Bobon Joyride to Catarman Lunch

This is only about 8 or 9 kilometers of a joy ride. I heard many people even just ride tricycles or habal-habal between these two towns. I actually just passed-by yesterday on my way to Allen from Catarman, remember? But, when you love traveling, "going to" is not really the same as coming back! Many wonderful things always await to delight you!

Like these...

an overloaded motorcycle overtakes a tricycle on the highway from Bobon to Catarman Northern Samar
I whispered "ang lakas ng loob mo manong!", noting that that habal-habal has a heavy load but its driver had the nerve to overtake the trike! Look beyond, a vehicle is coming!

In my curiosity, I asked my driver to tail the habal-habal closely for me to see the load.
the overloaded motorcycle is carrying 15 sacks of produce, along the highway from Bobon to Catarman Northern Samar
I couldn't make out what the contents were. Definitely not rice. But still, that's 15 sacks, and definitely it could not be as light as cotton! Might even be heavier than rice. I think!

And hey what a chance! Look at that vehicle on the opposite lane. It's not "kuliglig", but it also has just three wheels. Therefore 'tricycle' too. But it does not look like the usual. So, what is it called, a 'cargo trike'? a 'hybrid' trike'?! Whatever, I had fun noting these down!

Honestly, I waited for this chance... us overtaking the habl-habal! [and it is fast ha!]
the overloaded motorcycle is carrying 15 sacks of produce and a passenger seated on the fuel tank, along the highway from Bobon to Catarman Northern Samar
OMG as in Oh My Gino-o! There is even an adult rider in front of the driver! Only in my country! Anyway, this near and I still could not guess the contents of those sacks! Luya?!

La Fortunata Functions. I said "hmm, I did not see that yesterday" (I was on that side)...
highway vie of the entrance to La Fortunata Functions in Catarman Northern Samar
Driver told me its a resort. I said "wheh, functions nga eh, functions lang"! But he told me there are hotel rooms, even a pool, and that he attended a wedding in there! Ok fine!

"My Nanny's Garden"... I saw flowers and many potted plants and everything garden...
A sign of 'urbanization'! Because in really rural areas you can't sell any garden things. Hinihingi lang hehe! Speaking of urbanity, I think Catarman should become a city soon.

Onwards and entering the town proper, we passed via the street that crosses the runway. But whatever happened to me, I just bewilderedly busied myself looking at the people and vehicles crossing the runway with us, I forgot to take a pic! Amazedmerized hahaha!

And the big old wooden houses beckoned once more... there are many in this town!
row of big old wooden houses in Catarman Northern Samar
However, and, speaking of 'urbanization', many of these big old wooden houses are becoming modern and concrete. Others are now even becoming commercial buildings.

Like this row of beautiful houses...
row of big old wooden houses in Catarman Northern Samar

Almost all of the ground level areas are now commercial establishments...
row of big old wooden houses in Catarman Northern Samar
Well, Catarman is a busy provincial capital. Like every capital, this is also the province's commercial center. If Borongan and Catbalogan (can be) are now cities, this will follow!

Like why did I take this photo?
Because in this busy intersection, only that corner (Dolis Store) does not have a building. That corner to the right of the yellow trike (behind the van) is a big new commercial building. To my right (not in photo) is PNB, and left a 3-level building (Sandugo branch).

After we turned left at that corner above, driver asked "dito sir?" and I shook my head...
Jollibee Catarman Northern Samar
Remembering something he said "aw, normal instances"! He knows that under "normal circumstances" we wouldn't because we shouldn't eat at that bee when visitng a place.

And today was one of those "normal circumstances" days haha! Meaning? Ah, that means 1) we are not in a hurry; 2) we are not lost; 3) the place is safe; AND, 4) we know there are LOCAL choices! One of my travel principles, really. Enjoy the place as much as I can!

So, we forded this busy street a bit (Jacinto St.?)
And driver said we better just go back to the row of old houses above (blue house) as his usual lunch place when he was still a delivery van driver is a restaurant in one of them!

We were caught in a mild traffic in front of this sound systems store (Sofia's?)...
Ayan, live entertainment on the street! Those kids were dancing to the loud music!

Another old house where the ground level is now a store...
row of big old wooden houses in Catarman Northern Samar
If I'm not mistaken, across this (to the left) is already the side of their municipal hall.

After the police and fire stations, before we made a left turn, I saw this Freedom Park...
Being repaired? Well, I guess it's being made beautiful for my next visit! Which reminds me, this is where the Grand Tours vans arrived at / departed from when I visited in 2010!

And... I thought we were stopping here to view that old house. Lunch place din pala!
Michz's Cafe is a restaurant offering pizza pasta noodles and budget meals in a big old wooden house in Catarman Northern Samar
Michz's! Howsoever you want to pronounce that, go! But this is a good one. No frills homecooked food. Good we arrived early at about 11:30AM as it gets really full at noon.

I did not ask, I even avoided looking around, so am not sure if this is a Chinese resto...
food at Michz's Cafe in Catarman Northern Samar
Why did I think this might be a Chinese resto? Well, all the tables are big and round!

I was awed that there were many customers who were ordering food 'to go'. Yes, 'take out'. I saw a number of them had pancit. Some had pizza, yes pizza! Well, I read the signboard outside, it says "pizza, pasta, noodles, budget meals"! Sosyalin, pizza for lunch!

This lunch tasted good. Just like in my house (mura ang toyo haha) and I like it!
food at Michz's Cafe in Catarman Northern Samar
One is fish (tanguigue), the other is porkchop! If they look dark to you, it's the soy sauce. Not salty, just burpingly good! My issue is they don't have Coke! Pepsi products only. Haizst!

When we were about done, other diners sat with us on that table, 2 of them policemen! For a moment, I thought we were being arrested! Illegal possession of handsome face?!

Alright, immediately after this hefty lunch (I had an extra cup of rice, isa lang pramis!), we immediately continued on our way as we were still far from our joyride destination.

But the next stop, I insised, was a white beach! That's my next story!

Post a Comment

0 Comments