bali and even the whole country. There were bombing incidents years ago, one of which was just nearby. I'll mention it when I get there!

After getting-thru the "military checkpoint" haha, the cab had to circle (clockwise) to this red roof!
That's the foyer and entrance to the resort's lobby. Under that roof is only the big lobby and front desk!

Guests are let off at this foyer. Another surprise here! I can even write a book just about this spot!
curbside foyer entrance at Intercontinental Bali Resort in Jimbaran
At left is the transport desk, at right is the bellhop. Dandy but kind of expected, right? I thought so too.

Nang walang anu-ano.., there was a loud bang, umalingawngaw ang buong paligid, it sounded like me nalaglag o ibinalibag na kawa! When I looked, it was that gong, smashed by the bellman. Can you see it in the photo? It's on a wooden frame, facing sideways, a little behind the right elbow of Mr. Bellman!

I was laughing (kunwari) facing them, but in my mind I was saying "hayup ka Manong, napatalon ang puso ko dun ha? Buti di ako tumili! Inakala ko tuloy sumugod na si Lapu-lapu sa kaharian ni Dagohoy"!

Hahaha, yes I was truly startled! Although I immediately recognized what it was and what for. Oh ha? Yes, I do remember some historical bits-'n-pieces encountered during my travels! In fact my memories zoomed me back to the 'Calicoan Surf Camp' of yesteryears where there was also a gong at the gate. Gongs were/are used to announce the arrival of esteemed or revered personages. Parang sa atin din!

Another thing.., do you notice the very tall umbrella-like things on both sides of the photo? Those are called Tedung - originally for religious ceremonial rituals. Recently however, Tedungs became popular adornments at restaurants and hotel entrances, symbolizing 'protection' from evil, harm or bad luck.

Tedung is also called "Pajeng" or "Payung Bali" (Bali Umbrella). Doesn't that sound familiar? Well, you may not know yet, there are many words in Bahasa that are the same as, or similar to Tagalog, Waray, Ilocano,  Bisaya, and many others. Sometimes they're fun to listen to like: mahal, mura, ini, lima, anak, mata, kambing, buawaya, langit, bulan, sepatu, siku, gunting, muka, bangun, kita, telinga, etc., etcetera!

Hey, did you notice there's a "security gate" (walk-thru scanner) at left? Yep, just like those that we see and pass through at airports. That man told me they use it during heightened security alert situations.

See? I said I could write a book just looking at the picture above!

By the way, right before that gong was whacked, another guy already opened the car door for me and took my luggage as if he specifically knew where they were and how many. Walang tanung-tanong, he just went straight inside hauling them for me! I did not ask, but I pondered on "how did he know that"?

Another cute thing.., the gong seemed to have summoned the appearance of two usherettes here...
entrance to the lobby of Intercontinental Bali Resort in Jimbaran
Unfortunately, I was not able to catch them on my camera, but those lovely lasses welcomed me and directed me where next to go. This, btw brings guests to the expansive tastefully decorated airy lobby!

While the girls greeted me, I saw (out of a corner of my chinky eyes!) that there were lines at the front desk, although I wasn't sure if those were guests checking-in or checking-out. I was secretly delighted they didn't point me in that direction, but to a well-appointed desk on the side, nearer where we stood!

A more senior staff that looked like a supervisor of the two usherettes was there waiting and greeted me by my name as I approached. Oh okay, IHG Club Members don't have dedicated check-in line here, but an office-like desk where you sit across the officer checking you in. Cool, but how'd she know me?!

Anyway, I saw my things already sitting on one of two chairs, then came another girl with this..,
"welcome drink" at Intercontinental Bali Resort in Jimbaran
For some reason, I thought "wow okay 'to, hindi iced-tea ang welcome drink nila"! And I was thirsty. So I quickly grabbed it and sipped. Hmm, masarap sya, and I discovered it was.., iced-tea! Haay welcome drink of the world, when will you be anything else?! Don't get me wrong, I like iced-tea, but I love Coke!

I will be honest.., it took thrice longer to finish my welcome drink, than to do the check-in. Eh pirma ka lang with hi hello and konting chika, yun na! Samantala, si welcome drink nanamnamin mo pa kunwari (pa-sosy ba, 'di basta lagok-simot)! Hihingi ka pa ng second serving to show na nasarapan ka, ganern!

But as always, checking-in as an IHG club member is always fun, made hilarious by me myself and I!

Welcome drink finished, check-in done, I stood up, and a youngish crew member (who was all along standing a few feet nearby) received my room cards from the Manager (yes, Manager pala yung nag-check-in sakin), immediately grabbed my things and proceeded in my room's direction. Ms. Manager (I expected this) also walked with me while making kwento, so there were 3 of us going to my room!

In the room (this is also routine to them), they started switching the lights, TV and air-conditioner, and finally, what I call "The Inventory Review" (where staff shows me this and that, how to do this and that in the entire room)! "Sir this is da di dah, this is your bla bla blah with compliments, and so on and on!

Sa hinaba-haba ng prosisyon.., ang ending.., "me time"! Yey!

I'll tell you more about my stay in succeeding stories!

Comments