Allen Town Center

My driver already knows - that if I have got nothing specific to see in a town, I go for the church and the municipal hall. Knowing I was already done with my business in Allen yesterday, he went straight to the church without me asking! Marunong! So here I was!
front view of St. James the Greater Parish Church in Allen Northern Samar
St. James the Greater Parish Church. Hm, I seldom see "the greater" in church names. Or am just not used to it. What I oft see/hear is St. James the Great or St. James the Apostle.

Anyway, here in Allen, their church name has the "ER" - St. James the GreatER. That's a comparative adjective (greater). So, I now wonder if there is a St. James the GreatEST!

This is inside the church, viewed from the main entrance...
interior view of St. James the Greater Parish Church in Allen Northern Samar
Airy, bright, neat, and just pleasing to the eyes and soul of the prayerful, right?

And this is the altar... also not cluttered with unnecessary art ek-ek!
altar of St. James the Greater Parish Church in Allen Northern Samar
I did, and I do still wonder why is their depiction of Jesus Christ like so. Not crucified.

Gin-bitay?! Jesus was hanged? And by the wrists? When and where?! Doesn't that send a wrong signal to children or the ignorant catholic adults like me? He was crucified, right?

But I liked these 'stained glass' murals up the altar (instead of the usual 'retablo')...
stained glass murals at the altar of St. James the Greater Parish Church in Allen Northern Samar
I am guessing, illumination is just care of the sun from the back of the building. Nice!

The 'priest's view'...
"priest's view" interior view of the church from the altar of St. James the Greater Parish Church in Allen Northern Samar
This church is just so interestingly uncluttered. And 'maaliwalas'! Stained glass murals brightens the ceiling. Even those electric fans and chandeliers are tastefully positioned.

Now now... I could not help but take this photo...
a young girl wiping the pews clean at St. James the Greater Parish Church in Allen Northern Samar
Softly huming a song, she was wiping the pews... ALL of them... one by one... alone!

At first I felt like I wanted to reprimand this woman for making the child work...
mother and child church cleaners at St. James the Greater Parish Church in Allen Northern Samar
But she, this woman, (mother), was still jolly proud whatever I say. Was I getting thru?

So I turned to the girl and asked "leading" questions if she was being forced to do this...
mother and child church cleaners at St. James the Greater Parish Church in Allen Northern Samar
Her replies indicated it was the other way around... she was helping her mom clean the church so they can already go home as there are other chores waiting, like the laundry and cooking for lunch. The clincher... since she has not memorized all the prayers yet, she'd rather clean the house of God, so she will be blessed. Da! Lumps inside my throat!

Anyway, out of the church, driver pointed to me the municipal hall just steps away.

And I silently said "is this still really their municipal hall until now?"...
municipal hall of Allen Northern Samar
I mean it is a bit longer to the back, but it looks still too small for recent times. And it is hemmed in tightly on all sides by residential houses. Well, I don't have "scientific basis" why I say it's too small. I am just comparing it with municipal halls I saw at other towns!

And this is the police office...
police office of Allen Northern Samar
Looks more like a 'paradahan' of a TODA - a tricycle operators and drivers' association!

I debated with my self for a while there. They must have a new municipal hall building somewhere. But my driver said this was just it. I still hope he is wrong. Eh, this is a big town. Almost like a provincial capital. And a busy commercial business area with a busy RORO port. That means more taxes. Can't that afford them bigger and better munisipyo?

Anyway, we moved on...

Hey that is the main gate of BCAT - Balicuatro College of Arts and Trades!
street view of the gate of Balicuatro College of Arts and Trades (BCAT) in Allen Northern Samar
That's where I had a meeting yesterday yes, but I did not even think about this school when I snapped that photo. I was more on perplexed what that old man might be doing! He looked like scooping up water from down there! Maybe there's a busted pipe there!

Oh well, imagine that, I have been many times in this town - passing by or attending meetings. But when I started looking around, I saw "meaningful" things for the first time.

Okay, we had to go out and continue my "another long joyride" to Laoang and back"!

Post a Comment

0 Comments