Cancabato Bay Musings

This afternoon, this place suddenly became a wonderful time and place for introspection...
Cancabato Bay and San Jose (DZR Airport Area) viewed from Sagkahan, Real St., Tacloban
The placid sea at Cancabato Bay.., viewed from Café Lucia, along Real St., in Sagkahan, Tacloban City.

Not that it's always like so (for me at least), as I've been to this area many times before. I just dropped by Café Lucia on this gloomy Saturday afternoon, to while a little time away, actually "in conformance" with a local belief that we shouldn't go straight home from a cemetery (funeral), my driver advised me.

Superstition or not, that belief actually lends practical, if not scientific credence, that is: don't bring the sorrow straight to your home. Be distracted' by things around, to get your emotions in check, if only to move forward with a clear mind - especially on this funeral that I just came from, which was full of not only grief but anger too (he was defenselessly murdered, by one that we, his family and friends know).

As I sat admiring the serenity of the gloomy afternoon, my mind drifted towards wondering..,
Tacloban Astrodome and Cancabato Bay viewed from Café Lucia , Real St., Sagkahan, Tacloban
How could such a peaceful and seemingly harmless body of water claim the lives of many people? Ah yes, the calm waters that you see in the picture, rose and smashed at cataclysmic magnitudes during Supertyphoon Yolanda's wrath. Lifeless victims were washed ashore to the boulevard (Real St.) at left.

That made my brain also jump into wondering why the early demise of that friend whose funeral I just attended. How could a peace-loving professional architect be gunned to his death that easily, without any warning, in the comfort and security of his office, by someone who was supposed to be his friend.

Well, we never can really fully predict nor understand our fate, right?

As I looked into the calm waters, I silently said "rest in peace Padi Medmed with our creator.., we, your family and friends left behind, will ensure (even at least hope), the criminal be brought to justice soon.

But coming to this place, specifically to have an afternoon "merienda" at Café Lucia, my purpose was to get distracted, perchance even to forget that lingering sorrow over a lost friend whose funeral I just attended, right? Well, something appeared on the horizon that entertained me, at least for some while.

This..,
Jetski rider on Cancabato Bay with San Jose (DZR Airport Area) in the background viewed from Real St., Sagkahan, Tacloban
A jetskiing whoever, badass enough to enter the bay (whatever fun he/she was getting out of it). Cool!

I mean, not that it's against any law to jetski in this bay. Not even that this might be a polluted place - I can say it is not. It's just that, not many dudes swing by this quiet bay on a jetski! That's just too damn upscale! Coolness to the nth degree! How many jetskis are there in all of Tacloban anyway, right? Yea!

But this wasn't the first time I saw a jetski vrooming around this bay, either! Who knows, the one I saw sometime ago might even be one and the same he or she that was now unknowingly entertaining me!

Ah, this pesky little "spectacle" got me smiling with many crooked and wicked things in my mind!

See? I even forgot all about the food that my driver ordered for us! Masarap ang mga ito, pramis!
Sandwich and Carbonara of Cafe Lucia with Cancabato Bay and San Jose (DZR Airport Area) in the background
The one at right is my favorite "bacon", while the one at left is I don't know what, but it's not spaghetti!

Nice relaxing afternoon, with the jetski zooming in and out of sight.., and even the planes too!
commercial turboprop aircraft passing over Cancabato Bay prior to landing at DZR Airport, Tacloban
The combined ambience of the cool afternoon, the jetski and the planes led me to think (fancy) going home for the weekend and visit Bantayan or Malapascua. And so I realized I was densely dreaming. I checked and re-checked my gcalendar, "no can do" for the next 12 consecutive days - all hectic in R8!

Oh well, I appeased my royal highness saying "I could get used to watching jetskis in Cancabato Bay"!

Post a Comment

0 Comments