Curious Sighting: An LPG Powered Truck


I was caught in traffic entering main road Sagkahan from V&G Tacloban. This delivery van was in front of us. The writings on its rear got me curious. It says This truck is 100% powered by LPG. Oh, and so?
Yes, so what? Does it save them money? Okay, good for them! Does it help earth in any way, that they are "advertising" it? Hmm, maybe, I don't really know. But a time ago, that was being brokered to taxis.

It did somehow get some following, for in Cebu, I once had a problem that my maleta would not fit in the trunk due to the presence of a gas cylinder. A number of them got into it, but soon were back into gasoline! Anyare? Alam ko kasi pang-luto yan eh! Yung 11kg tank? Then I wondered, what happened?

Da! The educational power of traveling hehe! I got curious, I needed to know, so I browsed around and even asked some knowledgeable people that I know, for more information on that LPG. I got answers!

LPG means Liquified Petroleum Gas. In the context of our topic, it's used as fuel for engines like in our automobiles, that red truck and others more. That is why it is called 'Autogas' in many other countries.

Autogas (LPG) is the 3rd most popular automotive fuel on earth, with about 16 million passenger cars using it. Though not yet popular in the Philippines, it's also used by stationary engines, like generators.

Hmm, ganun? Now I'm learning, aren't you?

Gibo told me, it is a mixture of propane and butane. I said shut up, nosebleed ako!

But he continued telling me that more than half of autogas-fueled passenger vehicles are in the larger car markets like Turkey, South Korea, Poland, Italy, Australia. I said "okay na, awat na, tama na please"!

And I "killed" the phone hahaha! But he still texted me...
"Autogas (LPG) is called "green fuel" as it has 30% less CO2 exhaust emissions than petrol (gasoline)".

OMG! Information overload! I knew if I said anything else he would have replied many things more like "HHV", "megajoules and so on"! So I just txted back saying "Wow! Salamat! Ang galing mo talaga"! And the reply was "ulol, copied ko yan sa internet. magbasa ka paminsan-minsan 'wag puro sulat sa blog"!

Ah, many of my friends are "very sweet" like that. I'm sure many of you are reading this. Mga animal!

Anyway, howsoever information comes to us, we need to discern and learn. Like in the above, imagine that, green gas pala ang LPG. So why nga, are most of our land vehicles not using LPG? Kay-ano gud?

If I may summarize replies of friends, including some of you reading this, it looks like the reasons LPG isn't taking over "gas" (that means gasoline in Tagalog-speaking areas) and diesel (crudo) as a vehicle fuel are based on hearsay, sabi-sabi or agam-agam! Of and By folks including government authorities!

Hmm, imagine that... a truck (called "panel" by my driver) just blocked my views during a traffic stop, I saw what was written on its body, I asked around, and I learned about many many things! New to me!

Okay okay... I'll gather more details and perhaps come back with a new article about this LPG thing.

Isn't traveling very educational? Yeah, the world is my classroom!

Post a Comment

0 Comments