Bon Appetit (French Restaurant), Davao

Discovered by circumstance, accident or fate! 😛

If you have read my previous post, I was in an unfamiliar (to me) area of Davao. Yes, I said in that post I've been many times to this city, but in all instances, there was never a need for me to be in, or stay at Obrero area. So alright, after check-in at Infinity Suites, I strolled to G-Mall. Although night time caught up with me there, food did not come to mind. Only after watching '24 Oras', that my stomach growled!

I looked at google maps to check where would be nearby joints to walk to, and grab some dinner or a bit of a semblance of it hehe! Ayun, I thought of walking around the vicinity, with particular propensity towards Loyola St. cor. Maharlika Highway, since I saw on the map that there were eateries near each other in that area - particularly some place that looked like 'a square' or 'a mall' or something like that.

While on my leisurely walk, I took note of what I might like as there were choices. There was the usual turo-turo, the usual fastfood, a Japanese restaurant, etc. Then I stumbled upon this place called Plaza Del Carmen, which I was sure was that thing I saw on google maps that looked like a square. Yes, it is!

Voila! I liked the look and feel of Bon Appetit! I don't know how to describe a French-style joint, I do not even know how a 'French Restaurant' should be like vis-a-vis 'others'. But, I just peeped at the door and I already instantly told myself... "dinner here, and now". Take note I didn't even enter the restaurant yet!
outside dining area with the main restaurant in the background of Bon Appetit French Restaurant in Davao City
Cozy-looking, right? Very! And I should add that, there were no diners (yet) on this 'outside area' of the restaurant. In fact, when the waitress came out to present me their menu, her very first sentence was, "sir, would you like to stay inside? its aircon!" to which I replied with "mas gusto ko dito sa labas". That made her exclaim "oh you are Filipino?", to which I replied with "no, Bisaya" which made her all giggly!

BUT, here is the 'real' reason I liked this 'outside area' without even going inside the restaurant..,
outside dining (and smoking area too) of Bon Appetit French Restaurant in Davao City
Okay ba? Sa dami ng sinabi ko above, ilan yan, 5 or 6 paragraphs? Eto lang pala ang bottomline ko 'no!

Well, if we would just put a bit more thought about 'us' smokers, many of you will come to accept that, sometimes (make that many times, as in often), we smokers deserve more respect, than relegating us to do this vice amid the cinders. Just provide 'respectable-enough' space for us, like Bon Appetit does!

Why? Because IF there's no such space, and WE OWN THE WALLET, which is usually the case anyway, talo lahat! You'll have less chances of visiting wonderful places like Bon Appetit - a French Restaurant!

These fine restaurants will slowly fizzle out too, due to lack of customers! And why is that, aber? O eh, your 'padre de familia', knowing there is no respectable place to smoke in that area, can just say "take out na lang kayo sa Jollibee and lets eat at home"! Or "Ma, magluto ka nalang ng afritada". O ano? Da!

Anyway, as of now, THIS is my new favorite restaurant in Davao City. Yeah! Oh ha?!

But that is not just because there's a smoking area. The food is Superb!
inhouse-baked bread, olives and vinaigrette as appetizer at the outside dining area of Bon Appetit French Restaurant in Davao City
Ayan, breads are hot, freshly made and 'on the house'! So are those pica-pica-style olives! Saan ka pa, di ba? The dark liquid is not toyo sawsawan ng siomai (di ito Chinese Restaurant!). That's vinaigrette!

Vinaigrette 'Nang Margret nga dili Margarit! You can check the pronunciation here. From time to time, magpa-sowsi susyal entawn 'tang mga aliping sagigilid oi! Yes gad Mana, it ira tinapay may du-du-an!

I ordered the pork something something whatever (not liempo, asado, binagoongan). And, I purposely told the girl to just bring everything on as soon as ready, since I won't be able to finish my breads dahil madami kasi. And I'm not a fan of olives either. Kung kropek, mani o crispy dilis pa yan, ok titirahin ko!

Ganyan nga pala ang mga sosyalin na 'western-style restaurants', they wait for you to finish your soup and starters before they bring in the entrée. Eh ito walang soup by purpose (nag-beer na kasi ako), so hihintayin nila matapos ako sa tinapay? Ayoko. Ilapag mo na lahat, bahala na ako ano dadamputin ko!

Did you notice that is how we Pinoys eat? Actually almost all of Asia (except for the Lauriat nung mga insik). We want all our food served, kahit sangkilometrong lamesa pa ang kailanganin at kahit na hindi buffet, di ba? At pag sinabing 'go', eh di ataaaak mga kawangis! Galit-galit muna. Ang ma-kwento, talo!

Anyway, so my food arrived. Note I wasn't done with the breads BUT I told them not to remove those!
main entrée in nice presentation at the outside dining area of Bon Appetit French Restaurant in Davao City
Hayaan mo lang kasi dyan.., para pag naubos ang kanin ko, tinapay ulit, me bayad kasi ang extra rice!

I know what someone might be thinking (you know who you are, 'lamot')! He's saying "ang konti ah"!
main entrée at outside dining area of Bon Appetit French Restaurant in Davao City
But I can assure you, this is not at all a 'small serving'. The plate is just so big (sosyal kasi eh), I think it is more than a foot in diameter! I had a hard time finishing that. Tinuod na, ungod iton, no stir. Pramis!

And the ambiance of Bon Appetit Restaurant? Oh yes 'da ambulance'... Sosyalin 'pre!
view of the garden at the outdoor dining table of Bon Appetit French Restaurant in Davao City
I could sit here all night 'til I be drunk, even with non-smoking companions, whether family or friends!

To illustrate this, let us just say that my non-smoking companions are dining inside the air conditioned area. Fine with me, as I could just dash in&out from inside to this 'smoking area'. Than at other places, where you are 'ejected' to standing by a stinky trash bin, in front of a big exhaust fan behind a building.

Tapos ako ang magbabayad ng buong dinner? Nunca mga iday! Sa bahay tayo kumain!

Oh well... if you say Bon Appetit French Restaurant in Davao, or anything similar.., leshgo!

I love this place na!

Post a Comment

0 Comments