Matalom To Ormoc Afternoon Views

A nice day.., a wonderful day indeed!

We just came off the interesting Canigao Island and driving our way up to Ormoc, to call it a day. Not yet returning all the way to Tacloban this time, as tomorrow's "work-related work" starts from Ormoc!

We (I mean my driver) were rushing on the road as it was nearly sundown, and Matalom to Ormoc is around a hundred kilometers, and we have a protocol to abide by.., "sun-up to sun-down only trips"!

But I observed, the views along the way were fantastic with the golden "about-to-set" sunlight on this western side of Leyte. So I made a deal with the driver.., no stops but I could request a slow-down at important or extremely wondrous sights (sites too) along the way! Ang problema: there are too many!

First fantastic sighting, not really my choice.., not a site or sight but an "incident" (in Bato, Leyte)!
My driver honked quickly and softly as he tried to overtake that trike running slow in the middle of the road. Its driver did swerve to the side, after making funny faces and grinned at us with his tongue out!

I saw those things written at the back of his cab (STOP - WAIT FOR ME - STOP) reason I snapped that picture. All the more we ran slower for my driver couldn't compose himself as we were laughing hard!

This day was awash with fun and funny things! And we have moved only 5kms, so far hahaha!

As we approached the town of Hindang, I oh so liked the golden color of vast ricefields..,

But on the other side of the road (sorry, camera facing the sun), there was some kind of a spectacle!
Vehicles parked, folks watching the other side (left) of the road. The uzisero me had to check it out!

Whoa hoa! Motorbikers practicing a-la-motocross rides! But they were all behind that mound :(
I begged for my vehemently protesting driver to stop a very short while for me to have a glimpse.

And I already jumped out of the car before driver could say no hahaha! Here's a snippet!

I said in the video, "just beside the national highway", but let's qualify that. Yes it is beside the highway, but far enough for riders' and uninvited spectators' safety. As you can see, I zoomed the pic above, so it looked like I was by the wire-fence. Video was shot from the hiway at actual distance. Meaning "far".

This could have been fun to watch (for me, at least). Hey, I did not know, that moto-sports has already picked-up in Eastern Visayas. I thought all along this was (and still) only a hit in the Ilonggo (Western Visayas) and Bisdak (Central Visayas) Countries! I learned something new again. Travel is education!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to stay for at least man lang 10minutes. Hmp! Hahaha, nag-nostalgia ang tigulang! Shoutout pala to fellow "offriders" "dirtriders" of yesteryears. Diin na kamo man man man?!

One more bit of information about this motocross thing in Eastern Visayas.., a biker who watched on the roadside with me, told me that this sport has "caught fire" more on the west side of Leyte only, not much on the eastern Leyte towns, and all the more not yet on any of the 3 provinces on Samar Island.

"Anong 10 minutes sir, eh halos 30 minutes kayo nanood nung motocross na yun"! Said the chaperone alalay yaya bodyguard [and photographer too, remember the Canigao drunken girls?] haha! That as he kept slamming on the gas at every opportunity, which was max 80kph anyway "due to protocol" hehe!

And the next time I had a chance to click on a view was already approaching the Maypatag Bridge..,
Well yes, this was already entering Baybay City, about 30kms away, after, from, where that motocross thing was, before entering Hindang! I didn't feel we passed by Inopacan. Ah, maybe we jumped over it!

By the way, Maypatag is only some 500 feet before/after Pomponan. Both are curved bridges forming a cove, facing west (the Camotes Sea). Afternoon views from any of, or in between these two bridges are ever spectacular as it looks like a serene lake. Hurry though, the mangroves are disappearing fast!

And by the way too, if you've heard of Lintaon Peak, Lintaon Cave and that 16,000 ek-ek of LED lights? If any of those may be interesting to you, it is at a corner between the two bridges, where your vehicle pass and start the climb to those hilly places. That is pronounced "lin-ta-on" in case you did not know!

On with our drive to Ormoc, darkness fast approaching, driver had to pass by this diversion road..,
Going straight would be to and/or through the middle of the city traffic, while turning right goes via the new 'bypass' road straight to the northern outskirts of Baybay City, avoiding the central district traffic.

Not that we are new here. We've been using this road ever since it was opened. Very convenient.
Picturesque too on many parts of the whole stretch. But eerily silent during the darkness of night. Du!

This is the 'now getting famous' intersection. A 'must remember' for motorists passing via Baybay.
To the right (eastwards) is going to Mahaplag, Abuyog, the rest of eastern Leyte towns, all the way to Tacloban. You may also veer right again from Mahaplag, going to Silago and towns further southeast.

To the left is going Baybay City proper, the central business district or even left from there to Maasin! That would bring you to pass by that diversion intersection that we just passed by (2 pictures above).

Straight ahead was where we were headed - the northern, not so crowded areas of Baybay City all the way to Ormoc. The best way to avoid heavy pedicab tricycle habal-habal traffic at Baybay's city center!

And, after crossing the intersection, this is THE MOST famous (or infamous) portion of the road!
Look, the road climbs (very steep) straight high up unto that hill, and at the top, it abruptly slopes (very steeply too) down to the plains on the other side of the hill! This is where it becomes "fun" or "not fun"!

This hill is regarded in many ways, depending on the level of 'in'sanity you are in. Yes, me ganun!

Here are some examples:
A friend calls this "Twilight Zone Hill" because of the bright lights that point skyward when vehicles in the opposite lane are climbing up, while you are doing the very same thing on the other side of the hill.

Another friend calls this the "Stupidest Shortcut" saying "DPWH tried to save on funds by making such a dangerously sloping road" - so that vehicles have to slow down. Hm, I think "may sa tama" si friend!

But my driver corrected me saying "sir, slow-up ito, diri slow-down". Hm, I think me tama si yaya!

Me thinks it's a fun road. I did this one time [disclaimer: huwag tularan].., because my yaya (the driver) won't agree to this, I coaxed a friend (him and me) to ride in his SUV, zooming at full speed up that hill and without touching the brakes until the vehicle jumps to the "other side". Done! But almost... OMG!

The vehicle flew alright. But we were too fast, we took off at an angle towards the opposite lane. And when we landed (with rear-right wheel ground first) on the sloping down portion, in the very middle of the road.., we were some inches short of smashing unto 2 oncoming vehicles whose drivers were startled why all of a sudden they saw an SUV falling from heaven! Almost trouble! One of them called the authorities, I had to plead and pray, use all my "charm reserves" to get off trouble!

Okay, that was history, but as we passed-by this time, my driver asked "sir, jump tayo"? I said shaddap!

Look! This was as we crossed the "sharp" apogee of the hill which now slopes sharply down. And..,
You have all sorts of vehicles fording this road, including tricycles that have a hard time climbing up.

Anyway, it was getting dark, and that kind of sky (dusk) is really beautiful on this side of Leyte..,
The fields just outside of Baybay City proper. In the distance are the mountain ranges behind VSU.

Oh, did I say VSU? Here, the mountainside gate of Visayas State University. Note the background..,
I already said this in my other stories, but it's nice repeating that VSU is one of a few state universities that have a truly "ridge-to-reef" campus. Yes, they have everything from mountains, rivers, to oceans!

Alright, make the long story short.., we were still far from Ormoc and darkness has befallen upon us!
That smiley on the rear of the bus was last I remember to have snapped that I could still see! So, shh, the sunrise-to-sundown protocol has been breached, ay'g saba! Nothing happened to us anyway, shh!

We stayed in Ormoc for the night. That's our topic next!

Post a Comment

0 Comments