The DENR Boats in Palo

This is the third time I'm posting about these boats, after this (first) and this (second). Let this be the last post from me, whilst giving you an explanation of how they came to be, and a laugh! After this, I won't care what else is going to happen about these unfortunate green boats! They're now so popular!

I came from Tanauan, passing by the DENR offices across the MacArthur Landing Memorial...
undistributed green boats at the MacArthur Memorial Park across DENR in Palo Leyte
I could see the boats where they had been for a time now (right), but I got curious about those people crossing the road. My heart seem to have jumped to my neck! Are they finally distributing the boats?!

Driver seemed to have picked what I was interested about, so he braked to stop right there...
undistributed green boats at the MacArthur Memorial Park across DENR in Palo Leyte
Whoa! Some of them boats were already "standing upright" and now literally by the side of the road!

We stopped, but driver cautioned me "sir sir.., ayaw paglusad" [don't get off the car]...
undistributed green boats at the MacArthur Memorial Park across DENR in Palo Leyte
I thought that was OA, but yes I heeded when I saw those faces hehe! Their facial expressions were varied - from curious to apprehensive to downright offended - that's how I interpreted those stares!

Maybe because we arrived with windows open and I was already filming (they could see my phone aimed at them). Thus, I mustered a (stupidly) "cheeeeriest" of faces and asked "ano na, mapakain na" [what's up, where to now]? No one replied, they all just looked at each other and returned to their stare (glare?) at me! I continued with "ipapanhatag na" [to be distributed]? Rightmost guy shook his head.

Yes, that guy in a hooded sweatshirt! Opportunity! So I looked at him directly and further asked "kay-ano? ikakain man ito niyo? [but why, where are you now bringing those]. It took time but he answered.

His reply was: "ikakadto ha luyo, kay ginmimideya man kuno niyo"! That meant: being brought to the back (of the building) because you (includes me) keep mentioning/posting (these) on various media!

I asked one last question "so, diri pa i-di-distribute" [so, not yet to be distributed]?
Finally he smiled saying "kay waray man nakarawat hini"! [but nobody wants to receive these]!
And they all laughed, even my driver laughed, so I too (nakikisama) laughed and said thank you!

So, driver proceeded, and we turned left to the government center, my brain churning fast... and wild!
undistributed green boats at the MacArthur Memorial Park across DENR in Palo Leyte
This shot would have been my last shot and glimpse of these green boats at the MacArthur Park!

The end? No, not yet!

I had to pull some strings asking around for me to be able to talk to anyone at the DENR who knows about these boats. It did not take very long, and I was back at this place. Those guys were surprised to see me again! But, per request of the 'authority' whom I talked to, no more pictures, and no names.

Here's (my summary) of the story...
Opening remarks: Those boats were not made using government money!
Closing remarks: Nobody wants them!
Ayun, tapos na ang usapan. Period. The End!

Hahaha, you want more details? Ganito (daw) yun...
The DENR Secretary asked logging concesionaires (I still don't know what they are) if they would like to help in the recovery, rehabilitation, reconstruction actions in Region VIII that was devastated by Typhoon Yolanda / Haiyan. Only DM Consunji Inc (DMCI) responded and rose to the occassion.

DMCI, a big logging concessionaire in Mindanao offered to build 1,200 boats for fishermen in Samar and Leyte. Offer accepted. Out of their willingness to help, DMCI transported (transplanted) 20 boat builders from Zamboanga to Palo, and they immediately started building the boats right on the DENR premises in Palo - that was all DENR could afford to contribute. Ayos naman daw, mabilis pa nga eh!

Distribution was c/o DILG who has authority to talk to LGUs. But DILG even sought (daw) the help of BFAR to list names of beneficiaries! When the "giving" part came, no fisherman wanted to receive the boats! Da! So green boats stay where they are until now - the DENR premises where they were made.

Okay, yun na talaga ang end of story!

The "real story" notwithstanding, the issue of hundreds of boats just decaying to the elements is not yet solved, right? I am sure you my dear readers have burning questions in your heads right now. Ako rin kaya, as in ang dami pa! But if we discuss it in this my blog, aabutin tayo ng next millenium! Haruy!

I jokingly asked if I can have a boat since no fisherman wants them. The quick reply was "how many"?

Post a Comment

0 Comments