Ensaymada [Ensaimada] Abbreviated


On the way to Tacloban from some hinter town we passed by a bank's ATM in Palo Leyte. Somewhere nearby, on that row of establishments, is a branch of Panny's Bakeshop, where one of my companions also dropped-by to pick a number of pastries for our afternoon 'meryenda' in the office. And I saw this:
Especially that the packs had the 'ensaymada' positioned where they are placed sideway, I got curious what 'ensay' meant in one of those product/price tags. So I asked and the girl said "ah ensaimada sir"!

I don't know if there's any right or wrong abbreviation for the name of this delectable "daily bread" that seem to keep evolving through the years! It was "ensaimada", now "ensaymada", shortened to "ensay"!

Whatever nomenclature it asssumes in the coming years, I'll still say, this pastry is always delectable.

Hey, I'm no foodie. I'm just your mere simple Pinoy Traveler who's perennially on a "seefood diet" - that means "when I see food, I eat"! But, at times, I do get curious about names of food and how they look.

For example "The Ensaymada". Bow!

It was originally named "Ensaimada" and it came from Mallorca (or Majorca) in the Balearic Islands of Spain, probably baked here by the colonizers, copied by Los Indios, or directly taught to our forebears!

Through the years of colonization, this pastry evolved not only in taste and size but also in name!

Going around exposes us to many interesting things, not only gastronomy, but even history!

Post a Comment

0 Comments