Borbon Church

As said in the previous story, only few steps from the Borbon Museum and Heritage Bldg., is the Borbon Church or San Sebastian Martyr Parish Church of Borbon Cebu.
Call it good timing or whatever else, but when I reached the church grounds, another Sunday Mass was only starting. And I said: "maybe I should hear this whole service".

Shhh, sa Tabogon kasi, I left during sermon!

But first I looked behind me, and wow, this was the view from this church's grounds.
Yes, as I said earlier this church is perched on a high ground - a hill of some sorts. I had wonderful views of Camotes Sea (look at that ship, plus the residences below).

I walked a little further to the other end of the grounds for this better perspective...
I found there is actually another entrance/exit path (Sollano St.) down to the hi-way. It's narrow and steep though. Maybe just good for people walking or on motorbikes?

Amazing that facing this church with wide grounds, plus residences surrounding it, plus the school far at left, everything looks like any normal sea level community. But when you look east, you realize that you're many meters higher than most of Borbon!

Part of our history, right? In the past, people built churches on higher ground so that it was easier to see, if pirates were coming. This place is/was a "textbook example"!

Wait, teka, anay, kadiyot, dalilang.., I saw this:
On this same "church" grounds we are talking about. I wasn't sure if that thing still functions or if it's been sitting there for a long time now.

If you can't see it, click the photo, zoom if you must, look at the body of that jeep. Not really a good thing to read while you are in a church area at nagpapakabanal!

Oh okay, nagsimba tayo...
Maaliwalas, and not too uncomfortably warm even when full. Probably because the doors are wide and the structure is on a plateau still with many trees surrounding it.

Of course, just one look at it, it could not have been the church built in 1862! I have read somewhere that the church previous to this was flattened during World War II.

And they built a new church on the same site in 1962, which is most probably this.

Oh 2 years ago, they celebrated the 150th anniversary of this parish. Again, as I said in Tabogon, parish means the community, the flock - not the church physical edifice.
Oy btw, something new to me again... sesquicentennial pala ang 150th anniversary.

Imagine, if I were just sitting in the house, how would I know sesquicentennial, di ba?

Travel is fun learning.

So, laag pa more!

Let's go to Sogod.
#CentralVisayas #TravelPhilippines #borboncebu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enchanted River, Hinatuan

Beware of JAM / Tritran Bus

Seaside Dampa, Macapagal Boulevard