Cebu to Ormoc on OceanJet, Again
Boarding
We ended my previous story with this picture:That's as we boarded OceanJet 3 @10:05AM.And as I said, this was one "great ride" again, because it was "not full"; with "great views" - because this was on a bright sunny morning!
Views while boarding
Oy, while lining up, that above, wasn't the only pic I took. There were other views. Like these: I think I already said this before.., but no harm repeating.., that this is one reason why I'm not a fan of evening trips, midnight rides or red eye flights - since I love watching where I pass by.Imagine kung madilim, what will I see? Eh 'di rin naman tayo nakaka-tulog ng mahimbing.
So, daytime travel is more fun when hopping between our many islands in the Philippines!
I apply that to all types of transpo, mind you!
And I also already said: even if it's a repetitive ride from Point A to Point B, there will always be something interesting for us to encounter!
That, makes travel pleasant and memorable.
Aboard the OceanJet
So let's go - starting with my already boarded, although not-so-full Cebu-Ormoc OceanJet 3.That is frontmost of OceanJet 3's main cabin (main deck). Their first row seats are absurdly facing everyone. Para kang nasa firing squad!I can't imagine myself sitting there. Instead of a TV, you are what everyone else is watching!
Well, kung KSP o EPAL ka (maraming ganyan, di ba?), that would be limelight enough hehe!
But most Pinoys aren't like that. Probably the reason why, I observed, few people sit there.
Let me tell you a not-so-secret secret: When a fastcraft isn't full (I always ask about that), I'm not really bothered where my seat would be.I just usually need a 'secure' spot to dump my back pack on, then I roam the cabin/s almost the entire trip - to watch places (and people)!
Sights & scenes on board
Like this one. I mean the outside view, not the people - because OceanJet was departing na!In fact, I ran upstairs for an open-air view:That's Pier 1, where we came from. OceanJet boarded us in front of that smaller StarCraft 2.
Star Crafts
Ay if I remember right, Star Crafts has trips to Tubigon and/or Getafe. And maybe elsewhere.I also recall, OceanJet has a smaller craft like that. The one I took goin' to Camotes Islands.
Single aisle yan, with a 3-3 seat configuration. Just like an Airbus A320. O diba? Pag mahilig ka talaga sa eroplano, sumisingit din, kahit pa sa mga usapang pang-karagatan na hahaha!
By the way, look at that picture intently. Small as it may be, it also sports an upper deck that is open air too, but not as wide as OceanJet's.
Aw, speaking of OceanJet's upper deck, eto...I shot that photo from the boat's aft starboard.
Walang tao? Meron naman, at port side. Ito o!Just two of them in this area. Plural na yan oi!
Anopangaba, grand time mag-pectyur-pectyur!Inside that door is their business class cabin. But I didn't enter, as I saw an interesting sight.
Views "etcetera" from the aft is best
The fastcraft's wake and the pier area. Nice!I'm not sure why, but every time I'm on a boat, I like taking photos & videos from/of the back.Not just passing views, but things back there!Like: that at left is the steep "back-stairs" with 'very narrow' steps, and the things covered by that green sheet are our checked-in baggage.
Plus, boat-related things that I think are tools.
Interesting views ba at the back stairs? This!More than interesting hahaha! I didn't ask for permisssion (baka sabihan pa ako na "bawal"), I just ceremoniously announced 'excuse me, I must join your worthwhile activity' (in English)!
Taken aback, wala silang nagawa other than just smile at me hehehe! Wasn't I awesome?!
Ahem.., I am not a social decorum expert and business etiquette coach for nothing hehehe!
No Smoking On Board pala ha?! Estoryahee!
Shhh, ayaw mo'g saba. Hush lang. Sekret ba!
Anyway...
Of course it's equally awesome to watch both sides (shorelines), as this is Mactan Channel.
It's an enormously long port
On the Mandaue side, when I clicked, we were past Cebu International Port & Gothong Wharf.I think that's also what many folks call Pier 8? Well, I haven't been in that area (yet), I just got a hint since the Super Shuttle RORO 9 is there.Pier 8 or 9 or 10? Frankly I'm not sure (yet), as to how many Piers the Port of Cebu has. I just know it is very long - about 5 kilometers long? From Aduana aka Malacanang Sa Sugbo up to the back of CDU aka Cebu Doctor's University.
There is even Ouano Wharf, etc., but...
Boardwalk Mall, Mandani and others
Interestingly or puzzlingly, the area next to the RORO 9 (middle of pic, brown-roofed buildings) has been like that since 2009 - or even earlier.It was already hyped-up by many news outfits as a "Cebu Boardwalk Mall", later becoming a "Mandani Bay" whatever or something like so.
In fact, I just remembered now, that is where that crazily popular LifeDance has been held for its past 3 stagings (2012, 2013 and 2014).
As of today, that area is still "in progress"!
Anyway, after that yet unfinished "boardwalk", I could see CDU and the up & coming hospital branches being made for UC and Chong Hua.
Plus and lastly, that prominent zebra-striped mixed-use condominium of Robinsons Land.
That vast reclaimed land is developing fast.
The ill-fated St. Gregory The Great
Looking at the other side of the channel, this:The Mactan Shipyard area (I think). Oy what a luck seeing that 2GO RORO, nandyan pala yan!That's M/V St. Gregory the Great which was on the news last year, after 'issues' near the Siete Pecados Islands - between Iloilo & Guimaras.
8 holes daw? Oh wow kapitan! Gastos yan.
Anyway..,
No front-center view
Here's a full back-view as we forded along...As we neared the 1st Mandaue-Mactan Bridge.Thus, still from the back of upstairs (since the public isn't allowed at the pilot's deck), I tried to capture my best shot of the front, at portside.Nice enough for me, though nicer if I took that up front, at the captain's deck or even its roof.
Well what can we do, bawal e! Anyway, for the memories, and for me to have some things to show to you my dear readers, pwede na diba?
That's Bridge 1, and far at the back is Bridge 2. Yup, Mandaue side as we were headed north.
That dangerous junk yard
You see that "dark hill" at left, that looks like a mountain of rubbish? Well, it is hehehe. That's Ting Guan Junk Yard. Yes they have their own wharf there. Look intently to see docked boats.What's the significance?
Ay, for those who don't/didn't know, especially those not from the Metro Cebu area, juicy ito!
About 2 years ago, there were vintage bombs in that scrap yard, that took long for the gov't authorities to act on - and that scared people!
Not just one or two or three, mind you. Ala eh, 385 yata. Eh mga vintage. Eh kung sumabog?
Ahh, it was on the news everyday for so many days. Eh ang lapit sa tulay o! Kulbaan tanan oi heheh! Nabawasan nga ang traffic sa Bridge 1!
It was hot news. Brgy. Tipolo officials (I think) even went to City Hall, for the Mayor to attend to the issue, but I didn't follow na when it was resolved (detonated at a mine in Toledo City?).
I remember during that time, all I thought was aba kahit na pang World War II pa ang mga yan, bomba pa rin yan na pwedeng sumabog. Kulba!
That, is how that dark dune of junk by the sea port became known to many of us the public!
GMC, a historical handmark of its own
I walked to starboard, also for the view. This:Wohoa! We were getting nearer to Bridge 1 on the Lapu-lapu City Mactan side. On a clear day!A view of GMC, this time clear, from the sea.For those not familiar, GMC = General Milling Corporation. It started on that very spot in the 1950s. And now still active as they should be.
Here's the best way to remember them: if you are an '80s kid, you surely have known Granny Goose Tortillos, Kornets, or even the "wala pa ring tatalo sa Alaska". Even Swan's Down Flour - yung pula na box! Magnifico Pasta too. O ha!
Ah, GMC is an interesting story. It started as a flour mill on that spot way way before the first bridge even became an idea. And long before the CEB airport transferred to where it is now.
Kumbaga, GMC can be considered (well it is) the pioneer in industrializing Mactan Island!
Oist, GMC is such a good topic on the history of Mactan and/or Cebu, syempre even on the prominent surnames of Uytengsu and Young.
Anyway..,
Giant tanks "for rent"!
Takbo uli to the other side of the fastcraft! Ah, I missed the Petron Depot, but this is similar. I learned it is called a 'Tank Terminal'. A what?A bulk cargo terminal (along the shore for easy access by ships), crowded with gigantic round tanks, for stocking things like fuels, vegetable oil, etc,. - hehe wag sana magka-halo-halo ano?Unlike in that Petron Depot at left (white tanks na mukhang golf balls) these silo-like tanks on foreground are for short or long term leasing.
It's owned by a certain company (Arctura yata) then rented to smaller businesses that need to stock some raw materials/ingredients in tanks.
I heard it is not just the small companies, but even big ones too, that don't need huge tanks every day and forever. So, rent lang sila dyan!
Travel is really education. Sa kakatingin kaka-picture natin ng kung anu-ano, we get curious about things, we ask and we learn about them!
Bridge 2 has many names, Bridge 1 none
Then we were already passing under Bridge 2. I think I shot a short video clip as we did that. I will put that somewhere here - pag naluto na!The Mandaue-Mactan Bridge 2 is also called Marcelo Fernan Bridge. Si Bridge 1, no name!
Ganito yan... during planning and early stages of construction, news people (and politicians) referred to it as "Consolacion Bridge" or even "Lacion Bridge" - to easily differentiate it from Bridge 1, commonly called the "Mactan Bridge".
Then on inauguration by Erap in 1999, it was called "The 2nd Mandaue-Mactan Bridge" or "The 2nd Mactan-Mandaue Bridge" based on the preferences of anyone speaking. Ganern!
Some use 2nd Lapulapu-Mandaue Bridge, or the reversed 2nd Mandaue-Lapulapu Bridge.
Ang uban, especially people from the capitol kay isingit pa gayud ang word nga Cebu. Na!
Then came June 27, 2000. This Bridge 2 was re-named to be Marcelo B. Fernan Bridge via RA8795 - the 'longest' republic act I have ever read in my life - as in isang sentence lang. Da!
Walang whereas whereas wherefore wherefore now therefore na ka-artehan ng wordy flowery ek ek. Straight to the point. 'Pede naman pala!
Now ngayon karon yana subong... because of RA8795, I made gatong one pulitiko na "dapat si Bridge 1 aduna pud nga'an na in memory-of"!
Aw ay hehe, kinagat! Mag-file na dayon kuno! So mark my word dear fellow Pinoy Travelers, one of these days, si Mactan Bridge (Bridge 1) will also have a name nga tawo! Pupusta ako!
Whaahehehe! Anyway...
As is obvious, that 2nd bridge was erected to ease traffic since Bridge 1 wasn't enough na! Nowadays, both are always heavily congested!
Well there's talk as in sabi-sabi, haka-haka that the ever wanted 3rd bridge is being pushed by politicians (purportedly all Cebu congressmen). All I can say is, kahit mag-Bridge 4 pa, GORA!
Eh ang trapik trapik na dyan, grabe na ra ba.
Cebu Yacht Club
I looked to the Mactan side again.., expecting to see the cute little boats docked at the CYC as in Cebu Yacht Club. Me ganyan din dito oi!Alas dimalas, many of the cute'r' yachts were covered from this vantage by those bigger red & white ships that call the CYC their home too.Anyway, if you haven't been in that area, try to swing by. There are restaurants there, and the views are great - from early morning until late at night. Entrance is across the clock tower of Mactan Marina Mall in Pusok, Lapu-lapu City.
Northern end of Mactan Island
Then we were out of Mactan Channel, and the OceanJet 3 went faster. Here's Punta Engano:I was just taking a photo of the northern tip of Mactan. But as I did, I saw that plane about to land to Runway 22. Fantastic view, nice catch!Also worth noting pala that the northern tip of Punta Engaño (the northern-most barangay of Lapu-lapu City) is rapidly developing into what looks like a hip commercial-residential place.
When that happens, my 'fearless forecast' is: traffic will be crazy in this area or Brgy. Mactan.
Aru, if it is something similar (or bigger/better as 'crowd drawer') than Mactan Newtown that opened just recently, humanda na you Ladies & Gentlemen. They do not touch the barangay roads (na walang alternate routes) leading to their places - dahil di naman nila saklaw iyon.
Da epek, trapiiik - AS IN! Anyway...
Liloan, a view from the sea
And I told my royal self okay, no more island to watch here, so transfer again to port side! This:That's already part of the town of Liloan. Brgy. Catarman, Bagacay Point to be exact hehehe!How do/did I know that place down to minute details? Aw, wala lang. Here is that pic again:I think I've already mentioned that place in my previous blogs, like here. Haay, kelan pa kaya?!
Sabi nga ni Mana Zoi: 'kay sige ma it im lalaag nga bata ka, permis da anay bas it matikangan'!
With matching taga-Tubig nga accent yan ha!
Yes taga-Taft! I love you Mana Zoi!
Anyway, after Liloan, OceanJet was out in the open (Camotes Sea?) - but not for a long time.
Camotes Islands fly-by
After just 67mins this was my starboard view:I caught my self taking a deep breath, before I exhaled, inaudibly exclaiming 'wowness' hehe!Well, if you have been there, or you know that island.., you would agree with what I just said.
That's the western shore of Pacijan Island aka the town of San Francisco, Camotes Islands.
Those white sand beaches right to left should be Nonok, Bakhaw & Esperanza - I'm guessing!
What I am very-sure-of though is: behind all of them is the calm and serene Lake Danao Park.
Mangodlog would likely be to the right (not in photo) since that picture is already the north-western side of the island. Yep, I clicked late!
Oh, the little island at left edge of that photo?
It's here, left side. That's called Tulang Island.That island is part of San Francisco, and now slowly getting attention from vacationers and curious travelers because of Tulang Diot - you can see its white sandy beach on the south side facing and nearest to the main island - Pacijan.
And by the way, this area is a "corner". This is where big vessels take a 'right turn' to Ormoc!See that? That is still Tulang Island as Ocean Jet was maneuvering that right turn around it.
Ormoc would be somewhere in that haze of a landmass on the horizon (left edge of photo).
Merida
Next on my viewing pleasure would have been Ponson Island (aka the town of Pilar). That is if I stayed at starboard. Ah, I went portside. This:A chance for me to see the western shores of Merida. For what? To see for myself if it's true that this side has no sandy beach. True. Wala!From Isabel to Merida town center, everything is a lush & healthy mangrove forest. No beach.Yan si poblacion Merida viewed from the sea. The big building at left is Church of Latter Day Saints, while the other big structure at middle of the picture is the St. Isidore Parish Church.
The beaches of Merida are supposedly to the right, going towards Ormoc, at Brgy. Lamanoc.
Anyway, far as the OceanJet was, I could see the town's wharf/pier whatever. It looked wide & concreted-everywhere than what I can recall.
Aw hehehe, I guess I will never ever forget my "Ride of a Lifetime"! The craziest trip I ever did!
Anyway too, the OceanJet 3 arrived at Ormoc uneventful. I got off to find a connecting flight to Tacloban hehehe, that I already knew how - sa parking lot. Ah, you already know that drill!
Okay. The end muna. Itutuloy ang kwento!
#CentralVisayas #TravelPhilippines #OceanJet
Comments
Post a Comment