Panglao International Airport: Departure


Departure time from Bohol Panglao International Airport. I was on my way to Davao.

As seen in the previous story, getting off the public bus from Alona Beach, I looked left and saw this:
departure and arrival curbside of the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport where the bus stops
That far end is the arrival area (which I already talked about a few days ago). Across that (left edge of photo) is where you'll find the public bus going to Alona Beach, all the way to Tagbilaran's city center.

I could see there's a public toilet between arrivals and departures (door near the woman in red shirt). Good that there is such a thing there, because that is an 'important necessity' - for passengers or not!

Then I looked right, which was rather empty (I should've trained the camera a bit more to the right)!
departure curbside of the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport where the bus stops
Wouldn't it be better if that expanse of a red floor had benches (at-least), for well-wishers to sit on? I mean look, there are people sitting on the crash rails (metallic tubes where the floor and wall meets).

In fact, I wish the middle of the entire length of that red floor could be fitted with Abueva Benches. Ah those benches will not only be a very useful installation. They would also be a showcase of greatness!

Do you know why? Well, that kind or style of world-famous 'chair' or 'bench' was created by not just a National Artist, but a Boholano pride - Napoleon Abueva - the Father of Modern Philippine Sculpture.

A stylish native-looking rendition of practical utility - that would fit nicely in that bare space, di ba?

Anyway, I looked in front of me, which was already the departure area bottleneck. Entrance I mean!
departure entrance of the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
Ehem, if you're a frequent air traveler, you'd agree with me: that 'TV screen' does not belong up there. It should be somewhere to the side, either side, which there already are, thus, it should be removed!

Look at those people looking up. Their doing so, even for mere milliseconds, already adds to the slow movement of people entering the terminal. And for any or all passengers, that is not a place and time to check your flight details! Look at that previous photo above, there are monitors there. Check there!

I eventually got in anyway, and as always, no pictures at the x-ray machines, as I only have two hands, busy with placing my belongings on the machine, then retrieving them. Besides, I already know, those people manning the security check areas do not like us taking pictures and videos of them. Alams na!

They will prevent you from shooting photos or videos at their area, on the guise of "security reasons". I just mutely say 'utot nyo, ayaw nyo lang ma-record kung me kabulastugan o kapalpakan kayo dyan'.

Ganun yon! There had been many cases at NAIA, of x-ray security personnel doing varied malpractices to passengers, remember? Yeah, some of them went on nternational news like the "laglag bala" thing.

So for me, and it should be also for you: instead of trying to shoot a pic or video, mag-ingat at maging mapag-masid when you're in these x-ray security check areas. We wouldn't know what they'll do next.

As one friend says... Malay natin, baka kasama sa training nila yan. Magaling sila manlinlang eh!

So I went the few steps to the check-in counters... and voila I saw them for the first time! Yehey!
PAL check-in counters at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
Yes, as said above I was going to Davao on this departure. And it looked like I was too early, especially that I already did my web-check-in. But you already know why, right? So I have time to snoop around!

Counters 10 and 11 were for their flight to Incheon. Only two counters? Hmm probably the whole flight was for an entire group. When that happens, not all passengers have to queue for check-in. Only their group leaders (travel agency representatives or tour guides) do what airliners call a "Group Check-in".

Counters 12 to 16 are for their PR2272 to Manila, and other counters further are for Air Asia.

Then I looked to my left, which were the Cebu Pacific check-in counters. That, made me recall a joke!
Cebu Pacific check-in counters at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
A joke among my travel friends that says: any Cebu Pacific check-in counter defines the word "chaos"!

But look at that, tahimik at matiwasay naman ah! Syempre kasi wala pang flight, wala pang tao heheh!

What actually surprises me is why Cebu Pacific seems to have fallen back to that zigzagging "one-line" method at their check-in areas. At NAIA 3, they've stopped that (attempted!) sometime in 2010 or 2011.

Yet as we see on those yellow tapes, the zigzag lines (that usually extend outside their check-in area) are back, even at new airports like Panglao. Which, are not comfortable nor convenient to passengers.

If you have been flying with them, you will readily know what I mean. You join a very looong line of all their passengers on ALL their flights checking-in at that time. So, you have to keep inching a long way.

Why make us toe a line zigzagging for 20 meters when it can just be a straight 20 feet? If their checkin agents are slow, it is still better for us to stand in wait than keep nudging every minute for 20 meters!

I know the younger ones agree with me on this - so they can concentrate on their "mobile legends" as they stand still in wait! The business people also agree - so they can do something else (browse their emails or online news) while waiting stationary. It's so irritating that you keep moving inch by f****ng inch for about an hour or even more! Damn excruciating. Da! Sabi yan ng friend kong "conyo" hehehe!

They probably have a reason for doing it? Yes they do - nagtitipid, sacrificing passenger comfort.

Instead of using the standard number of manned check-in coutners "per flight", they only deploy 2 or 3 for so many. These 2 or 3 people can be slow. They may even stand to rest or leave the counters. Yet it still appears no passenger is left hanging, since we still keep inching albeit slowly in the zigzag line.

That's the advantage to them. It's only for their own comfort and convenience, not for the passengers.

Now, maybe the authorities are not even aware of this: having a zigzag line to any check-in counter is actually an insult to the designer, makers, owners and management of an airport. It portrays that the check-in counters were not properly designed/made, that is why airliners resort to doing zigzag lines.

Oks lang yata sa authorities, na kabago-bago ng airport nila, mukhang me gusot na. That's the effect!

Here's more: it's not as if Cebu Pacific has so many flights that depart from this airport altogether that they have to resort to a single "snake line". For a full A320, having just two counters, each with its own line of passengers, is normal. So, why make us follow a zigzagging line? Baka makukupad ang tao nila!

Haay enough! Ranting na yan hahaha! I know I have touched on those zigzagging lines in my previous blog entries. Search nyo na lang please! Or, I will do an entire blog article just about them. Sige, soon!

Let's proceed!

After the check-in counters, we have to walk to the left to be able to enter the pre-departure areas.
hallway from check-in counters to security check at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
Oops no no no, not straight to that small door ahead kung di ka naman naiihi o natatae hehe! CR yan. After walking to your left from the check-in counters, turn right where those people are, and look up!

By looking up you see big signage (ewan kung mawala ka pa) - left if going abroad, right if domestic!
entrance to the security check areas of the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
Those are the final security check (x-ray) areas divided by a glass wall for international and domestic.

There's a Terminal Fee Counter! My golly, there still are tickets nowadays that don't include them?
terminal fee counter at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
I would think there are just a few now. Look, there was even no one transacting with that counter. And oh if you're goin abroad, what follows (behind them) are the Immigration Counters (Passport Control).

As for me who was going on a domestic flight to Davao, I already reached the pre-departure area.
domestic passenger departure lounge for gates 8 and 9 at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
My boarding pass said Boarding at 1155H, eh it was only 1131H, I still had time to roam around. Leshgo!

The big signs up the ceiling says this common area is for Gates 8 and 9, and upstairs are Gates 3 to 7.
domestic passenger departure lounge for gates 8 and 9 at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
So this area here (look left, a flight has started boarding), is for what they call the "Bus Gates" (Gates 8 and 9). We have discussed what "bus gates" are before, right? But there's no harm repeating that:

A bus gate is a boarding gate for flights that use smaller planes, where it is not possible for passenger boarding to use the airport's aerobridge - passengers are hauled by bus or made to walk to the plane.

Well, an exception would be the yellow and red airlines. They also use bus gates even for their Airbus A320 planes, to avoid the high aerobridge-usage charges of an airport. Keber kung inconvenient sayo!

Budget airline nga eh. Titipirin lahat, umulan at umaraw man. Tandaan: mura ang ticket mo. Ganun!

This is Gate 9, where my flight was to be boarded. The little plane just arrived (right edge of picture)!
domestic passenger departure lounge for gates 8 and 9 at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
Not clear in the photo, but if you look closely, you will see arriving passengers walking from my plane (extreme right of pic) to the arrival area (far beyond left edge of photo). I smiled telling my handsome self "aha, LATA (late arrival of turnaround aircraft), that means late boarding, so more time to explore"!

And explore I did! 1st target: I promised my self to see whatever is upstairs. So I went up. Tara let's go!
stairs, escalator and elevator leading to second level of at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
I really like those big letters and numbers in airport signage. They're generally the same in many new airports. I guess it must be a 'standard' or a 'GAP' (Generally Accepted Practice). It's very "airport-like"!

And oh yes, I like that combination of "stairs-escalator-elevator" all beside each other. Sorry lang, the elevator is to the left though not in that pic. Natabunan nung poste eh! But that's modern inclusivity! There's something for everyone! Whatever is convenient for you, it's there. Sana meron din slide ano?!

Hehehe, it's okay to dream (or is that hallucinate?)! Di ba sa Google Headquarters they have a slide?!

Okay, let's stop dreaming. I went up via the escalator, and I took these shots as I ascended!
view of ground level departure lounge from the escalator leading to second level of the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
stairs, escalator and elevator leading to second level at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
view of ground level departure lounge from the escalator leading to second level of the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
It looks airy nice to me. I don't know (yet) if it's true that this building does not extensively utilize air-conditioning, but I can tell you, it is not at all uncomfortable. Not freezing cold, but comfortably cool!

Reaching the upper floor, I immediately noticed the ceiling is rather too low than most new airports.
gate 7 departure lounge of the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
I assure you, it's not as dark to the naked eye than how my phone's camera recorded it. I learned from basic photography class that my lens shouldn't face a light source, as the photo will become too dark. That's what occured in that pic. Eh, I even liked it that just natural ambient light illuminates the place.

Basta, beleive me, it is not uncomfortably dark. It's just the camera (I think)!

Now now... this is Gate 7. You should see the door and the gate's desk (the blue thing) for airline staff.
gate 7 departure lounge of the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
Where does it say that that is Gate 7? Ah eh.., at the upper left corner of the TV screen! Hahaha! Didn't I just say that I loved the big numbers and letters in this airport's signage? Ay ambot na! Kinapos yata!

Yeah yeah, kinapos na mag-isip si designer, kasi puro glass nga naman sa taas hehehe. Pero kung ako lang, I'll put the big gate numbers on that pinkish pillar-like thing (ano nga ba yan aircon?), kesa wala!

They surely won't put anything on that pink wall since it is temporary. How did I know? Wheh, tingnan mo na lang where the panels meet. Plywood lang yan, and haphazardly installed. Meaning temporary.

So, if that wall is temporary, there is probably an unfinished portion beyond there - that looks exactly like what's already exposed (glass wall too), therefore, no place to put lovely big numbers and letters!

Therefore sablay si designer (shhh 'wag na nating Englishin, hapon yata nag-design ng building na'to)! Baka bawiin kung bigay nila yan, o baka singilin ng buo kung utang pa yan na 15-30 ang hulog hahaha!

Hara ka, hara kiri, sabray ka interior designer ka, wara maragyan geyt nambar! Ahhihihi!

Shhh, behave PT, behave!

Oist, kayo mga architect at interior designer dyan, kesa maki-halakhal kayo sakin, pag-isipan yan!

Let's proceed. Kasasampa ko lang sa escalator, ang haba na ng harakiri, ay, aw, komentaryo natin!
gates 7 and 6 departure lounges of the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
There! I really thought that was just a hallway. But no, it is not, and yes, it is! Ha? Samoka ba? It is like this kasi: the whole group of chairs on the right (I counted, there are exactly 80 of them) comprises na pala, the 'passenger holding area' (waiting lounge) of Gate 7. Ha? Paktaylo! Unsa na ni oi? Nabuang na!

Eh, the capacity of an Airbus A320/A321 usually used by PAL, Cebu Pacific and Air Asia ranges from 180 to 230 passengers. Unya kay ochenta ra man ning Gate 7! Same number of seats at the far end, Gate 6!

Add those seats of the two gates, if an Airbus is full, kulang pa rin juiceko guino-o kong maloloy-on!

But as I told my self, I now also tell you... relaaaks my friends, relaaks, as in calma lang mo oi! Breathe in, breathe out! I surmised (I hope I was right), that whole upstairs setup was just for 'showtime'. Pang pakitang-tao lang but not actually in use yet! Because they have just inaugurated 6 days ago. Ganern!

I even doubted the practicality of all those seats facing the "views" outside through the glass door. It only affirms that the upstairs setup nga is bogus. Eschapeyk! Aru, what kind of airline will like such an arrangement, where the waiting passengers are facing away from their gate's counter? As in all seats?!

Stop me as in tigilan nyo nga ako hahaha! But nice-try. Di halatang pang-showtime lang hehe!

On another note, I noticed there are so many of those pinkish pillar-like things. They are not building posts. They're not even concrete. I think aircon nga ang mga iyan, as I asked above! But I'm not sure if those are just fans or something with thermostat. I guess it's the latter. Similar to the ones at MNL T2.

Anyway, I hope that water dispenser and trash bin are also temporary. They're so very "in the middle"! Did you notice that? See the pic above again there's a man leaning on the railing behind the trashcan.

Di ba? Bakit naman nasa halos gitna ng daanan si tubig?

Oh, speaking of that water dispenser... I went to curiously look closely due to some interesting things!
drinking water dispenser at gate 7 departure lounge of the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
First, the disposable paper cups. A whole stack is just on top of the jug. That's probably another proof that this 2nd floor area is not yet being used for flights. Why? How do those paper cups relate to that?

Simple lang. If those 2nd floor gates (6 and 7) were aleady operational, we should never ever have the chance to see a full stack of cups. Why? Because dahil sapagkat kinulimbat na dapat ng pasahero yan!

Sorry folks, so far, ganun kababa ang tiwala ko sa mga kapwa nating madlang public hehehe !

Actually seriously, this being a new airport, I would have expected it to be something like this (at MNL T2), or this (at CEB T2) and placed somewhere at a recessed wall without risk of being accidentally run over by rushing passengers and/or staff, and/or the carefree and careless little ones romping around.

But I will hold my rants for now, because I already know, everything on this floor is still temporary. It's not really finished 'to a T' yet. They just made it look ready-to-rumble for the inauguration 6 days ago!

Oh yes oh yes, that foot rag made me smile! Parang sa kusina ng mga bahay natin!

But that nearby silvery gadget amazed me. Of course I went near it and discovered that it is actually a weighing scale! And it is even the electronic type (you can see the white power cord dangling). Sosyal!

Yet I had to ask my self "what-for at this point in a passenger's travel odyssey" hehe! You are way past check-in and only waiting for your flight's boarding call, what else do you need to weigh here & now?!

Palaisipan! But I 'perched' on it anyway, and learned I was 73kgs. OMG 2kgs short of my ideal weight!

Hey I saw a comfort room and went in just to see what/how is it in there, this being a new facility.
toilet at departure lounge of the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
Nothing to call home about! But it's clean with a lingering floral scent that does not 'attack' my sneezy nosetrils. Yet, as you can see, the floor looks yucky with that 'cloudy' pink and red design. Bad choice!

Aw, if I compare that to this, layo ra kaayo oy!

50 minutes to departure, no boarding call yet, but I opted to start my way back downstairs anyway.
flight schedule screen at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport

I don't know what ever for, but I could see and watch all the waiting passengers of/at Gates 8 and 9.
gates 8 and 9 departure lounge viewed from gate 7 departure lounge of the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport

I went down via the stairs this time. It's been ages since I last used wooden stairs. I like how it 'feels'!
top view of stairs and escalator at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport

This collage is my final glance at the trio of escalator, stairs and elevator. My fave find in this airport!
collage of elevator, stairs and escalator images at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
It's just not (yet) very common to see those three installed side-by-side everywhere in the building.

Still not boarding, I tried my butt on these new chairs. I think the upholstery material is faux-leather.
closeup view of chairs at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
They are comfy-soft than most seats of the same kind or purpose that I have tried at various places.

And I like the shades of yellow to olive to indigo, seemingly randomly used in the myriad of seats.
closeup view of chairs at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
They do match the red (or is that maroon?) color of the floor. But I'm not sure I already like it hehehe!

Maybe I'm just not used to seeing too vivid a primary color for an airport floor. But on the other hand, bakit me batas ba na kelangan gray or white or cream or brown or whatever else ang colors ng sahig?!

Basta ang naaalala ko sa kanya 'floor wax' at 'bunot'! Then again, perhaps that's what the architect of this building wanted to achieve? Whatever! I can say though, that the interiors become a little darker.

Hey wait lang! About those seat upholstery colors. Bakit habang tumatagal eh parang naaalala ko ang isang university sa bandang Loyola Katipunan? No no no no no, No can do! Damihan ang green. Hindi yung sa Taft! Mas dark green dapat, para kumanta ako ng "luntian at pula, sagisag magpakailanman"!

Sugod mga isko iska! Ipaglaban! Palitan yan! Sabay sigaw ng: "u nebersidad, ng pilipinas, u..." hahaha!

Anyway...

At 1148H my flight started boarding! Whah, even if that little plane arrived late at about 1130H?!
passengers boarding at gate 9 of the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport

Sabagay, nakigaya at nahawa na itong si PAL sa budget airlines. No more cabin cleaning tulad ng dati.
passengers boarding at gate 9 of the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport

I opted to board last (my seat was 4D anyway), just so that I could watch this group of passengers.
family with children and a wheelchair-bound passenger outside of gate 9 at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
I wanted to have a closer look at how hard it is walking from the gate to the plane, with little children.

I knew and I know that it's already difficult falling in line when you have children and handcarry items altogether. How much more if you all have to walk on wide open concrete for about a hundred meters to your plane? Parusa! Especially that mothers (females in general), are fond of carrying 'many things'!

Aw, have you heard about that disturbing fact that 99% of women normally carry more than one thing (in their hands or body) when they're out & about? Yep, not just when riding airplanes but 'anywhere'!

I have on my own proven that by observing people. Try it too, it's perplexingly fun! There will normally be a shoulder bag, plus a handbag, a purse, a shopping bag, a sando bag, a backpack etc. etc. idagdag pa ang cellphone! If you try asking them to combine things into one bag or container, they will say no!

The question is: why is it that they are the 'go to' persons when walking with children? Eh ang daming bitbit palagi! But, if you ask any one of them why it is so, their answer would be "okay lang sanay na"!

Back to the picture above.., at least the PAL staff has offered to ferry them via a vehicle (not a bus). At first the children and the father said no, but I chimed in (nakialam nanaman) saying "malayo yan hoi"!

So I started walking to the plane while that group stayed-on to wait for the PAL vehicle to ferry them.
tarmac view of cebu pacific and PAL planes as passengers walk to board at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
That's the smaller airplane at right, one of PAL's Q400 propeller planes, that would take me to Davao.

Oh! A passenger (I'm not sure if part of that family in the pic above) wasn't able to ride the PAL car.
front view of PAL Q400 plane with a wheelchair passenger being pushed at the new Bohol-Panglao International Airport
Can you see him? He's in that wheelchair being pushed by another PAL staff. Can you imagine how the passenger went up the plane? Not easy. I watched it but turned the camera off. Baka magalit. Respect.

I must tell you anyway, that by watching these things happen, is my best way of learning things in and around transport modes. I now know, that boarding PWDs unto planes with no aerobridges is difficult.

Speaking of "aerobridges", can you see that thing at the upper-right-corner of the picture? That is the aerobridge of Gate 7. It is actually that high - level of the upper floor. And, in case you didn't know yet, inside it is one of the safest places of an airport during an earthquake. Why? Ah, it's not concrete and it has wheels (see the pictures above). And usually, there's only one tall structure near it, a light post!

IF sa aerobridge pa babagsak ang steel post na yon at nasa loob ka, hindi na malas ang tawag dyan.

Ang "that means" nyan ay: malamang hina-hunting ka na talaga ni San Pedro! Baka "due date" mo na!

Hahaha simba ko!

Oh, there is one more thing in that last picture above. The red tank with wheels standing on the blue square with a number 7. It has nothng to do with the aircraft nor the passengers nor the entire flight - hopefully! Yes, it's a Ramp Fire Extinguisher. A thing that everyone always hopes would not be of use!

But it's a requirement - that there be one of those at each gate. Always ready but never used - sana!

Next up, my notes on the flight from Panglao Island to Davao City!

Wait for it!

Post a Comment

0 Comments