Bantayan Without A Plan: JUST GO!


This is a continuation of my previous "JUST GO" or "to whom it may concern" story. Here I go...

Arriving at "North Bus" (that's how Cebuanos refer to the Cebu City North Bus Terminal), I realized that aside from a few 'procedural' or 'orderliness' changes, the place is fairly the same, as it had been more than 5 years ago! It was the last time I used this bus terminal going to.... I can't even remember where!

Anyway, I learned that this time, airconditioned buses wait & depart from the right wing of the building (if you were facing the terminal) and non-aircon buses are hubbed at the left side where I first went to.

I said to 'my royal highness' "I feel like airconing today" [translation: I feel like riding the air conditioned buses today]! So, I leisurely walked to that side when drivers & conductors told me about it. Coolness!

Reaching this "right side" of the terminal, I saw two differently colored buses (a red one, and my usual yellow Ceres bus). Both had signboards that said "Hagnaya" - while a white bus, already maneuvering out of the terminal had a signboard that say "Bantayan"! Thus, my fate was sealed, I went to Hagnaya!

Yes Hagnaya, then crossing to Bantayan Island. I stuck with my rule of the day - the first bus that I see is it! Yep, where it goes, I go. Eh, I saw 3, and all of them were going to Hagnaya, therefore... Bantayan!

That's why I'm here now, writing my memoirs. And that ends the full story of my previous blog entry.

Okay, good night!

Oops! Yeah, I promised I'll tell you my story of that Cebu City to Bantayan Trip. Alright, so here we go...

Without even checking the name, I hopped-on to the yellow bus, which, I could not be mistaken, was a Ceres. I'm just so familiar with the color. Plus, the driver was waving at me! Only Ceres drivers do that!

Aside from being generally jolly enthusiastic, Ceres drivers help their bus conductors in calling out for passengers. I've even been wondering if they get extra money when a bus gets full? That, I don't know (yet) the answer of. Because with other buses, drivers just sit waiting, until it's time for them to go. Da!

Beside this Ceres bus that I took, the red one (Autobus) was a bigger, newer and better-looking model also bound for Hagnaya, but I have been too used and trusting of Ceres so I went for 'yellow as usual'!

Out of curiosity, I asked what company was the 'white bus' that just left. "Ceres pud" said our driver. I learned that those white buses named Cebu Transit or Sugbo Transit are also theirs - Vallacar Transit!

See? I learned some new things - even before the bus left! Travel is education/al!

You know what? I did not even pause to think about what I might do in Bantayan, where should I stay, and all those things associated with 'traveling'. It was probably because at the back of my mind I was saying "been there, done that". I got busier asking driver and conductor, of things I was curious about!

Like what? Like "why the white bus that just left had electronic signboard that said "Bantayan" when it is an island far from mainland Cebu. I even said "hello, don't tell me there is already a bridge that far"!

And they told me, indeed the 'white bus' was going to Bantayan Island! They (Vallacar Transit), and/or other bus/van companies now have regularly scheduled services, that go straight to the island, via the RORO vessels, that we passengers have long been riding, to cross from mainland to Bantayan Island!

Whoa, that was new to me. But glad I was getting updated!

As if on cue, or probably as if to tell me I was not paying that much attention to my surroundings, they pointed to me a big tarpaulin on the terminal's wall - the schedule of the direct bus to Bantayan Island. Lovely I said, but how stupid of me not noticing that big tarp signage right in front of the bus hahaha!

Teka, nostalgia muna...

First time I have been to this island was ah eh... probably more than a decade ago. And hey, I was with a platoon of officemates (we were all from Manila then). And that time, we called it a group adventure!

After catching an evening flight to Cebu from Manila, we rode a bus at about 3am going to Hagnaya - I guess it was also a Ceres -wala pang aircon nun! It was uncomfy for me, kasi "Manila boy" pa ako nun hehe! Oh yes, I was still a corporate whatever then, living and thriving in a wild urban jungle of thieves!

Thieves as in mga kawatan? Yeah, even the MMDA and all imaginable government agency robs you of your sanity when living in Metro Manila. O, "rob" so kawatan di ba? But I only saw how bad a life it was when I left the national economic political capital of the Philippines! Eh ganyan yata talaga ang urban!

Imagine, there were times (years actually) when travel from home (Fairview) to work (Makati) took me 3 hours. My gaaash! Where does 3 hours take you in Cebu? Well, to Hagnaya for one hahaha! Yea, the port where we ride the ROROs to Bantayan Island, which was what I was doing this time - dayoff lang!

Oops! I now remember that wasn't my most memorable visit to Bantayan. The "Suroy-suroy Sa Sugbo" was. They toured us around the 3 municipalities of Sta Fe, Bantayan and Madredejos. I wonder if that kind of tour is still on? It was (for me) the best tour activity offered by any local government unit, ever!

Enough of the nostalgia. Back to my bus ride this morning! [ang dami bang liku-liko ng kwento ko?]

Driver looked familiar and when I clambered up his bus he excitedly said "kumusta na sir, long time no see, da vacant pa tanan ang front seat"! Whoah, so I took my 'favorite position', right side window seat, and front-most of course! I didn't check, but this seat would usually be 1E, since left side would be the 3-seater 1ABC. And, I placed my backpack on 1D, hoping no one would be interested to sit beside me!

Bus was just about half full, and I thought it was ironic that no one bothered to take interest on any of the 5 front seats. Good for me! Conductor even sat on 1C behind the driver. So kwentuhan all the way!

I do recall (btw), that many Cebuanos associate front seats with 'danger' - one conductor told me that long time ago. That was probably the time when Cebu had so many bus accidents (Ceres especially).

Then again, I am aware too, that many people don't choose front row seats, since they don't like being asked to transfer to other available seats when elderly or PWD passengers join the ride along the way.

Thus, even for that, I already said this was a wonderful day!

My first "argh!" moment came just as our bus got out of the terminal. You guessed it, traffic! Yes, Cebu already experiences heavy vehicle traffic these days, as if catching up with Metro Manila's rush hours!
collage of ceres bus ticket and a scene in umapad mandaue during morning rush hour
I said "argh" alright, but (shhh), arte lang yun! I wasn't really bothered by the vehicle crawl. I caught my self even savoring the ant-like pace of vehicles going out of Mandaue! I've been away from urbanities for quite a time now, so I guess I enjoyed "re-experiencing" trapik again hehe! It's still bearable in Cebu.

We left at exactly 0830H, and the bus was still around Umapad Mandaue at 0856H. That, was almost 30 minutes traversing a mere 6 or 7 kilometers. But, the hot-headed me, was not at all upset this time! Maybe I've been in the Yolanda ruins for too long now, I somehow missed going crazy in traffic heheh!

At 9:17am, bus was just passing by the 'Lacion' welcome arch! Gosh 'no? But I felt I was on a holiday!
ceres bus entering the town of consolacion, Cebu
That arch, by the way, is memorable to me. I'm just not sure if I mentioned it in this blog or elsewhere.

That's the very place where I said motorcyclists from Mandaue would "stop, remove their helmets, and continue driving". The reverse was true, where "riders from Consolacion, Liloan or farther north, would "stop, wear helmets, then enter Mandaue". Mga tarantado! They thought of helmets as for compliance only, not for their safety. That was when the helmet law was enforced only in Mandaue and Cebu City.

I hope it has already changed.

9:22AM, the bus was just approaching SM Consolacion. That was 5 minutes for about 1.5 kilometers!
northbound ceres bus caught in traffic near SM Consolacion
Still a crawl, but I didn't mind. I was nostalgic looking here and there as the bus went by. Aba, although I seldom visit, I'm still officially a resident of V&G Consolacion. Still familiar with these neighborhoods!

At 9:34AM, still crawling but a little faster, this time beside the Liloan town hall, fronting the church!
ceres bus approaching the Liloan church before making a sharp left turn
That was 12 minutes for about 5 kilometers. Yet, I was almost thankful we were running very slow!

Why? Because this town is my "future home" - that I can't yet visit as often as I would like to. I only see it more frequently from the air, like here, here and here! Oh well, all I could do this time, was look to the right from that corner, as if my gaze could teleport me, 3 kilometers to my little yuta by the lighthouse!

Anyway and hmmm, after Liloan the roads started to clear, and, my bus started flying along the way!
ceres bus near the Danao City gateway mall and wharf going to camotes islands
At 1002H, we were already by the entrance to the Port of Danao City, where boats to or from Camotes Islands dock! That was probably 15 or so kilometers. So, running at about 60kph.., okay na, pwede na!

Hey, look at the right edge of that picture above. I just accidentally caught in my picture, the signboard saying "this way to Camotes Islands". Hm, because I've seen that, I think I now already miss Camotes.

That area of Danao City has seen a lot of development, I must say. I remember that corner, years ago, was just a nice park-like tree-lined place, where I think some kind of a rural health center was located. Now there's a mall (in photo is Sands Gateway Mall) and another one further ahead (Gaisano Metro?).

After 14 minutes, we entered the bus stop at Carmen. Yup, past the town center of Carmen, Cebu.
ceres bus entering the "bastap", a meal stop in Carmen, Cebu
This place has long been a customary bus stop for Ceres buses plying the northern Cebu routes. Even if buses can now virtually fly on the road, even if your bus is a point-to-point or non-stop service (such as the aircon buses), and even if you're not hungry, they make a stop here! They call this a "meal stop".

I'm guessing, this place is only about 40kms (or less) from 'north bus terminal'). If you are not hungry, just chillax or bum around the place for some 20 minutes (the stop duration). It is important that your driver eat their meals on time, or else... aba, mas mahirap kung mangisay yan while driving. You like?

Some passengers do also eat full meals at the eatery inside. For the rest of us who do not want-to, or need-to, make this a "snack break", "bladder break", "yosi break" and so on. This is just "halfway there"!

On this particular break, my curiosity was drawn by this...
peanut vendors at the "bastap", a meal stop in Carmen, Cebu

Two manangs selling peanuts - some cooked (roasted with or without oil), some uncooked!
peanut vendors at the "bastap", a meal stop in Carmen, Cebu

I just enjoyed talking to them.., hearing if they earn well.., how they make their products, and so on.
peanut vendor at the "bastap", a meal stop in Carmen, Cebu

This is part of what they produce.., peanuts being sun-dried right in front of where they sit!
peanut being sun dried at the "bastap", a meal stop in Carmen, Cebu

Well this oldie with sheep-like hair was resting silently on the side, also invited my curiosity.
askal, a dog with thick sheep-like fur at the "bastap", a meal stop in Carmen, Cebu

Others came when they saw me taking pics. There's a reason why this "chinggu's" left hand is like so!
korean tourist looking at the askal curiously, due to its thick sheep-like fur
Why? Eh, I almost shouted saying 만지지 마세요 hahaha! He was about to touch the head of that dog, eh even if it looks cute old and sober, aba askal pa rin yan di ba? Eh kung sinakmal sya, baka ma-delay pa ang bus namin! Surprised (alarmed, I think) he quickly withdrew his hand and placed it on his chin!

Actually, (I think) even the dog was surprised, because it looked up at me (parang inirapan yata ako)!
And when that k-pop kid went to the 'CR', nihawa pud sya oi! Ayun, basking under the sun, probably to shed ticks off him! No, hindi nagtampo at magpapatiwakal ang sigbin na yan! It's the side of the road!

The manangs told me he is very calm and sober "dog of the bastap". And his name is... Blackie!

Wait... did I just say "bastap"? Yes, I did! That's how locals named this place - officially!
That is how true-blue bisdaks pronounce the phrase "bus stop" anyway. It's cleverly cute and catchy!

Here's a look at my bus, virtually devoid of passengers as most of us went down to at least stretch...
And oh yes, that handsome big guy had been watching me take pics of the dog and all. I just stuck my tongue out once, and we became friends! Note: I asked the mom if I can post this pic, she said "ok ra"!

Here's a wonderful sight that I have never focused my attention in previous visits to Catmon, Cebu.
Let me call it the "Bibingka Boulevard"! About a kilometer-long (or longer?) row of roadside little stalls, ALL selling the famous "bibingka" of Catmon, Cebu. Locals call it "Bibingkahan Sa Catmon". Amazing!

Just look at how small every stall is. They're uniformly made in that same size, and the same distance from each other. Then, stretch that scene to about one kilometer long (and growing?). Mind-boggling!

When I say mind-boggling, try this: it's your first time to buy 'bingka', where do you stop your car in this almost-a-kilometer span of road? Alangan namang you buy from each and every stall. Makabuang oi!

For the business or economics enthusiasts and students, this place should be one fantastic study on "agglomeration principle" (or phenomenon?) and/or "agglomeration economics"! What advantage/s or disadvantage/s does this pose to the vendors? How about to us the consumers, how does that affect our decision-making whether to stop, or buy, or even eat bibingka of Catmon at all? Interesting, isn't it?

That bibingka boulevard, by the way, starts about 4kms before entering Catmon's town center if you're coming from the city, and all of them are just on the left side of the hi-way, across a beach resort row.

Then we were in Bogo City at 12:05NN. I liked this ad/signage that says "fb" (it's not facebook hehe)
That's an ad of Fortune Bay Hotel which isn't even in Bogo. It's in the town of Tabuelan, some 30 or so kilometers to the southwest from Bogo. But nice of them to advertise here as this is a 'jump-off point'.

A number of my fellow bus passengers got off here.., this is one of the residential areas of Bogo City.
Other than the meal stop at Carmen's "bastap", this was the only time the bus stopped along the way.

Ah, this should be a good time to tell you of an interesting quirk among air-conditioned bus services in the country. They come in varied names and/or conditions, such as "Non-stop", "Express" or "De Luxe", or many other names. Their main difference with "ordinary" (non-aircinditioned) service is the number of stops (if any) along the way. My ride was an example. It took only passengers to Bogo or Hagnaya.

But it was supposed to be a "non-stop service"! So, it was not literally non-stop. Yeah, almost all buses are like that. So if you are really truly in a hurry, it would be best to always ask before buying a ticket at the origin station, or carelessly hailing and hopping onto a passing bus! Even if signage say 'non-stop'.

Bus owners/operators may not necessarily know it, but, it's an accepted/tolerated practice, where bus drivers of these "non-stop" or "express" trips do make a stop or 2 or 3, or even more. All for the money!

Rest assured though, in most cases, those are as planned by the owners/operators. And, they are not really that much of a difference in terms of travel time consumed. Like in the above example, Cebu to Hagnaya trip is "non-stop", but accepts passengers to Bogo and/or San Remigio - places that are near the final destination (Hagnaya). But also, won't stop to pickup just anybody along the way. Ganun yun!
It's not even just a practice among buses. The UV Express vans also do it. For example: a van plies the Ormoc-Tacloban route; you're going only to Palo; they'll take you, but you pay an Ormoc-Tacloban fare.

Anyway, on this trip, my bus stayed a bit longer at Bogo Central Terminal, so I caught a "yosi break"!
I like the geographic position of this terminal. It is like an interchange station for passengers going to, or coming from various areas in northern Cebu. There are even rides from here to the Polambato Port.

Oh, Polambato Port I said? The usual way for many is getting their ride from the highway going there.
Yes, that corner. There usually are tricycles and/or motorcycles (habal-habal) waiting for commuters at that corner. That is still more than two, probably even three kilometers going to the Polambato Port.

For us travelers, Polambato Port should be noteworthy. Why? Because it is a very convenient gateway on the northern area of Cebu. There are boats (mainly the RORO type) that go to Masbate (Cataingan, Cawayan, etc.), Leyte (Palompon, Villaba, San Isidro, etc.). Oh so that is where the Ceres from Cebu to Tacloban passes! Hey I even heard of Calbayog, Matnog, Bulan, Estancia and Batangas. More options!

Finally, at 12:35NN, my bus arrived at the Hagnaya Port, and I immediately went to buy my boat ticket.
I caught the 1:30PM trip of Island Shipping. Where does it say in the ticket? Wala dyan, nasa dingding naka-paskel hahah! I know that's not a good or proper ticketing process, but that's just how they do it!

It is just more of a receipt, right? The 'tiketera' does not write anything on it - just get's your 180 pesos payment. We all know "the drill", authorities will check how wrong that is, pag meron nang masamang nangyari na hindi nila ma-solve dahil walang mga pangalan ang ticket. Not even the voyage numbers!

Note: you also go to another counter for these other 'payables' (terminal fee and whatever else)...
Keep those tinny-winnie little bits of paper, as you will need to show them to the port staff later, during boarding. Those are really "documentary stamps" masquerading as "official receipts". Mga impostor!

Anyway, let's do a little recap, it takes about 4 hours from Cebu's North Bus Terminal to Hagnaya.

Then I had to wait about an hour for the RORO to go. No problem, I caught lunch at one of the eateries beside the port's terminal building - sorry no pictures, as I used both hands to eat puso, buwad, inasal!

I wondered though, as I haven't experienced it yet, at this span of time waiting for the RORO's boarding call, where do the bus passengers wait? I mean those who take the direct ride all the way to Bantayan. Maybe they just stay in their bus since those are loaded first? How unfortunate of them, no yosi break!

But here's the 'waiting lounge' anyway. Nice watching fellow passengers while they also wait to board.

Oh, when boarding (walking to the RORO) mainit ang araw. Will definitely get you soaked too if it rains!

I also observed, PWDs and/or seniors with limited mobility don't receive any assistance. Kanya-kanya!

I wonder if anyone is wheelchair-bound. How do they make those passengers go up the stairs?

This is how LCT Island Venture I  (the vessel we rode on) looks like, during boarding.
I was surprised passengers were boarded first before motorbikes, trucks or buses. The usual way I'm familiar with is that 'vehicles are loaded way before people'. Maybe there were few vehicles this time.

Anyway, once I was up at the passenger sitting areas, I looked around the wonderful noontime views.
Hagnaya Port is inside Hagnaya Bay. That land mass on the opposite side is probably Medillin, Cebu.

Actual pushback was at 12:39NN. so I said Bantayan here we come! I did a short departure video:

And so we arrived, disembarked from the RORO, and started on the long walk to paradise. Haayszt!
Good it now has a covered walk. Aba, that's about 400 meters that you have to walk, just to get out!

But before I entered the covered walkway, I looked at that end of the island -- I know that place!
And I told My Royal Highness... "you are going to Kota Beach and enjoy your day off... NOW NA"!

So okay, I went to Kota Beach nga... But let's talk about it in my next story!

Post a Comment

0 Comments