Caibiran Fly-By

sea view from the coastal road of Cabucgayan, Biliran
Tranquil sea views along the coast (Langgao Cabucgayan to Caibiran)

Onwards from Cabucgayan to Caibiran. It's not a far ride, I guess less than 20kms, and supposedly on a scenic highway. However, on many parts, the new circumferential road was moved inland, instead of the usual coastal road. But you don't have to literally take my word for it, as I have my own little biases being (as always) a true-blue "son-of-a-beach"! Upland roads are scenic too - with the sea views, hehe!
approaching Caibiran from Cabucgayan, Biliran

Somebody called.., and we were cruising fast on the road.., argh I missed many things! I even missed the horse! Do you know the horse thing at the fork intersection of the circumferential road? Yep, at the Y-intersection where going right is to the town center of Caibiran and going left is onward to the cross country road and to Culaba. There's a horse monument that I don't know (yet) what for or what about!

Anyway, just because he knows the place, driver went very fast and in no time, we were already at the side of the Caibiran Auditorium which incidentally is the front of the gate of the church. I aimed, and..,
in front of St. James the Apostle Parish Church of Caibiran, Biliran
That habal-habal just suddenly appeared in my camera's view as I clicked. And what a fanciful subject hahaha! The two maidens in yellow dresses are/were obviously part of a bridal entourage. All three of them ladies are wearing slippers, but holding their high-heeled shoes - now that is what we should call "laging handa"! I took that shot at 2:47PM, now guess, was the wedding done or still about to happen?

Based on inferential evidence hehehe.., the wedding AND reception are done.., they're going home!

Okay, wedding entourage gone.., here is my take of St. James the Apostle Parish Church of Caibiran!
entrance gate of St. James the Apostle Parish Church of Caibiran
I couldn't take a direct frontal shot and had to somehow hide under the shade of that tree because of the harsh sunlight. My phone's camera lens is not that aggressive hehe! Da, I'm learning photography!

All because, I want to 'show and tell' everything about my travels. I need to learn. Travel is education!

Alright, I entered the church compound, and immediately noticed the lovely surroundings..,
St. James the Apostle Parish Church of Caibiran
There are even seats in this garden and I rested on one, just to feel how it is. While seated, looking at that round whatever, my thoughts went into asking something like: who is the root of a church and its surroundings being lovely like this, is it the priest or the parishioners? why aren't all churches like this?

It must still be the priest, 'no?! Because, the brethren can only give money, help with labor or cleaning and so on.., but the conceptualizing, the planning as to what to have or what not to have will still come from the 'cura parroco', right? Hmm, and aha, from now on, if I see an ugly church.., hamakin, tuligsain at alipustahin si padre hehehe! Then tell him go learn from Caibiran how beautiful churches are made.

Ang lupit ba?! But really, this church compound (the outside I mean) is so welcoming sarap tambayan. It's like a park! Particularly for the young ones, it can start with just "tambay" at the park.., oops I mean the church compound. Yes they can be noisy at times.., but sooner than later, they'll catch on with the true meaning of being by a House of God.., being WITH GOD! They'll become who their neighbors are!

Anyway, back to that circular thing.., I am almost sure those 6 pillars surrounding St. James must be a symbolism for something Caibiran. And those 6 cute little angels by the pillars are just so alluring. Ah, I guess even the water and where the horse stands-on have meanings. There are lizards too! Would it be "halo" or "ibid"? I know both are lizards but I don't know the difference. Something tells me though..,

Maybe the name Caibiran came from that big lizard called "Ibid"? See? That thing enclosing St. James is not only artistic. It has a historical purpose, relevance, significance. Mahusay! I meant to say that in Tagalog, as in Magaling! But come to think of it, Mahusay na la liwat nga Winaray, as indeed it is baya!

Here's a closer look at the façade of St. James the Apostle Parish Church of Caibiran..,
façade of St. James the Apostle Parish Church of Caibiran, Biliran
A bit over-exposed at the top portion because of the harsh 3PM sun shining towards the lens. But we all can tell, it is such an appealing façade, right? I was silently laughing that it even looks like it blends design elements of 3 (or more) Christian denominations! Why not? Let's call it interfaith homogeneity!

I wish to be able to read the complete design descriptions for this church. This should be an amazing 'study' for architects and architecture students, or even just the curious like me. For example, I'd really like to know the meanings of those subtle intricate and ornate trimmings, the pillars and arches. I can only identify "The Last Supper" on the foyer's gable, although I don't even know why it has to be there!
intricate building details at the St. James the Apostle Parish Church of Caibiran, Biliran

Looking to the right corner as you face the church façade, there is this nifty display of old bells..,
old bells on display at St. James the Apostle Parish Church of Caibiran
Probably worn-out or broken church bells of the past. Ah, I can't grasp why they had to paint 3 of the 4 bells with 'gold'. It just makes them look like cheap copies (I think), when in fact they are real antiques!

I had a laugh here.., I went nearer the unpainted bell, trying to see if there are inscriptions as to date of manufacture and other information (old bells usually have that), but driver jokingly warned me that an old lady was looking at me, and that she looked like suspecting that I was about to "pocket" that damn heavy piece of metal! When I looked, the Dear Lola was really sternly observing me! Atras ako hahaha!

Aside from the bells, this church (I think) also retained some old but priceless mementos like this..,
I do not even know what that is, or what for.., but I consider it a priceless thing having been carved out of wood, and obviously from a distant past! I don't understand the inscriptions too. I think that's Latin.

Here is how the church interiors look as I stood from the main entrance..,
interiors of the St. James the Apostle Parish Church of Caibiran, Biliran
First thing I noticed is the unique ceiling. Those are like hanging panels that drop from every beam. It's definitely not cheap to do - that's a lot of plywood boards. Well, no guessing this time, that's obviously a showcase of the parishioners' might - the donations. This church must've been endowed with "a lot"!

I like the floor too. Although a lighter hue could have made the interiors glow a bit brighter, their use of a single solid color compliments the ceiling design (that already has many lines) achieving elegance!

Now, looking at the altar, I personally think there are so many intersecting lines in that retablo..,
altar of St. James the Apostle Parish Church of Caibiran, Biliran
Good that there are big windows on the sides, up and down, which not only makes the area pleasantly illuminated, but it also prevents the church workers (including the priest!) from putting more clutter on the walls! Ayan tuloy.., yung dingding sa likod ng retablo.., ginawa nang parang bulletin board hahaha!

Those posters just do not belong up there. Anyway, it's still a nice altar (compared to many)!

And hey, look at the "priest's view".., it is clean, uncluttered and orderly as a house of prayer should be!
priest's view at the St. James the Apostle Parish Church of Caibiran, Biliran
Note how beautifully the round stained-glass art is highlighted. It immediately catches attention. Nice!

Alright, overall, for me that is still a charming church. Let's go elsewhere..!

This is the Caibiran Municipal Hall, located just diagonally across to the church's corner..,
Municipal Hall of Caibiran, Biliran
It looks very similar to the Capoocan Municipal Hall! Maybe they were designed or made by the same architect/engineer? Or, the design influence probably came from one person/institution? Oh, not at all impossible! Why? Because the two towns were both part of Leyte Province (until Biliran was declared as a separate one). Plus, both are around Carigara Bay - where the first settlers in Caibiran came from.

Did you know that the three Cs of Biliran Island, yes the three eastern towns of Cabucgayan, Caibiran and Culaba are called the "Waray-waray side"? Yes, because people on this side of the island generally speak Waray-waray, while in the northern and western areas (in general), residents speak in Cebuano.

After the 'glimpse' at that municipal hall, we circled around to the public market and the seaside, but..,
I saw that signage (Prince Fastfood) as driver maneuvered to park the car in front of a police station! It was already 3PM, snack time! We had cheeseburger, french fries and spaghetti - in that order. Burp!

Either the food must have been good or we must have been very hungry or both. Why? Because..,
We kept ordering and eating this and that.., until we realized it was already time to move on to Naval!

I would have wanted to roam around more of this town. But time was not enough (for eating?) 😆

Well, I'll be back soon. But for now, let's go onwards!

Post a Comment

0 Comments