New Town Kitchen, Carigara

We were just halfway on a trip from Basey to Kananga. This was a long drive, even if via Barugo. And lunchtime caught us at the town of Carigara. So I requested the driver to find us a nice cozy place that does not teem with people (like fastfoods) but with good food! Without hesitation he brought us here!
New Town Kitchen's name and logo painted on a wall at their garden in Carigara Leyte
Driver says he had been eating in this place even during his previous stint as delivery truck driver. But he cautioned me, that food here is a bit pricier than the usual turo-turo. Hmmn, 1965, I was intrigued!

Their food is nothing fancy nor gourmet. Just simple and usual daily family fare. But yes, marasa!
delectable food at New Town Kitchen in Carigara Leyte
This one on foreground is a big fried fish, that whitish thing on the right is "kinilaw", and the other fish is "bulad" (yummy, not salty)! Of course paired with "hinatukan nga karubasa" (squash with cocomilk)!

Burp! Yes, very "tastes like home" food. But did you know those are not the bestsellers in this place? Ah the thing that almost every table had was "tinola" (fish), "humba", and chunks of "lechon kawali"!

Well, true that they are a bit more expensive, even the bottle of coke and cup of rice. But worth it!

No time to ask questions. Kananga was waiting. Plus the old ladies were quite busy...
street view of New Town Kitchen in Carigara Leyte
So I just took that photo of the façade and street sign, so I can find it next time I come back for lunch.

Oh, did I say old ladies? Yes there were three I saw, but driver says there are four. They are purportedly sisters who had been in this business since 1965. OMG wow! They are (still) the main waitresses of the place. But they were really busy. They shout instructions to each other or to the kitchen hehe. Aliw!

I promised my self I will be back in this half-a-century-old eatery. Yes, pramis!

On the way out going to the highway, I saw this interesting name, Zasaru!
another eatery in Carigara Leyte named Zarasu
While it may sound foreign or "japanesy" to many, the word is actually an aberration of a waray-waray food-related term "saro" [eat with others]. It's the Tagalog "salo" and "sasaro" in Tagalog is "salu-salo".

All the more reason I said I must come back to Carigara, when I saw this...
a big blue wooden old house in Carigara Leyte
I suspect and expect there must be many grand-looking old houses here as this is a very old town.

Ah well, new places new experiences again! I love!

Post a Comment

0 Comments