Bobon Town Center

It took more than 10 minutes, probably nearing 15 from San Jose to this welcome arch.

This is the resort town we passed-by yesterday, going to Allen from Catarman. So, in 27 or so hours, I was back in Bobon. Not passing-by this time, but visiting the town center.

Going to the very heart of town is also like Rosario and San Jose where there is a forking road from the highway. However, there is no big DPWH road signage on the Y-junction.

My driver just knows this town, so we went straight to the church and municipal hall without asking around. Don't bet on that welcome arch too (first picture above). That is at the boundary between Bobon and San Jose, still some 5kms to Bobon town center!

Anyway, the road we took from the highway goes all the way here, as in this very spot...
Turn left here if you are going to the municipal hall. Why? Because if you walk through those grassy greens, you will encounter a tall fence. "Separation of Church and State" ba!

This is the Most Holy Name of Jesus Parish Church of Bobon, Northern Samar...
Am not sure how that is said in Tagalog, Bisaya or Waray. But this would be "Parroquia del Santísimo Nombre de Jesús, de Bobon, Samar del Norte. Ayan, me Spanish hangover!

Am not sure what to call the white thing in front that looks like a new addition to these grounds. Is it an obelisk? a pedestal? a pillar? a tower? Whatever, but the inscriptions say "ave maria purisima, our love to her". A dedication (of this place?) to Mama Mary? Maybe.

The bell tower, and even the façade of the church itself, are obviously new constructions, right? But (not clear on the picture), at the top of the gable are the numbers 1892. Which probably indicates this church - well, its original, that is - was constructed 123 years ago!

Aside from the concrete forecourt, this church has a very wide garden area...
From this point to the right is still some 50 meters or so of grassy greens, and it extends all the way to the side and back of the church, probably around a hundred meters long!

Aside from a those gigantic decorative "tadjao" and "kawa", there are real small cannons niftily positioned all over this garden! Plus a gigantic dome that looks like a bandstand.

This is how the inside looks from the main door of the church...
First thing I noticed is how small (narrow) it is. A common handicap of old Spanish-era churches with thick walls that cannot be easily knocked down for sideways expansion.

But for me the visitor, this church looks just elegantly fine. Eh kon damo na tawo, di paghimo bag-o nga simbahan, di ba?! Look, there is no ceiling, but the totality also looks fine. It does not in anyway affect my concentration to pray. Hey, it's cool at midmorning!

The altar. It is on the verge of being too overly decorated with many ornate things...
The highlight seems to be the two podiums (the one on the right not seen in this pic). Why does it have to be huge, ornately adorned with gold and silver? Gaganda ba ang boses nung reader or lector dahil dyan? Magiging pogi ba yung pari during his sermon?

What happens is, it now appears that anything behind the altar table is lame because of the gold and silver trimmings of the big fat podiums and the table. Which should not be!

Anyway, look, there's also the last supper at the altar table! Just like in other churches.

This is the "priest's view". It looks nice, right?
If you can zoom this photo, look at the right edge of the choir loft. You'll see an interesting "someone" over there, that I did not know was there when I took this shot!

Outside, I think this one is new... a dedicated corner of the garden...
I am not yet good at differentiating them... is that Lorenzo Ruiz or Pedro Calungsod?

Further to the left, near the back area of the altar is that old building...
Surely not the convent (an mga padi pa imo! hehe). Its a multi-purpose hall, and it looks well cared! Nice one. For CWL, K of C, etc meetings! Even weddings receptions, why not?!

This is the external wall of one side of this church... you can discern how old it is...
Already refurbished on many parts, but at least we know that is how old churches looked like. I love seeing old buildings like this. Historic reminders of how our forbears worked!

And here is an old "lingganay" of the church! What a great memento for the town, right?
Some of the encryptions already chipped off, so I couldn't read them well. 20NOV1909?

Okay okay, and anyway, I think I stayed too long in this church compound. It felt like I was in a museum with a beautiful garden! Although modernized on some parts, you can still discern history here. There are still remnants of its olden grandeur. I like this place!

I walked to this interesting little old building, their munisipyo of yesteryears...
Nice that they retained it, at least for the memory of yesteryears. Because mind you, look at the back, that's a big modern building there, plus other structures around this place.

Like these... a stage, a public toilet, and 2 buildings comprising the rural health unit!
That yellow thing under the tree at right is like a monument to a certain Eladio T. Balite.

Here here... I experimented with the 'panorama' settings of my phone's camera!
Those are the two pictures above consolidated into this "panoramic shot". Hmm, ok ah!

Eto pa, nawili sa panorama... that's the church, its whole frontage and my sasakyan!
I took this pic while I was at the other side of the fence - the municipal hall area above!

By the way, over at the far end of the church grounds (and fence), by those trees, there is a big monument of a man that faces this way. The funny thing is, that monument is just inches outside of the fence. Whoever it is (Rizal?), kawawa naman, outside da bakod sya!

It's a little "eskinita" going to the elementary school. A very narrow path where there is even a barangay hall (Sta. Clara?). I think they (church/LGU) has an issue there. Hmmm!

Oh, I did not (because I normally do not) forget looking at the old wooden houses...
some of the beautiful old wooden houses of Bobon Northern Samar
I must say there are a lot in this town, and they are all beautiful to look at. These are just few that I was able to catch on my camera as the car zoomed by. There are others more!

I really think I ought to come back to this town. I haven't even got to peep at their white sand beaches and resorts, that I heard are one of the weekend haunts in this province.

Anyway, we proceeded exiting the town via the eastern y-junction I saw yesterday...
Ayan, a "patalikod shot", you can see the rear of my car! We came from in there (at right).

So, next is Catarman (again). But I saw things on the way. That's my next story!

Post a Comment

0 Comments