Transit In Singapore: Smoking & Sleeping

Alright folks! From previous stories, I was in transit at Singapore's Changi Airport, only about 15 hours, but happened to be "overnight"! I said I went on the Free Singapore Tour, roamed the 3 terminals, even had beer at Harry's Bar, but my 'sleep time' came! I said E11 in the previous article. Do you know that?

Let's talk about that!

E11 is a gate at Changi Airport's Terminal 2. Gate E11, is across the "Oasis Lounge" which is harder to memorize (tanders na) so I say E11 instead of Oasis Lounge. They are just across each other anyway!

Oasis Lounge is one (among many) of Changi's "Free-To-Use Rest Areas". Remember that phrase so you will know what to search for, should you need to use them. They are available in all four terminals!

I do not have a picture of Oasis Lounge (yet), because, everytime I attempted, someone or some folks could see me or even watching me hehe. They might think I am taking photos of them, so I don't click when humans are around! Anyway, this lounge has reclining chairs comfy enough for a nap or a deep slumber. Some have built-in charging ports - so pwedeng sabay mag-recharge ikaw at ang phone mo!

The whole lounge has subdued lighting with very faint piped-in music. And the recliners (I think there are 40 to 50 of them) face in different directions, so you can choose what best suits you. Do note that, the airport's public address system has been cut-off to this area, so those resting will not be bothered by loud announcements. That said, be sure you know your schedules or activated your alarm clock!

But let's go back to my transit story!

After the four bottles of beer at Harry's Bar, I bid the Pinoy wait staff goodbye, so I could catch some sleep at "E11" - which is the Oasis Lounge I described above. It's a bit far, deep into almost the end of concourse E, though not a problem as there are walkalators that never go off (automatic stop/start)!

Voila and eto na! When I reached E11, the lounge was full to the brim! All that came into my mind was "OMG, as in really? That's some 50 recliners, all occupied? Where'd all these passengers come from?"

I switched to "Plan B" - yes, me ganun ako hehe! But before that, I did a cursory look at these calm and peacefully resting humanity, drifting in lala land. Ah okay I discovered the souls that repose here aren't necessarily all transit passengers. A number of them are employees of/at this airport. Oh well, Plan B!

Plan B was and is always... "E5" (I mean that to be across Gate E5)! That's the Sanctuary Lounge. This one is smaller and brighter, even noisier than E11 (Oasis Lounge). Architects or interior designers may call it a "dead corner" of the building, for indeed it really is. But they made it into a nifty oriental haven!

Well, come to think of this, I think Sanctuary Lounge (I call it E5) is probably my favorite corner in all of Changi when I just want to space out, do nothing but write, with catnaps in between - that kind of vibe! But it doesn't mean you can't deeply sleep here. You can! There are also recliners like at Oasis Lounge.

Not only that.., this sanctuary recessed about 3 steps below the concourse floor, sits beside these...
1] A smoking room (I took that picture while inside) and 2] An internet corner (despite the strong free wifi all over the airport)! Behind the glass wall at left is a Japanese-inspired "sand garden" accented by real flowing water. Behind the glass wall at right, note the right-most computer, it's of a child's height!

The works! But wait what happened to my needed sleep?

Oh, there was a vacant recliner in the sanctuary, so I settled-in and slept my way to dreamland.., until it was time for me to rise and shine kanina! Note: always have a sweater ready as it could get very cold!

Hmm, no pic of the actual Sanctuary Lounge. When I attempted kasi, me matandang bom*** na hindi yata makatulog, nakatitig lang sa akin, pinagmamasdan bawat galaw ko, wala na, nagsitigil ako haha!


Post a Comment

0 Comments