Balantak Falls


I haven't heard about this waterfall until I was already moments away from being there! And I have no regrets whatsoever. Ah, sometimes, beautiful surprises do happen to my itchy feet. Sometimes haha!
full view of Balantak Falls, Brgy. Rawis, Basey, Western Samar
For me who had seen many a waterfall, this one would seem nothing to shout to the world about. But being there was mesmerizingly refreshing enough. How tall is it? Am not sure, but look for my habal-habal driver on lower ground and compare his height to that of the waterfall. You'll get a hint, at least!

I was in Brgy. Guirang (pronounced gi-rung), in Basey, Samar, for another round of "work-related work"! While walking around near the entrance to the barangay's main residential area I happened to see this:
waiting shed and habal-habal terminal for Balantak Falls, Basey, Western Samar
A fairly new hut and open on the sides, so I asked them what it is. And they said it's a waiting shed. So I asked who would wait here since I already knew there are no commuter jeeps in this place. And it led to my asking another question - "where this road even leads to" as this place looked hintermost to me!

Their answer shocked me with wide-eyed excitement, and all I could think was: "OMG balitaw gad"!

They told me, this "waiting shed" they intend to be used by people going to Balantak Falls, that this is where habal-habal rides can be availed of, reason why there's one present and waiting for passengers!

Wohoa! Of course, I immediately exclaimed I wanted to go and see this Balantak Falls! My driver who was parked just across that hut asked them if we could drive up the road on our own vehicle. These men said we could try but they cautioned us that this road is still very rough. So we dropped the idea.

We dropped the idea of driving up the road, but not the intent of going to see Balantak Falls! Ye yey!
That's my driver riding (as passenger) on a habal-habal. Yep, I had to take him along. Protocol daw :(

And here I was, on my own habal-habal after them. Oops where am I? It's only the habal-habal driver!
I was on ground walking when I took this pic. That manong asked me to get off the ride (and walk) for him to negotiate this kind of road all the way to that coconut tree at upper-left. They call this "unload"!

Okay lang, it was not a very long walk. But ascending ha?! And why is it that my driver (previous photo above) was not asked to "unload" by his habal-habal driver? Mabug-at (heavy) daw, and bike namin :(

After 6 minutes (probably 4 or 5 kilometers up that rough and tumble road), we reached this...
So we arrived (the blue arrow going inside). Did you know I did not even see that "welcome signage"?! I just took that pic as we turned right. When I reviewed my photos, I saw that "welcome" (red arrow)!

Now now... if the blue arrow is to Balantak Falls, so what is up ahead that road? Ah, I'll tell you later!

Meanwhile.., here's the tourism building for Balantak Falls administration (yes, me ganun)...
tourism building at Balantak Falls, Brgy. Rawis, Basey, Western Samar
Hmm, considering everything that I saw back at their barangay's central area, I would say this building is bigger than their barangay hall, therefore, probably even the biggest edifice in the whole barangay!

This is where you pay your dues, get briefed about the falls, and see other information...
Balantak Falls information
Balantak Falls contact numbers and other information
Those things are just taped (scattered, or is it splattered? hehe) to the glass walls of the building!

Oops wait! I could see in those many things posted on the glass wall that Balantak Falls is a "hidden paradise" in Barangay Rawis. Awk! So, we were not anymore in Barangay Guirang? Well, so be it hehe! But as far as my map and list of places in Basey (yes I have, for my projects) there is no Brgy Rawis!

Onwards a few meters, there is this other smaller structure that I wondered what for...
Ah, toilets, shower rooms, separate for males and females. I smiled realizing that this is like at beach resorts. Only that, here, what you visit (plunge into or get wet with) is not the sticky salty sea but fresh and cool mountain water. So I wondered ano ang babanlawin mo! Well okay, that is still nice to have!

By the way, both habal-habal drivers accompanied us to the falls. They served as our guides - not that there is anything serious to be guided with, since we just had to follow the well defined and clear path.

By the way too, this shower building was closed, and we were told there's no running water in there.
In my mind I said "hindi ba obvious, ayan o, ni walang gripo"! Oh well... our government! Anything new?

Anyway, about 4 minutes of leisurely walking a very slightly downward path we reached this...
It's nothing but a brook (sapa) to me. But my habal-habal pilot told me that is Falls No. 1. Really now?! But in fairness, for picnic or frolic purposes, this place has potential. He told me, that area behind the wall or dam-like structure will become a swimming pool. Hmm, not hard to imagine it should be good!

Here's a closer look at the cascading water in the above photo, and this is called Falls No. 1
Although it doesn't at all attract me in any way, I could imagine, this will be a wonderful place for kids, once that pool materializes. Big, tall, rampaging water won't be safe nor fun for children anyway, right?

And this is Falls No. 2... Saan? Ayun sa dulo! 'Wag kang choosy, falls daw yan, ano ba?!!
Well, just like Fall No. 1 above, this place does not at all look like a "waterfalls" to me, but I can already discern how good a place this will become when those dams/gates are closed and the pools emerge.

Here's another view of the same Falls No. 2 as above... if my imagination is correct, maganda sya!
Look at our two habal-habal drivers, they already enjoy walking around as if in a resort, oh ha?! Maybe to avoid a false impression as it had on me, just don't call them "Falls 1" and "Falls 2" especially when all the planned infrastructure are done. I think "pools" as in Swimming Pools 1 and 2 would be better!

Okay here's another view of the same "Falls No. 2" that looks like a very nice natural pool really...
Imagine that the water level is (already) higher and the 'real' swimming pool emerges. Mahusay mana!

Did you notice the little stairs with bamboo railing that go near the top of the cascading water?

Those are the very few and low steps that you have take, for you to finally arrive to see this...
And I excitedly exhaled saying "yan ang Balantak Falls"! Can you see it? At the end beyond the foliage!

Look at the first picture at the very top of this article. I think that was my best capture!

Here is another "full shot" of its entire height, when I got nearer...
full view of Balantak Falls, Brgy. Rawis, Basey, Western Samar
I thought this waterfall would have been ideal for photo-ops, but, like many others, this is also too tall! I mean you cannot really make the whole waterfall as clear and full background because it's too high!

While Balantak Falls might look short and thin from a distance, no it is not. Just look here...
Balantak Falls, Brgy. Rawis, Basey, Western Samar
That's only about half of the waterfall height, but compare it to the height of my habal-habal driver, he looks small! Can't see him? Blue shirt at right! I followed him, we went underneath the 'drop'! Malakas!

Oh I think you will agree with me that this below is a good "underwater shot"...
clear and cool water at the natural pool under Balantak Falls in Basey Samar
That is how clear the water is, in the surrounding areas. My habal-habal driver said they even drink the water here. But I did not try. I am not that adventurous with things I ingest to my stomach. Ayaw, hehe!

That's it pusit! But let's put the video here...,

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

N.B.
When we were out of the Balantak Falls tourism building, I was still curious about that road leading to wherever, so I walked a few meters of it onwards just to see what might be there. And I was not at all disappointed! Why? Because I stumbled upon a wider road that was also still under construction, not yet paved, but (I think) could already be used by motorbikes, and was guarded by a uniformed man with a long rifle. Kulba! He told me he was from the Army Engineering Brigade and they were making a bypass road that would soon connect Basey to Maydolong via these mountains. Hmm, promising!


Post a Comment

0 Comments