Cebu Pier 1, A New Look

Things change.

In the travel industry, many things change for the better. Especially when those who are in-charge think well for and in behalf of us, the traveling public. Example? Cebu's Pier 1.

It may not be the best (yet), but I have seen improvement/s here and there, that are worth appreciating. As one friend puts it it's starting to look like an airport. True diba?
Well it's still cramped, compared to the number of passengers during its peak times (afternoons to early evenings?). I took that picture early, at 9:01AM today, a Thursday.

I shot that from the vantage of the 2nd floor - or maybe I'll call it a mezzanine or loft.

But even at the entrance area pa lang, it's a bit more orderly - compared to 'before'.
Aw, maybe I should add: bisa'g unsaon kanindot ang facilities, kung ang tawo (kita ba) di m'tarung... aw barriotic gihapon. But look, people are already properly falling in line!

Those were my fellow passengers going to Ormoc. I wasn't sure about that man in stripe shirt though, nganong nag-suhot-suhot sya ngadto hahaha! Haagii hoy mano!

The x-ray area (with only 2 machines) is still a chokepoint that makes you impatient, and the authorities, other personnel, including the porters, don't pass through them.
Ay, don't debate me on that latter part. I know "security" systems and vulnerabilities.

Anyway, back at the 2nd floor, mezzanine, loft whatever. Tyke's Cafe pala ang name.

I don't know (yet) if Tyke's owns/manages every food outlet in this building...
But it is nice that there already are arang-arang facilities while we wait for boarding!

Somewhere on a wall of this building, I saw this lapida (or whatever it is called)!
Aw, this renovation was finished only recently. Two months ago, actually. Kaya pala.

Oh, but let me just say... whoever worded that "dedication", and syempre those who signed it, need more coaching on "ceremonial protocol, order of precedence, forms of address, titles & styles, and signing protocol". Walang kokontra dahil expertise ko yan!

Greatest fault: You do not put Hon (as in Honorable) on anything that you affix your signature to. "Hon" is an honorific used by other people to you. Not you to you! Gets?

Honorable means kagalang-galang, highness, respectable, kapita-pitagan. It's not a title. Other people use that on you, for you, bilang respeto at pag-galang sayo. Kuha?

Parang "mahal na pangulo" or "your royal highness". HINDI "mahal kong sarili"!

If you use HON beside your name and you sign it, e parang sinabi mo na "ang aking kamahalan". Ang yabang mo naman kung ganoon. Nagbubuhat ng sariling bangko.

That VADM is correct dahil title/rank nya yan. It's the same as Atty., Engr., Dr., etc.

Second fault: In ceremonial documents (or certificates, plaques, etc.) the highest rank or position is the last. Hindi una. UNLESS lagyan mo ng "Witnessed by:" before the name of the undersecretary. Dios mio Marimar, unsabana!

Hah, there are other blunders in that lapida hehehe but medyo petty na. Example: if you spell "Aguinaldo", the middle name of Jun Abaya, you should also fully spell the "G." for the middlename of Bucayan. Granting oks na yan, ba't walang period yung C ni Edmund?

Hay, little things that matter!

Now children... on critiquing mode na rin lang tayo... this made me laugh out loud!
A full floor layout of the whole terminal. Nice di ba? Until I read what's written inside those round red shapes. Ka-atay, gi-atay nga manunulay... nasaan ba talaga ako ha?

To understand what I'm saying, click the picture and read what's written inside each of those red circles. Lima yan! Then ask 'nasaan ka ba dyan sa map na yan'? Bogo-a!

Anyway, down by the boarding gates...

The blind musicians are still around. I love listening to ALL of their Visayan Songs.
Now look at the left edge of the picture - that's the gate's glass door. In these times, howsoever you refurbish public spaces, meron pa rin mga pasaway -may madre pa!

Barug ra gyud sya diha until boarding call was made. I was short of going up to her, to tell her that there were so many vacant seats, BECAUSE, other equally uncivilized minds started following her. Parang mga insik sa mainland. Nakikipag-unahan lagi.

Sister, sa panahon ngayon, meron na tayong tinatawag na Seat Number. Hindi pa ba nakarating sa monasteryo mo ang "good news" na yan? Bakit ka naka-umang dyan?

Ano, pagbukas ng gate, kakaripas ka na papasok ng fastcraft to grab your preferred seat? Juice ko sister, sa check-in counter na pinipili ang upuan ngayon! Umayos ka!

I really had a strong urge to tell her those. I wanted to say "chill ka lang sister. Rest In Peace ka lang at mag-rosaryo dyan sa colorful waiting lounge seats, andaming vacant".

Imagine, she stood there all the time, at nakilinya naman ang maraming ignoramus, even if the craft wasn't actually at the port yet. Enough time to pray the Holy Rosary!

Hindi magandang halimbawa.

All I said to my self was "ah, bahala them" hehe. Eto dumating din ang fastcraft.
It looks tiny in the photo, but that is OceanJet as it arrived at Pier 1, and later get us!

Fascinating to watch the baggage arrival process - that can still be improved on.
Okay, now that you've seen those 3 pictures, let me describe that whole process as:
  1. Those luggage came from the back of that craft. You can see there's still a porter and a passenger getting his big box back there.

  2. That outside-aft area of the boat is where luggage are stowed (whether checked-in at the counter and loaded by them, or carried by you during boarding).

  3. Big bags are not allowed inside the cabin because there's no space (except the front bulkhead area, that they in fact often use as luggage stowage).

  4. Upon arrival (the scene above), their porters (note their uniform says OceanJet) unload all those bags down to the pavement where you claim them - no fee.

  5. If you want your luggage carried by them until you get out-front of the building where you'll ride will be (that's about 150 meters)... that, has porterage fee.

  6. A guard (second-to-last photo above) checks to compare your baggage claim stub - if you checked that in. But if you were just told by the crew to put your bag at that aft section dahil malaki, pagka-lapag dyan sa semento, harbatin mo na!
See what I mean that it can still be improved? You all do it under the sun. And, what if it was raining? Where should that baggage releasing transpire? Dapat pag-isipan nila!

In the above scenario, when there are lots of baggage and/or lots of pasahero, si Manong Guard nalulusutan yan. Many times, I don't wait for him. Mainit kasi dyan!

At least bag ko lang naman ang binibitbit ko! What if there are masasamang-loob?!

One of these days I hope they (port authorities and shipping companies) review and improve on that. It looks like a simple thing, pero aba, masalimuot na usapin yan.

Anyway, we were boarded at the front door of the craft (sometimes it's at the back).
Great, not so full ride, with wonderful views, again - because this was on a clear day.

But let's continue that on my next story!
#CentralVisayas #TravelPhilippines #OceanJet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enchanted River, Hinatuan

Beware of JAM / Tritran Bus

Seaside Dampa, Macapagal Boulevard