Caibiran to Culaba to Kawayan to Almeria to Naval

This story would have been about my Culaba visit - only. But, unforeseen circumstances prevented me from doing my 'usually extensive enough' walk around center of town. So to make the short story long (yes, me ganun), let me include places in Kawayan, Almeria, up until I reached the day's pitstop, Naval!

How's this for starters: this was as we left Caibiran going to the circumferential road to reach Culaba.
panoramic mountain views in Caibiran, Biliran
Unfortunately I was not able to ask-around what mountain that is. There were no human beings to ask in the first place hehe! We were in the back roads, the rice fields of Caibiran, which, my driver said was a panoramic (OMG yes, I agree) shortcut to the circumferential road, so we could reach Culaba faster.
panoramic mountain views in Caibiran, Biliran
We passed by old narrow but good enough roads with no people but fantastic views of vast ricefields.

In no time, we reached where the cross country road intersects with the circumferential road..,
cross-country road intersection with circumferential road on Biliran Island
Yes, turning left here is a quick way to Naval, even passing via famous places like Tinago Falls. But we were going to Culaba, Kawayan and Almeria before Naval. Thus, we went straight on this road at right.

From that junction above, the circumferential road goes on a hilly downward run to Tomalistis, which is the northernmost barangay of Caibiran. But upon reaching the next barangay (Pinamihagan) which is the southernmost barrio of Culaba, you're back to grand sea vistas all the way to the town's center!
panoramic sea views in Caibiran approaching Culaba, Biliran Island
panoramic sea views in Caibiran approaching Culaba, Biliran Island
panoramic sea views in Caibiran approaching Culaba, Biliran Island
panoramic sea views in Culaba, Biliran Island

Culaba's Municipal Hall is along the highway, after a gas station, few meters from entering poblacion!
municipal hall of Culaba, Biliran
Eto na.., that's the best I could take as a picture of their 'Pamahalaang Bayan', so please do not ask for more hehe! I said "unforeseen circumstances" at the very beginning of this article, right? This is one of those. We arrived at a time that the sun was above (a little behind) the roof. Any front view was futile!

Plus, there are those tarpaulins erected on the fence covering the view even if I went down the street. Not to mention, there's also that firetruck they opted to park on this part of the highway. Haruy mano!

Anyway, I think it's such a tiny municipal hall compared to others I have seen in many a rural town. But then again, Culaba has the fewest people of the 7 towns on this island - Maripipi, the 8th and smallest town of this province, is a separate island of its own.., that, I/we should/must visit one of these days! I said "tara let's see their church" and the driver was like surprised asking me "that's it?", I said yes hehe!

This is the San Isidro Labrador (St. Isidore the Worker) Parish Church of Culaba, Biliran..,
San Isidro Labrador (St. Isidore the Worker) Parish Church of Culaba, Biliran
Like that of the municipal hall above, that is also the only 'presentable' picture I got of the church! The sun was not behind it (this church faces north) but this is included in the "unforeseen circumstances".

What "unforeseen circumstances" this time? Ah eh.., ongoing constructions all over the place!
San Isidro Labrador (St. Isidore the Worker) Parish Church of Culaba, Biliran
Not only on that entrance gate, but they were also refurbishing some inside portions of the church.
San Isidro Labrador (St. Isidore the Worker) Parish Church of Culaba, Biliran
Lusot na ba?! Okay I will be honest.., it was also too unbearably hot and humid, I didn't feel like getting out of the car! My body felt like having a much-needed 'siesta' as I was still drowsily "surfeited" of that hefty 'merienda' we had at the fastfood in Caibiran eh! That's the "unforeseen circumstance" this time!

But I still had the energy to take one last shot of the municipal hall as we returned to the highway!
Plus, I also got a shot of the old but not anymore wooden house at left. At least it still has an "azotea"! Oh look, there are also other more buildings behind the munisipyo. So they don't really need a big one!

By the way, that's San Isidro St., where we were coming from in the above picture. That is probably the most important of all their streets! Aside from the church, all houses are big (may kaya), there is also the poblacion barangay hall, some stores, a bakery, Biliran Electric, Palawan Express,.., and it goes all the way to their Fire Station, public market, their covered courts, and a big old wood house at the end!

We made a quick round of the rest of the streets before exiting town. I saw some old street markers that resemble some that I saw in Calubian and elsewhere in Leyte (like wreaths with stands but made of concrete). There's a new fish-market-like building with a basketball court near the pier. Ah, there are still a handful of good old wooden houses. And, there is a barangay named "Marvel"! Walang Batman!

We found our way going to Kawayan, and I liked this name "Amambahag Bridge" - it sounds Tagalog!
Amambahag Bridge, Culaba, Biliran

Just like how we exited Caibiran, the way out of Culaba were the wonderful mountain views too!
panoramic mountain views in Culaba going to Kawayan, Biliran
panoramic mountain views in Culaba going to Kawayan, Biliran
panoramic mountain views in Culaba going to Kawayan, Biliran

But no sooner, the fantastic sea views appeared on my right! The panoramic coastal road again!
panoramic sea views in Kawayan, Biliran
panoramic sea views in Kawayan, Biliran
That, as we entered the town center of Kawayan.., and those are the only two pictures I took in/of this town. Part of "unforeseen circumstances" again hehe. As we entered town center, I felt like dozing off!

I do remember the driver said "Sir, Kawayan na", and I think I replied with "sige derecho Zzzz ngork"! I was probably too confident as I already 'explored' this town sometime ago (2010?) and took photos.

Same thing with Talahid Beach and Almeria town center, though I reminded him we could be coming back to these places soon - I just suddenly remembered I have upcoming meetings in these places!

But Almeria is already near Naval, and the driver doesn't know where Marvin's was. So I got up..,
Just in time for me to see those now-famous tall straight trees lining part of the road in Almeria!

And I also always watch out for this part of the road with lush trees that they already form an arch.

Okay fine, I was already awake.., watching out for the corner that leads to Atipolo Elementary School!

And when I saw the sign.., I said kanan kanan kanan! And we made our way to Marvin's Seaside Inn..,
They're also called "Marvin's Resort" by some travelers. It was even "Marvin James Seaside Inn" when I first came to know this place many years ago! At least, there is only one "Marvin's" in Naval so far! Ah basta, whatever the new or real name, this was our pitstop and my dinner meeting venue for the night!

Let's talk about Marvin's! But in my next story, okay? Abangan...

Post a Comment

0 Comments